A Sorry Statistic

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GooseGirl, Aug 1, 2002.

1. GooseGirl

GooseGirl Member

Jun 8, 2000
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Forget making the playoffs, with a new coach and some new players, we should at least finish better than we have for the past two years. As you may recall, DC won 8 games in 2000 and again in 2001. So far this season, we have won exactly 6.

How many matches do we have left in which to improve on this sorry statistic? Four home and four away. I see no good reason (other than random chance) why our winless-on-the-read streak will change anytime soon. So, ignoring those away matches, we'll need to win--as in, score more goals than the opponents--two of our four home games to equal our record of the past two seasons, and three of our four home games to better it.

Of our remaining RFK opponents, who could we realistically beat? Probably not league-leading San Jose. Possibly the Wizards, since we already bested them once at RFK this year (though they've returned the favor twice at Arrowhead). Hopefully the Metrostars, if only on the strength of the anicent and bitter rivalry. That leaves the Burn, who beat us at RFK back in April and are now tied for second place in the Western Conference.

As I said, forget making the playoffs, or even climbing out of the cellar; it will be a formidable obstacle for this team even to get to 8 or 9 wins.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The DC United forum on BigSoccer has been such a fun place to visit lately :rolleyes:

3. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Seriously. I'm supposed to be enjoying this!!

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shut up fool. Hmmmm. Stop all that jibber jabber.

;) (where's the emoticon for Mr. T?)

5. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Alright. NOW I'm enjoying this. That made me laugh. I'm impressed Lowecifer, you've referenced both Mr. T and Roy Orbison within a matter of minutes here on BigSoccer. You got an outlet for all that energy?? ;)

Back on topic, maybe the BB/SE/LaNorte should pool some funds and hire Mr. T to come in and help Ray Hudson with pre-game and halftime pep talks.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think we should all pool some funds together and hire Johnny Cochran and get our money back! :rolleyes: If this isn't grounds for severe emotional distress, I don't know what is.

7. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I pity the foo that can't score goals! My Grandma could score more goals than you foooos!

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You want entertainment and historical references? My office is next to Pier 6 Concert Pavilion in the Inner Harbor, here in Baltimore. When I was walking home from work on Tuesday, the fans were lining up outside. For who, you ask?

JOURNEY

Oh yes! It was like I crossed the bridge over the putrid-smelling Jones Falls and into 1983. Butt-parted mullets and tight jeans were de rigeur, and the number of Journey:Escape t-shirts grew to numbers which cannot be counted without a calculator (or at least an abacus). The sad part was, Journey was crap with Steve Perry, and these good people were prepared to spend money on seeing the band with some kind of replacement singer.

It was all I could do to keep my belly laughs inside.

9. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Ray Hudson: "...was our hero. He rose like a young salmon out of a lovely, babbling brook. He just kissed it home. Tremendous little ..."

Mr. T: "Shut up, fool! Stop all that jibber jabber..."

:D

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

Hmmmm....

Check out this link to see what Mr. T has to say about the last game.

11. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    In our old dearly, departed bigsoccer, we discussed how many games we though DC would win this season.

I think we said that 8 of 32 games won last year was 25% and we hoped that they would win more than that this year. 7 of 28 games is 25%, so we still need to win two more games to do better than last year.

First, I think we need to score.

12. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Actually, last year was a 28 game season as well, minus the last 2 games which were cancelled after 9/11.

So we only played 26. Which means we need another 3 wins this year to better last season percentage-wise!

But you are right, first we need to score.

:(

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Baby steps first.

DC United needs to score first.

14. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i say we get Pee-Wee Herman to do his Mr. T impression...

"I pity the fool that don't eat my cereal"