A thread for random thoughts about music (Volume 2, Electric Boogaloo)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not on an album, they've just done it live. Well, it's conceivable it's on a live album. However, they've released over 20 multidisc live albums so it's not like I have all the setlists in my head. :D I do own them all however, so I will check. I'd be happy to send you a copy.

I saw them do it at a New Year's Eve show once and it was great, and I love Hot Rats.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks man, I'll look into my brothers collection. It's pretty extensive. Hot Rats is great, check out "Live in New York" a true classic.

3. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't get that comparison, either.

I need to pick up both of those CD's (Elefant and the Streets, I mean).

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

if i ever get my ******** together i can lend them to you if you want to burn a copy, provided you aren't opposed to such actions.

5. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Do you ever get into a mood where you just gotta hear some Staxx/Volt? I sure do.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wow, it's like the people who run the Flashback Alternatives internet radio station have known me my entire life.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I felt the same way after I tuned into Deep Tracks on XM radio. They're playing Montana by Frank Zappa as we speak.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm shocked that I like the Chris Robinson song on this new sampler I'm listening too. I also can't believe how this They Might Be Giants song sounds not any different than something on Lincoln

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't decide whether the Polyphonic Spree are a cult or not:

[​IMG]

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see them and not think of the Age of Aquarius. But fad may be a better description than cult.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a deep track? I thought it was his most well-known. Going to Montana soon. Going to be a dental floss tycoon.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I turned on MTV at about 10:45 last night and saw PolySpree doing "Hold Me Now" at the MTV VMA's. (It ended with Tim being risen up by wires over the stage, thus proving once and for all that he thinks he's Jesus.) How'd they get that gig? Did Lil Jon back out at the last minute?

I then stuck around and watched the OutKast medely to finish. Big Boi (who did "The Way You Move" and "Ghetto Musick") is the best-dressed man in rap, and maybe the only rap artist I really enjoy listening to, even if I have no clue what the hell he's saying.

13. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    VH1 Classic has a block of Yes videos running right now. Yes inflicted some really woeful sh!t on the world.

14. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    i enjoy the new sahara hotnights so much. it reminds me of listening to poptopia compilations. but with four supercute, well-dressed girls instead of skinny, lovelorn nerds. this is so weird... it's so different from the cologne techno and troubleman unlimited post-hardcore stuff i've been listening to. but it's good. peppy. yay.

15. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 15 yeard old cousin gave me copies of all the hip-hop and rap he listens to... and I find it all strangely listenable. g-g-g-g-unit!

16. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That is some fun music. They get ripped on for ripping off The Runaways, but that doesn't bother me.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    oooo.....new delgados track on kexp sounds quite nice.

18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Catholic Church down the block, St. Augustine's, had a big garage sale this weekend.

I bought 7 vinyl LPs, all in excellent, excellent shape, for $0.50 each.

Ravi Shankar -- Sitar ragas
    I can't remember the label, but I didn't know it. But the cover is completely psychedelic and the album is quite good.

Stan Getz & Horace Silver: Two Kings
    Two jazz giants on some obscure label I've never heard of (can't remember it). Thought it might be crap, but it is a completely swingin session with great sound quality.

The Gaylords: Party Style
    Cheeseball, whitebread pre-rock 50s stuff. They cover Oscar Brown Jr.'s "But I Was Cool." Strictly novelty. Great Vegas cover.

Mariachi Mexico
    Old, old school Mariachi group (actually called Mariachi Mexico--creative, I know). Excellent record in excellent shape.

The Sentinals: Big Surf
    [​IMG]
    FANTASTIC surf album on Del-FI. Mint condition.

Martin Denny: Exotica
    [​IMG]
    All time lounge classic. Mint condition vinyl.

Keely Smith: Swing You Lovers
    [​IMG]
    Keely Smith is the female voice on all the great Louis Prima tracks you've ever heard. And this is a rockin find. Fantastic swingin album with great arrangements.

Funfact to know and tell:
    In February of 1999, California Doucheb...err Governor Gray Davis and the Lt. Governor were out of state. Senate President Pro Tem John Burton was therefore acting Governor and he immediately proclaimed February 5 as "Keely Smith Day" in California.

John Burton: I salute you.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard the worst cover I've ever heard.

Novaspace (whoever that is) doing Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning." It can be found on iTunes, and it is awful.

20. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I dunno I heard Echo & the Bunnymen's "Killing Moon" covered by Pavement today. BUt ya'll know how I feel about pavement

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously haven't gone to iTunes to sample that turd sandwich. Your love for the music of Echo & the Bunnymen would have to be pretty massive, because Midnight Oil is a top 5 band for me, and hearing it done as crappy dance music honestly hurt my feelings.

23. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I've got more than a handful of Echo albums in my collection

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    31 Midnight Oil CDs...I'm just saying. :p ;)