A Team Canada Thread (again...) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by gousa9, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey guys-

since the last team canada thread (which was the BEST...sniff...i'm gonna miss it...) went el desperado, i thought i would restart a new thread, and hopefully build it up once again.

so umm....to start it off, i would just like to point out that if you check out the CSA player pool (http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/w_wc/roster.asp), i thought i would point out that all the players that took part in the canada/norge game have new head shots. (i love new head shots!!!)

i heard players talking about taking them at a practice, so i've been checking out the CSA pretty much every day to see if they updated it, and they just did! so check it out if ya wish!!!

elaine

ps- i wonder if they'll "update" other players' pics that weren't at camp (ie. walsh, kiss, wright etc...) that should be back with the team in the fall...or is it just a once in a year type thing???

2. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Sportsnet has confirmed it will be broadcasting games from the FIFA U-19 World Championship next month.

A schedule in .pdf format can be downloaded here.

3. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    From the CSA site. Dumb site won't display the proper addy for the direct link to the article. Here's a few details and our roster.
    Go here and click on Women's U19 for the full write up.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/index.asp

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Women’s Under-19 Head Coach Ian Bridge today announced his 18-player roster for a training camp and two-game series against Chinese Taipei in Victoria (July 28) and Vancouver (July 31). These games are part of The Road to the World Championship Games, being used as preparation for the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship.
    Sunday, July 28 vs Chinese Taipei - Centennial Stadium, Victoria, BC 4:00 p.m. local time
    Wednesday, July 31 vs Chinese Taipei - Swangard Stadium. Vancouver, BC 7:30 p.m. local time
    Sunday, August 11 vs Brazil - Foothills Stadium, Calgary, AB 11:00 a.m. local time

UNDER-19 WOMEN’S TEAM ROSTER
    Name Pos. Hometown D.O.B. Club
    Erin McLeod GK Calgary, AB 26/2/83 Southern Methodist University
    Jessica Hussey GK Kanata, ON 2/9/83 Ottawa Fury
    Sasha Andrews D Edmonton, AB 14/2/83 Southern Methodist University
    Robyn Gayle D Mississauga, ON 31/10/85 unattached
    Christina Kahlina D Sherwood Park, AB 29/3/83 University of Alberta
    Heather Smith D New Westminister, BC 26/7/83 University of British Columbia
    Myriam Gousse M Brossard, QC 23/5/85 Lac St-Louis Lakers
    Caroline Vaillancourt M/F Charlesbourg, QC 2/2/85 Dynamo de Quebec
    Melanie Booth M Burlington, ON 24/8/84 Burlington Flames
    Candace Chapman M/F Ajax, ON 2/4/83 University of Notre Dame
    Clare Rustad M Salt Spring Island, BC 27/4/83 University of Washington
    Katie Thorlakson M Langley, BC 14/1/85 University of Notre Dame
    Kara Lang F Oakville, ON 22/10/86 Oakville
    Amy Vermeulen F Saskatoon, SK 23/11/83 University of Wisconsin
    Carmelina Moscato F Mississauga, ON 2/5/84 Ottawa Fury
    Britanny Timko F Coquitlam, BC 5/9/85 Burnaby Panthers
    Michelle Rowe F Calgary, AB 17/5/84 Calgary Blizzard
    Christine Sinclair F Burnaby, BC 12/6/83 University of Portland

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    u19 results

hey there-

canada U19s played their first game against chinese taipei, and had a field trip winning 9-1.

canadian goals by:
    Christine Sinclair (2)
    Katie Thorlakson
    Kara Lang (2)
    Brittany Timko (3)
    Michelle Rowe

for the game report, it's here: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=821

i would also like to say that i started a small section at my team canada site about u19 championships, so check it out if you wish!

http://gobigred.sinfree.net

elaine

ps- redcard mod, would it be possible you put a [R] in the thread title? just cause there will be results here! thanks!

5. fanofall

fanofall New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Good to see that there is a bit of info flowing through here again, I figured many people had abandoned ship in frustration. There was a story-line to the old thread and we tuned in to see what would happen next. Enforced cold turkey is tough. Look forward to some interesting views about all the up-coming games in B.C.

6. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    sniff...i miss the old thread....it had all the player updates i did...and i'm soooooooooo not feeling like re-finding all that info!!!!

oh well...hopefully there will be more to report on soon!!!!!!!

elaine

7. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Just got back from the game. The attendance was good 5, 581 I think was what they announced.

It was a lot of a rout. The game was 2 nothing before I arrived. I arrived around minute 22. Chinese TaiPei never seemed to quit, but they were very overmatched. Team Canada is tall, our defense looked very solid. The coach subbed 4 players at the half (6-0 at that point) including the keeper. Not sure where to start with on what went wrong for the Chinese team. The keeper seemed timid and did/was not able to get to very many balls on the ground which translated into Canadian goals. Most of the goals in the second half came from defensive errors. Sinclair was subbed out around minute 60. Lang was also subbed out. At somewhere around minute 80 our sweeper #4 was moved upto forward. She's very tall and just missed a header infront of the Chinese net. I think team Canada used all their subs.Canada was getting their mids back to help the defense, the Chinese were not.

