a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I prefer to remain objective. I'm tired of watching the Quakes embarrass our community year after year. And it's not just that I hate that we're the leagues doormat every year, I think it's terrible for the growth of our sport and, I think it puts the future viability of a team in SJ at risk. So, we see this differently, possibly because I don't have a cozy relationship with the FO. and again, for the umpteenth time, I don't fault players, coaches, or FO staff for Quakes failure every year...I think they're all doing the best they can under impossible circumstances - it all starts (and ends) at the top, but we all know that.

bostero24 repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

(Emphasis added).

I'm sure John Fisher has no idea the team sends, or has ever sent over the years, holiday cards.

Objectively, this is small stuff. Don't sweat it. :)

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I think it's a nice touch. I'm sure STH numbers have plummeted, dramatically. I'd be surprised if they have more than a few hundred left anymore. And we know how important STH's are to the health and viability of a MLS team. Seems like the least they could do is send y'all a scarf and a Christmas card. I honestly don't care about any of that stuff...

...I simply want to see a strong off-season performance from Chris Leitch (build us a competitive roster for crying out loud, that's ready to go on opening day!) and a strong start to 2023.

not sure what he's waiting for, maybe he has some big Xmas announcements lined up. :cautious:

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They did send scarves as season ticketholder gifts -- one for each seat. @Earthshaker posted re this previously.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    BTW, one of my season ticket scarves and the holiday post card will ultimately go to the museum, which should have quite a collection of Quakes holiday cards by now. :)

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that's what I'm saying...that's the least they could do. I saw the scarves. my point is that I don't care about any of that fluff...all I want for Christmas is a competitive roster...a full arsenal.

Let's go Chris Leitch! we're all waiting, patiently. :)

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A full arsenal? I assumed you would want our team to be fully united.:p

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I’d like our fans to be united, against the tyranny of the fish. :)

Stand up!

9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO: I pay for Red Bull and TFC season tickets just so I can get the free gifts every year. They send the best stuff ever.

Red Bull gave us a thermal coffee mug, media guide, scarf, plaque, coffee table book and Legends poster with Tony Meola, McCarty, Angel, Henry, BWP, Mendes, Long, Mathis, and Goldthwaite.

Waiting on TFCs present.

I don't give the Quakes any money anymore. F*ck Game Day staff

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Alyssa is great, but she's single-handedly trying to keep that department afloat. After my prior (insulting) rep, I reserve judgment on "personal attention." It may be the wrong kind of personal attention.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. She used to be our rep. When our existing rep was trying to get us to rejoin, my wife would just bypass him to Alyssa.

Agree, the reps have been hit or miss. Never bad (as in insulting), but usually just clueless.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I always try to get to know my rep, going back 20 years now. Take them to lunch at least annually. I recommend it. Makes for a better fan experience.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably four of my last six reps I haven't spoken to once. I get my tickets, don't usually have much need to talk about anything else.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I often have special requests for extra tickets to given games or for marketing items like posters for the museum. I also ask for my tickets to be printed (for which I pay an extra fee). So, I suppose I'm high maintenance.

Then there's serendipity. One of my former reps, Danny, introduced me to Maya's Honduran restaurant in West San Jose, which is a team favorite. Owner is huge Quakes fan and food is awesome and reasonably priced. Have run into players there occasionally.

Also, one time Danny and I were chatting in the stadium before one of the games and the conversation turned to an upcoming Sharks / Sabres game. I told him if he was ordering tickets, grab me an extra and I would reimburse him. He ended up finagling a suite for the entire Quakes ticket staff from his Sharks contact, and invited me along. I ended up with a free Sharks ticket in a suite. (I wore my Sabres jersey and took some good-natured heckling from the Quakes employee crowd (all Sharks fans).) :)

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Danny is great. Once I got out of the moat, though (final year = 2019) I got the retreads. I sensed frustration from Alyssa when I talked to her earlier this year.

16. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As a Terrace Pass holder, I no longer have a rep. When I need something (like yesterday when I had questions about tickets to the MBFC preseason match), I just call the main number and speak to whomever has the misfortune of taking my call. They are usually helpful. The turnover is so quick that I have given up trying to remember everyone's name or even visiting the season ticket tent before matches.

Adam Zielske from the early Buck Shaw days was particularly good. I had Nick Harmelin for the last few years at Spartan. He stayed on with AEG and transferred to the Galaxy. He hooked me up with MLS Cup 2008 tickets. I think he moved on again to the Revolution and eventually opened a restaurant in hometown Philadelphia.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alyssa gave me a private tour of the stadium right after it was completed. (yeah, I know, they still need to complete one side.).

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do you mean David Zielstra?

Nick Harmelin was great. I kept in contact with him for years. He scored me a Nike team jacket when the team left that I still wear regularly today. Also, lots of team posters.

We used to go regularly to an amazing Mexican restaurant in my 'hood called Las Brasas, with out-of-this-world huaraches. Nick couldn't get enough. Family-owned in old Victorian house across from the former Casa Vicky on Julian Street. Went defunct after the matriarch-chef passed away.

2620AAF0-4D23-4D43-AD3F-904F97E9C84D.jpeg
    Posters from Nick Harmelin in garage man cave.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  19. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, definitely Adam Zielske. I doubt you remember, but Nick Harmelin introduced us to each other at the table they used to have on the upper concourse at Spartan. I still recall his description of the terrible security/police beating of Galaxy supporters, including #1 Galaxian Linda Pickle, at a 2004 Spartan game when someone had the stupid idea to put them in a section together with home fans behind the Galaxy bench.

Oh, nostalgia. Now I recall the young woman (name forgotten) who set up a SF group in 2004. She organized viewing parties at the Kezar Pub and brought along Alexi Lalas to one of them. He bought us all drinks. At season's end, she wrote an email saying that this was not her dream job in soccer after all. She and her husband invited us to a small party at their house in Potrero Hill for New Year's Day 2005.

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Was at a party last night and some relatively recent Quakes fans (<10 years) were blown away that I've been going to games since the 70's and have been a season ticket holder most of those years. They asked if the F.O. ever recognize us 'long-timers". I looked at right at them and said, "Nope, never!".

Small team, indeed...

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’ll recognize you. Free beer on me in the new season. Remind me with a PM in the week before opening day.

vamanoshasta repped this.
  22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #6022 Quakes05, Dec 18, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    I was at a party last night too, talking to a big soccer fan who lives in Willow Glen, he was at the WC in Brazil, he mostly remembers Wondo for that game vs Belgium and his big miss. I had to mention a couple of times that he is also MLS's top goal scorer. He's been to a few Quakes games here and there but describes the quality as so poor that it's hard for him to stay interested. He's part of that demo that the Quakes have failed to capture, loves the game, doesn't take the Quakes seriously.

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would be lumped into the "Euro snobs" category on BS. Frankly, I don't think that it's worth the effort to pull in those fans. Not that he is wrong about the quality, but there are other reasons tied to watching and cheering on the Quakes. Those qualities obviously don't matter to them. What maters is quality and that won't change for a while. Once the quality improves, they will come!

Goodsport and don gagliardi repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, guy lives in Willow Glen but doesn't care about San Jose's team. Asshole.

Earthshaker, bsman and Goodsport repped this.