A Reasonable Argument for God's Existence

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Pathogen, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Re: The All-Encompassing Science Thread: Post news and stories about science here

One really wonders whether people like this Rabbi who make these god-of-the-gaps arguments really are that dense or whether they have so much disrespect for their target audience's intelligence that they believe that they can get away with BS like that.

Not only does the god-of-the-gaps route commit the fallacy of arguing from ignorance, but his premise is simply wrong and even if it weren't and even if arguing from ignorance really was "reasonable" as the Rabbi claims, even then would his argument be self defeating.

But let's have a look:
    1) Ok, first of all, we'll never know how life arose on our planet. That kind of thing simply doesn't leave many traces, not to mention that billions of years of erosion, meteor impacts, volcanic eruptions and dinosaurs trampling all over the place would have destroyed any direct evidence. So if that's what he's after, congratulations, but it can't serve as a basis for his argument, simply because we wouldn't expect any physical evidence for it. Personally I don't think that this is what the dear Rabbi means, but he deliberately formulates it this way so that he can always go back should he be confronted with the evidence he must know exists.

2) Which leads us to the second point: We do, in fact, have some pretty good ideas how DNA could have developed by entirely natural means. Checking out the freaking Wikipedia page on abiogenesis would have been enough to figure that out. Next, he should check out the research Nobel Laureate Jack W. Szostak has done in this field and which should even be intuitive for a Rabbi. But I'm sure that he's done just that but preferred to remain silent about this.

3) Even if the dear Rabbi was correct about his assertions (which he's demonstrably not), the dichotomy for the non-believer that he comes up with is of course false (surprise). First of all, the non-believer doesn't have to take anything on faith. He can however have reasonable expectations of science, based on past performance. Next, he can also just accept that he might never find out. A train of thought that seems unfathomable for believers like the Rabbi: Yes, we can accept ignorance without invoking magic. Next, how does the Rabbi know how tiny the odds actually are? He obviously doesn't, nobody does, but the guys that know their science do in fact think that given the situation on the early earth, life was very probable indeed. Finally, even if the odds were minuscule, this still doesn't mean impossible and given the massive size and age of our universe, even the improbable will eventually become inevitable.

4) Which leads us to the self defeating part of his argument. If something as "simple" as DNA is so unlikely to arise naturally, then how about something infinitely complex like god? How did he come to exist and how likely is THAT?

Obviously, Dr. Robert pulled that analogy out of his butt. But worse, the kind of analogy he's making implies something which he either knows to be false, in which case he was deliberately misleading his audience, or he doesn't know it to be false, in which case he has no business talking about this topic anyway.
    What I'm talking about is him implicitly equating the "language" of DNA with the English language of Shakespeare. This seems plausible at first, after all the DNA encodes "information" just as the English language does. And I'd even grant him that much. There are however a crucial differences:

1) DNA automatically alines itself chemically, so there's the first misleading implication.

2) The language of DNA has 4 letters, every language on Earth combined probably thousands.

3) Most crucially though, in his scrabble example, the language exists first, so the letters have to align in a very specific way in order to make sense.
    The DNA however formed first and only afterwards came the "meaning". So it didn't matter at all how it aligned.

So the better analogy would have been a set of magnetic scrabble blocks that can only fall into a straight line, consisting of four letters that produce a random sequence of letters where we then go and assign meaning to certain combinations. And only after millions of years of evolution would we expect to see complete sentences.
    Producing a random sequence of molecules that align themselves all of a sudden doesn't appear to be very unlikely anymore, does it?

If you look at the analogy, you see that Dr. Robert doesn't say that the scrabble example is analogous to how DNA formed, he merely compares the odds. I think that once again this is done deliberately. He knows that making such an analogy would be false, but he still implies it, so that the audience takes away the wrong message.

Now I don't know about Francis Crick, but I do know that Dawkins never held the panspermia theory, let alone used it in order to explain the origin of life. He did say that panspermia is feasible, but that even if life originated elsewhere, we'd still need to explain it.

It does not. The evidence (like that of Prof. Szostak I mentioned earlier) clearly points to a natural origin.
    But even if it didn't, how could anything possibly point to a supernatural explanation?
    there are!
    It's not and even if it were, the vastness of space and time would compensate for that.
    No, even granting everything above, it would not be reasonable.
    Wow, and with this move he tries to reverse the burden of evidence. Very smooth, but I'm sorry, this won't go. Not to mention that we have evidence to the contrary.

1 person likes this.
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: The All-Encompassing Science Thread: Post news and stories about science here

I suppose the rabbi must be implicitly accepting the premise that if there were no gaps in our understanding of the natural realm then it would logically follow that there is no God. That must be why he feels the need to show that there are gaps in order to "justify" his belief in God.

Well, the thing is, no matter how much knowledge we acquire, there will always be some gaps, so there's no need to argue for them. I don't see how attempting to point out some gaps -regardless of whether he's right or wrong on the specifics- proves or even suggests anything. I just don't buy the original premise.

