A thread for random thoughts about music (Volume 2, Electric Boogaloo)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hereby declare the banjo as the instrument of the '00s.

Much like the accordian became the bane....erm, instrument of the 80s (what with the whole roots rock revival, zydeco mini-craze, Weird Al, etc.) the banjo is now appearing in a band near you: Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Broken Social Scene, Bright Eyes, Modest Mouse....don't make me go on.

Now, in honor of this instrument of the inbred, I give you a celebratory haiku:

Moon-faced and Be-pluck'd,
    Oh Banjo, Who Knew Your Fate?
    Only Steve Martin.

2. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Hmmmm... what album is that on? I'd like to hear it, I love that song.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    it's on the major leagues single as well as on or two matador compilations.

4. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    is there a more satisfying yet offensive song than "Bullet" by the Misfits? Love that one.

5. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My latest purchase, The Hong Kong's Rock the Faces, has eight songs and is a little under 25 minutes long. For me, that's perfect. So, I'd just like to take a brief moment to praise the "short LP." I'm not talking about the four or five song EP. I'm talking about the album that has eight to ten songs and clocks in at around 30 minutes. Perhaps I suffer from ADHD, but I'm tired of artists feeling that they need to fill up an album with 70 to 80 minutes worth of music with half of the songs being mediocre to terrible.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You'd love the Elefant Disc. Ten songs, just over 32 minutes. Not one poor song on it.

7. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Mine's always "Last Caress".

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was driving home last night from the Nats game I heard Chumbawamba's "On eBay" -- who gave them the right to have a second decent song?

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started off the radio show I did yesterday with two songs off Gram Parsons' GP/Return of the Grievous Angel. Which got me thinking: is Emmylou Harris still one of the most preternaturally beautiful women around, or what? And what a voice. She's been around longer than I've been alive and I just don't know where to begin with her stuff.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gray gives her an attractive "wild child" look, like she weathered the storm and came out stronger as a result.

[​IMG]

11. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how in the hell there was ever an argument about which Shins album is better.

"Oh, Inverted World" is good....but "Chutes Too Narrow" absolutley blows it away.

That is all.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Happy Birthday Otis Redding! he would have been 63 years old today! :)

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It amazes me that Love Spit love really only had one great song. "Am I Wrong." The rest is pretty much crap.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a week old, but I think Donald Leslie -- the man who gave the whirrr to the Hammond B-3 -- deserves a shout out:

Donald Leslie, creator of the Leslie keyboard speaker, dies at 93

LOS ANGELES - Donald James Leslie, who created and manufactured a speaker that refined the sound of the Hammond organ and helped popularize electronic music, has died. He was 93.

Leslie was captivated with the sound of the Hammond organ when he heard it at a Barker Bros. furniture store in downtown Los Angeles, where he worked repairing radios. In the store's large showroom, the organ introduced in 1935 sounded much like a theater or church pipe organ.

However, Leslie, was unimpressed with the organ's sound quality in the confined spaces of his home.

He began tinkering with devices to make the instrument sound more like labyrinthine pipe organs....

[​IMG]

The magic ingredient? The spinning speakers . . . .

[​IMG]

Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Joey DeFrancesco, Richard "Groove" Holmes, Lonnie Smith, Medeski Martin & Wood and millions of others say "Thank You, Mr. Leslie."

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No doubt as do Gregg Allman, Tom Costner, Jon Lord, Ken Hensley etc...

as you said, millions :)

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'll be damned if "The Different Story (The World of Lust & Crime)" by Peter Schilling doesn't sound one hell of a lot like "True Faith" by New Order.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I must be desperate for the verve to reunite. Why? because Waiting for the Sun by The Shore is one of my favorite songs of the moment. And it sounds like nothing more than a watered down Urban Hymns outtake.

18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember a year like this where I've heard so many new acts that I loved -- Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, M83, Secret Machines, and now the new Radio 4 are all insanely good. And to top things off, we get the Patron Saint of the BSMTVM Board, Ted Leo, with a new album in October. None of it is particularly original but I couldn't care less.

About the only thing that's been disappointing this year are the cuts I've heard from the Mooney Suzuki's Alive and Amplified, but I'll probably still buy it eventually.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Add to that list for me; the delays, elefant, and a triumphant return by trash can sinatras and I have the same feelings as you bout 2004.

20. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Couldn't agree with you more. 2004 has been a banner year so far. I'd add Ambulance Ltd., The Hong Kong, The Cardigans, and Federico Aubele to your list. And don't forget -- we have the new Interpol album coming at the end of the month.

21. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    So true, it shoulda been a 5 song-ep.

Hold your horses on buying it...I've got a couple extra. I'll trade you one for a mixdisc.

22. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deal. What do you want on what I send you, considering you own everything already? :)

I forgot TV On The Radio on my first list, and I wasn't even getting into music from established artists -- the Loretta Lynn album is incredible, as is the final (?) GBV album.

But man, I'm listening to the new Radio 4 right now, and it's drop-dead great. "Shake The Foundation" is another song of the year candidate -- there's a bit of Gang of Four, a bit of Joe Jackson. Butt-shaking rock all around. When I saw them a few years ago opening for The Shins at Maxwell's, I thought they were pleasant enough but nothing like this.

23. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Hardly! Whatever, no need to make a new one, just send me a copy of whatever you send to the mixtape list next. PM me your address and I'll get it to you pronto.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    For the first time in what seems like ages, I bought CDs, like the kind that already has music burned on it, from an actual brick and mortar store where cash is exchanged directly from customer to store employee, and credit cards are physically read by scanners. That was quite a rush.

Got the Garden State soundtrack and the new Northern State (neither was available in full form at the iTunes store). Both $10.99+tax, both excellent.