a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much would 65 acres cost here and where would it be?

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We've talked about repurposing roofs for soccer facilities. Like Facebook has a 9 acre recreational area on top of one of their newer buildings. What else can you do when every available scrap of land is being developed?

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I don't think we need the Audi lot or at least not the current size of it. Also right next door is an empty Lowes, that could field a lot of indoor space for fields and training rooms. Put it all together and you can have two outdoor fields and numerous indoor fields for all year training.

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Looks like Atlanta is going to sign Damm, I guess we didn't even try for him. :(

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ahem. The title of this thread? ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

;)

markmcf8, DotMPP and Beerking repped this.
  6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Gloom, despair and agony on us.... :(

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured Almeyda's star power would have been able to secure a marquee signing by now. Let's see how this summer plays out.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Star power doesn't pay salaries.

markmcf8, Futbol_Head, 2in10 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Neither does Fisher...:D

10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBI has Espinoza 48, Vako 61, Yueill 80 and Lima 100.
    https://sbisoccer.com/2020/02/the-m...-and-lodeiro-headline-list-of-top-mls-players

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I like how they tried to angle the pic so there were some shiny new buildings in there.

Boysinblue repped this.
  12. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Btw, that Revs training center is $35 million w/out any real estate cost, right? They built it on their stadium campus.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I could definitely see the argument for their inclusion, and in that order, as well. Though maybe Yueill would be ahead of Vako in my mind given their roles. In any case, given the nature of MLS, I would expect the people who people think of as the top 100 would vary wildly. You can't just grab a WAR stat and sort it for MLS players.

Boysinblue, markmcf8 and 2in10 repped this.
  14. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Evidence that MLS is just too small for the Bay Area.

Fisher is building on land right next to the stadium. He could have put a training facility there instead. Probably not worth it though- he’ll make way more money with the office buildings.

The 49ers put a bunch of fields next to Levi’s but the NFL is definitely not too small for the Bay Area.

Of course I don’t think MLS will always be too small- especially if owners are willing to invest in the product. Apparently Fisher is not interested in investing any more than he already has.

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have been plugging away on that building for more than a year... Last time I went by (last Sept/Oct) it was still a pit with lots of cranes in place

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, the city of Santa Clara was/is leasing that land to the Niners at a ridiculously low price price. When they moved there in 1986 they were paying only $11,000 a year for the 11 acres. In 2006 it was only $23,000 a year. I don't know what it is today, but, only if the Quakes could have been so lucky.

markmcf8 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Did the 49ers get lucky or is because they’re a part of the most lucrative sports league on the planet?

Santa Clara isn’t going to give such a deal to an mls club because mls is too small for the Bay Area.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Niners were lucky they were dealing with the bunch of dumb, gullible rubes that were running the City of Santa Clara at the time.
    But, going back to your original statement, you really can't point to the Niners now when talking about getting a training site done in the south bay, can you?
    And it's ironic how the "most lucrative sports league on the planet" can't pay their own way.:)

markmcf8 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  19. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    That may be, but they wouldn't have been so gullible to give the Quakes a deal like that. Well maybe the city of San Jose will give the Quakes a decent lease deal for a chunk of the fairgrounds but they won't sell them the land.
    My original statement was that the Quakes can't get a training site in the south bay because it would be a short term money loser and the Quakes aren't interested in that. It makes much more sense for an NFL franchise because they make much more money.
    The rich get richer.

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    How feasible is it that San Jose would lease land to the Quakes? It seems to me San Jose would have to offer it at very charitable rates (would SJ do that?) or it would come with restrictions that would probably be not reasonable for the Quakes (like too short a term, or allowing other people to use the facility).

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3746 xbhaskarx, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    It could be anywhere in the area, it doesn't have to be in downtown San Jose. Same goes for the permanent development academy grounds, another thing we don't have yet.

San Jose isn't the only metropolitan area in North America with high real estate prices, is it?

As if they have anything to do with soccer!

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fairgrounds belongs to the county, not the city. So it’s the county we’d have to deal with. The Fairgrounds are not bringing in cash right now, so there might be a way to swing a deal. However, that would require that Fisher not be a penny-pinching dweeb.

I’m sure there are others here who know more about the Fairgrounds than I do.

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

Scott Rohde repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...a-united-take-over-top-spot-la-galaxy-plummet

the small team continues to drop down the rankings list....a loss in Philly and they may hit rock bottom on the list.....

LAST WEEK: 19
    HIGH: 17 | LOW: 23
    The Quakes got dunked on by Ike Opara last weekend, seemingly having forgotten how to defend set pieces. So, it's one point from a possible six and seven goals allowed through 2020's first two matches at Earthquakes Stadium.

Previous: 5-2 loss vs. MIN | Next: at PHI on 3/14

Antonio2020 repped this.
  25. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does anyone see us making a run like last year? Before the wheels came off of course. If not, it's going to be a LOOOOOONG 2020 season...

Beerking repped this.