The RCMP was out in force replete with bullet proof vests which was odd.

8. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey loma-

thanks for your report! glad you made it out to the game...

i'm glad coach ian got to use so many of his players...he'll have to annouce his final roster after this series, and i look forward to seeing who makes it!!!

i think canada has definitely a good chance to advance to the next round...they have denmark, japan and nigeria in their group.

from what i heard, not much is known about nigeria's u19 side...but if they play anything like their full side, they should be quick, fast and athletic...

i'm sure i can find the answer to this, but i wonder why china didn't qualify for this?? i believe japan and chinese taipei are representing asia, and after seeing the results vs. chinese taipei, they aren't a too strong of a side. so japan should definitely be a better side, and give canada a good match.

so will the denmark game....can't wait for the tourney to kick off!

elaine

9. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    canada sucks

10. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    I thought China would have qualified too.

It took me until today to figure out that Chinese Taipei is Taiwan. I guess its the politically sensitve name given the tension between Taiwan and the mainland. I think we have a really strong team and maybe the Chinese Taipei team was still jet lagged. On of my co-workers came back from the Phillipines on Sunday and she's still not quite adjusted. Plus Canada is playing at home with many of our key scorers playing near or in their home towns.

11. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    chinese taiwan also suck at most sports except little league baseball

12. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    uh huh...but look at the teams...defending olympic champs norge didn't qualify for this either...so who knows??

and yup, chinese taipei is taiwan...i wonder which flag they will be using to represent them. the fifa u19 site has the taiwan flag, and i'm sure officially they'll use the chinese taipei one...

i really can't wait for this to start!!!!

GO CANADA!

elaine

13. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    update

hey guys-

heard that the team will not be taking part in the 2002 pacific cup as planned....for various reasons.

for club updates (like i did before), check out my site with the info.

http://gobigred.sinfree.net

elaine

14. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    u19 update

hey-

here's a new press release from the CSA:
    since it's so close to the start, i assume these players will make the final 18 player roster...

elaine

15. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    yea yea!

hey-

as posted over at the w-league forum...they've released all their all-stars and awards etc...and we've got a few canucks in there!
    yea yea!!!

to be honest, kinda surprised that izzy made first-team, although i can't say i'm not happy!!! glad she's being recognized!!!!

also, happy that cindy got the nod, as i think she did an awesome job w/the inferno this year...hopefully she'll crack back into the national team pool soon!!!!

yea yea!!! i wonder if the WPSL has any allstars like this...although i'm kinda urked about how they handled "everything" that went down in terms of the championship game....oh well...

go canucks!!!! hope vancouver kicks some butt this weekend and bring the w-league title to canada!!! yee haw!!!

will be gone for a few days...so see ya all later

elaine

16. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Wow,I'm kind of surprised to see so few Breakers on that list. Esp. Sinclair. Haven't managed to get to any games this season despite having bought season's tickets. Its mostly down to bad timing (we're going away this weekend) and not being issued a chunk of tickets at one time. TM was supposed to mail them or so they said and gee they never arrived and I have to go to the Stadium to get them (each game individually) which never really happened and is really dumb b/c I'd have loved to give a few of the tickets away to people who could make the games. (If you go away for the weekend what're you supposed to do wait around until the stadium opens?)

TM really had no clue either I had to negotiate on the phone for about an hour before I could even purchase the damn things b/c they had no idea what I was talking about.

17. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    u19 wc roster

hey-

here's the final 18 player roster for canada for the u19 world championships:(Players in bold have been capped by the sr. team)
    GO CANADA!

elaine

18. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    isabelle harvey's status??

hey there-

just got back from LA, and low and behold i checked up on the situation with isabelle harvey and Cal State LA, and i found this new press release:

http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/athletic/media0203/20812soccer-coach.htm
    i'm happy that isa has this, and i'm for sure she's gonna make an awesome head coach...BUT i do have some thoughts about this:

One: how will this effect her position on team canada? she's the HEAD COACH of BOTH the women's and men's team at CSLA, and soccer season is in the fall. there has been no annoucement whether isa will have an asst. coach, and the fact that they couldn't find a head coach speaks greatly to the lack-of-people-avaliable for the job...so if she doesn't even have an asst. coach (like she herself was last year), she's in charge of TWO PROGRAMS BY HERSELF!!! ::yikes!!!::

Two: how will she juggle that w/her commitments w/team canada? gold cup starts this fall, and i know there will be tons of camps in BC leading up to it (the first starting on sept 9)...who's going to be in charge at CSLA if or when she's training with team canada? [Edit:] I looked at the CSLA fall schedule, and they have a slew of games in september...september 2, 5, 7, 11, 14...that will conflict with training camp on the 9th)