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"DNA automatically..."

in order for something to do something "automatically" there must be an intrinsic property that directs the process. there ought to be a reasonable explanation for how that property happens to operate. it isn't like "The Laws of Physics", where cause and effect can be seen in virtually any scenario.

in point of fact, the assumption is made that there is a naturalistic process that accounts for these phenomena and then a search begins to develop ideas that align with the assumption.

up to that point, it's a reasonable way to do scientific business, but what is lacking is any test to determine whether the hypothesis is valid because it isn't possible to conduct such a test.

and then Hawking comes out and says that we don't need a god to explain the universe. he cites "the inevitable laws of physics."

if i'm not mistaken there are no laws of physics without matter and energy, so they are only inevitable if there is matter and energy. they are theoretically inevitable, true enough, but his contention is based on the actuality of matter and energy.

interesting hypothesis.

test it.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo"]YouTube - 'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009[/ame]

If you have nothing you must end up with something. Something does in fact come from nothing. I'm not sure why I'm replying to you when all you've done once again is misrepresent (essentially lie) but I suppose the laws of physics without matter and energy thing is newish from you so whatever.

In the end though any answer to your nonsense can only end up being "so what?" because you can't get from "well you haven't proven X" whether or not we have, to wherever you keep trying to push the discussion. In other words you do exactly what the rabbi above did - god of the gaps again and again.

Hopefully people will enjoy the video. If you have nothing you get a universe.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

It's great that you don't buy his premise but you do understand that it is the basic premise behind religion and in fact behind a lot of what you argue about knowledge/god/the universe? It simply means instead of saying "I don't know" you insert something, anything in there, despite not having evidence.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

I don't get what you're saying here. Are you saying that we can't test chemistry? The laws according to which molecules bind? Now that would be totally wrong of course. And when you go to the bottom of this, it's indeed entirely due to "The Laws of Physics", where cause and effect can be seen in virtually any scenario.

Does a tree that falls make a sound, even when there's nobody present to hear it? Does the law of gravity exist even when there's no matter to work upon? The answer to both questions is yes.

Now you might say: "Well, that might be so, but what good is gravity in empty space? You might as well have no gravity at all!"
    While that sounds reasonable enough, it's ignoring another set of physical laws, namely quantum mechanics which states that matter does spontaneously and randomly come into existence. And guess what, it has been tested...

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wish people would stop trying to use science and religion to prove or discredit each other. They are fundamentally different ways of looking at the world and they don't need to be at odds.

Religious people need to stop with the "well, it's complicated and mysterious so it must have come from god" claptrap and atheists need to stop getting defensive - or worse - every time a religious person starts with the claptrap.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The problem comes when religion makes testable claims or claims that you would expect to affect the real world.

Now I personally don't agree with you that they are fundamentally different ways of looking at things but we don't have to go there right now. What I especially dislike is the idea that atheists saying "show me" or questioning nonsense is somehow defensive. Without concrete examples I'd argue that it's basically the "religion is sacred, let it be" approach kicking in.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

A lot can be said about this. First of all, you're right, they don't need to be at odds, but very often they are. Quite often religious dogma is at odds with scientific knowledge.
    Creationism is one common example.
    But even less extreme religious positions usually end up colliding with science at some point, because a scientific view of the world doesn't leave any room for an interventionist god, which is exactly the kind of god most religious people believe in.

So theists of any kind will always hide behind some gaps that seem big enough to hide their god. A current favorite is the cosmic fine tuning argument. So let's say that you're a religious physicist who believes that god finely tuned our cosmos. How could you then possibly do research in that field? Your mind would have been made up beforehand after all. I hope you see what I mean.

Thankfully, religiosity is negatively correlated with the amount of education one receives, especially in the sciences, so we can expect science to continue to yield great results.

Also, you are of course right that religion and science are two very different ways of looking at the world. However, I wouldn't say that they're fundamentally different, because they're linked at birth.
    One could argue that both religion and science are subsets of philosophy, designed to make sense of the world we live in. And both religion as well as science have historically made lots of claims regarding how the world functions. It's just that with the advancement of human knowledge, every single religious claim that eventually became testable turned out to be false while science step by step better approximates the truth.

So when today religion and science appear to be fundamentally different ways of looking at the world, then this is only so because of the unprecedented success of science and the utter failure of religion as a means to explain the world. Religion has since had to retreat and modern religions basically don't make any claims about the natural world anymore at all, with the exceptions of gaps that appear far away still (like the fine tuning mentioned above).

Why? You may think of the Huffington Post whatever you like, but it's certainly widely read. So when someone uses that platform to spread anti-science BS, then I think the only responsible thing to do is to object.

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

More robots, dinosaurs and rocket ships, please. ;)

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I'm sorry I said anything.

13. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i'm saying that claiming the DNA "automatically aligns" is unexplained.
    even if we know that it does align chemically, and i assume we do, can we say what forces, phenomena, processes, cause this alignment? in what way is it automatic?

the idea of automatic, when dealing with processes, means that there are built-in, immutable laws that direct the processes. if that's true, then we should be able to state how the laws operate, not just say they are "automatic".

as far as quantum mechanics is concerned, do you mean to say that in a zero-energy state, matter and or energy will spontaneously appear? if you were able to create a container that did not radiate any energy and empty it so that there was no matter within it, matter or energy would appear within the container spontaneously?