Three: i distinctively remember that i had a nice-long conversation with isa after one of team canada's practices before the norway game, and i mentioned how i was happy she was the asst. coach @ CSLA...i then said something about their search for a head coach, and kidded that it would be too tough for her to do that along with her commitments to canada, and she agreed, and said that she definitely could not be the head coach and still be active with team canada. why the change of mind now?? if she's planning on participating with canada throughout preparations for the gold cup and the actual tourney, she could be gone for weeks at time, during the soccer season. (CSLA is a DII school...)

so what does this all mean for isa? any thoughts? does this signal maybe a change for her in status regarding to team canada? i hope not. eventhough she didn't play in the norway match, i still consider isa one of the team's best players, and i think very valuable to ANY team...so i hope i'm just going out on a limb here!

isa's one of the FITTEST and FASTEST players on the team...known for her work-rate and versatility. i remember reading about how she led the '99 wwc team in fitness testing, and how she prides herself on that...a person like that can only enhance a team, and the fact that she's a pretty good soccer player as well makes her a complete package...(but hey, maybe you can say i'm biased...)

will try to find our more info if i can...

elaine

19. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    coming up in the fall...

hey-

thought i would make a post here...

since canada is not participating in the pacific cup as planned, the next scheduled "thing" for the team is a training camp that starts this september 9th/10th (not sure which date...i know it's one of those days...)

it'll be a week long camp in either victoria or vancouver (again, i'm not sure which location, but one of the two)...i'm kinda bummed that all these camps leading up to the gold cup is on the west coast (well, it makes sense, since they're gonna play out west)....but i was hoping that maybe ONE would be close to me so that i could check it out!! ::::sigh:::: lol

also, i heard that if possible, all players that are part of the team should relocate to BC for sept/oct so that they can train "full time"...so even when these camps are not going on, i'm sure there's SOMETHING that's happening....i hear there will be another camp mid/late september and again in october...so i think 2-3 camps in preparation for gold cup.

norman decosta wrote an article a few days ago for the toronto star in which he interviewed coach even about the upcoming preparations for gold cup, and how about 9 (i think it was 9...) players that are playing for the u19s could possibly make the gold cup roster....so definitely lots of competition for the veterans etc. coach also said that he would LIKE to play another national team before the gold cup...i'm looking at the other thread and it seems like australia, russia and italy will be in the US for nike cup in early october, so maybe they could match up with one of those teams in a friendly before/after that tourney.

when i heard that nike cup was in early october, i thought that canada would participate, being that we always do somehow (with close proximity), but then i thought that with gold cup just a few weeks from that, that either team wouldn't want to face each other...so it makes sense...i think it could be very possible to play one of those 3 teams before they head back home to their native countries...

if not, coach said that they would scrimmage against boy teams...so that would be interesting!!!

i hope they release a roster for this upcoming camp soon...i'm really looking forward to seeing who'll be there and who won't. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe the u19 players will have this first camp "off", as they are just finishing playing the u19 world cup, and should deserve a break.

and speaking of the u19s players...i also wonder about the players that have college commitments, and how they're gonna juggle that.

during concacaf '98, i know the nebraska players missed the first few games of their college season to play for canada. however, since concacaf '98 was finished in early september, gold cup isn't until later in the fall--right in the midst of ncaa seasons.

will players leave and take part? (i think they would...they want their spots on the roster) will they be at all these projected training camps???

i'm curious to find out how this goes!!!! but either way, i'm looking forward to this fall...it's gonna be lots of fun to follow and watch!!!

sorry this is so long...you can tell i'm bored and have stuff flying around in my head! lol :D

elaine

ps- the situation with isabelle harvey...CSLA recently annouced an asst. coach....so hopefully that means he can be in charge of everything and run the show while isa is away fulfilling her national team commitments...

20. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    With all the up-and-coming U-19 players, Izzy may well have a tough time holding down her NT position if she can't particpate in trainingcamps, etc.

21. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    when i read that it totally freaked me out, cause i was thinking....IZZY??? but then i realized you mean ISA (as in harvey, not morneau), and i couldn't agree with you more!!! that's why the fact she was named interim head coach sorta throw me off a bit and raise a flag...hopefully that's not the case and she'll be at camp getting her spot!!!

elaine

22. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I went over to Sportsnet.ca to find out about the switch for the time for Canada's semifinal(It happened) and I saw that they have two videos on the team. One is on Kara Lang and another is on the win against England. However, when I click on it it doesn't work. I have windows media player so I don't know what's wrong. Does anybody know?

23. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    I got my Media Player to work - sort of. The video was a series of stills and the sound was intermittent. I'm running Windows 95 with a DSL connection.

24. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Well, I have ME and it didn't work. O, well. I'll be getting the highlights show on tape but I wondered about two things. One did anybody get the Brazil v Australia match on tape? Also I wish you could do People searches on this site but I was looking for a couple of people who I haven't seen around here in a long time. One was named Norskie and the other had Lyn in their username. Does anybody know what happened to them?