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

As benztown said yes we know what causes it. Chemistry does, physics does.
    No, you want automatic to mean something more on top of it. You want it to be directed, these are mutually exclusive. You misunderstand "laws" in the first place and you anthropomorphize everything. This problem also manifests itself often in general claims (whether yours or those of other people) about irreducible complexity and design.
    That is basically correct. Our current understanding of physics indicates that if you ever have "nothing" you get something. It's ok to ask "why?" and it's ok to ask if there's something behind it. Our current understanding is that a universe must exist and it does not require an act of creation to exist. It simply ends there. There is nothing behind it as far as we know.

Finally, while I find Barbara's take to be a bit of a lose-lose for atheists I do think this could be broken off into a separate thread since this particular thread seems to be reserved for links to articles and cool news.

15. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Of course we can state the laws. Atoms and molecules can only bind in very limited ways, depending on the number and location of electrons any given element has.

It really is kinda like with magnets where the +pole of one magnet can only cling to the -pole of another one.

This is high school chemistry really. But since I chose to specialize more in physics and biology when I was in school, I can't give you too many details there, plus it's been a while. A superficial search gave me this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_binding
    But I'm sure that there's a lot more detailed information out there.

Yes. It happens everywhere and all the time, even in absolutely empty space.
    See for example this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

16. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Why must you always beat me to the answer...lol
    :mad:;)

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I guess that's true in certain circles. Obviously we have some religious people with some sort of academic background apparently feeling a need to justify their beliefs to other academics, and coming up with all sort of outlandish arguments. But most religious people I know find such talk about "evidence" irrelevant to their faith.

Sure, people seem to instinctively want to accept certain assumptions as true in order to make sense of their condition. Also, there are no doubt social advantages for people -when dealing with and communicating with other people- to accept the same assumptions, regardless of how much evidence there is for them. This is particularly true when dealing with assumptions about morality. So, I'm sure all these factors contribute to the popularity of religions.

But I don't think that's the main force behind religion. I'd venture to say that most religious people -regardless of which religion we're talking about- are religious because they believe it helps them personally as human beings by enriching their spiritual life, rather than because it provides answers to what they don't know.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I think you just said that religion's popularity isn't dependent on helping people answer questions but on making people feel better. Which of course it does by claiming to have the answers to questions. Whether or not you or any given individual joins or stays for that particular reason is irrelevant, that's what religions are in the first place.

That religions are very adaptive and provide more liberal/spiritual people with just as much comfort while still being able to say "I don't know" is simply a feature of such a strong meme.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think the discussion of the article about the rabbi arguing for God's existence belongs in the science thread, so I'm moving it here.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Exactly. I can't find my car keys... god must have moved them :rolleyes:

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think so. I think religion is mostly about making people feel better about themselves. I think the religions that survive and thrive do so primarily because they do in fact make the people who subscribe to them feel better.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

But you separated that from "answering questions" and while I can accept that for one given individual or another that may be the case - it makes people feel better without actually providing any answers - I think by and large that's not the case and I also think it's quite clear that in its origins and in a lot of any given religion's dogma there are indeed answers to questions. I'd be willing to bet that you actually do get some god of the gaps stuff from religion but even if we were to concede that you don't I'm not sure how you can argue that religion does not in fact act as a god of the gaps fallacy.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Religion does provide answers. But most often it provides answers to questions that have nothing to do with scientific evidence or with trying to prove God's existence based on supposed DNA gaps.

It mostly provides people with answers to all sort of questions for which scientific evidence is meaningless and irrelevant.

I'm talking about questions about coping with life as a human being, the type of questions that can range from Siddartha Buddha's "why am I rich and live in a palace and have everything I want, and yet I cannot find satisfaction?" to that of a guy I knew in Buenos Aires who found in religion the answer to "how can I possibly live with myself from now on after I pressured my girlfriend to have an illegal abortion against her will and when she finally agreed to do it she ended up dying during the operation?".

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The short version of this post is - yes that's still a god of the gaps fallacy.

To begin with you're misunderstanding the "god of the gaps" fallacy which is exactly what I thought you were doing. It involves answering questions with mysteries, not answers and ending there. Whether you think a given question can or cannot be answered by science is irrelevant. The fallacy is that you are accepting an answer that requires an explanation itself. Just because we're not talking about "god did it" and "how did DNA come about" as the types of answers and the types of questions does not mean the fallacy doesn't apply.

On the coping with life subject in general you might want to read Sam Harris on morality and in particular his new book The Moral Landscape not because I think it will change your mind on anything but because it makes a coherent case for making moral decisions/judgments/measurements based on evidence and science. It might at least convince you not to be so dismissive of the idea that we can actually get real answers to these kinds of questions in much the some way we can get real answers to what is green and why can't I punch through a wall even though it's made of atoms and atoms are 99% nothing.

As to the specific questions you posed, I'll say they're bad examples but I won't say why for now. I'm sure one complaint you might bring up would be that I was reductionist or closed-minded or that I should have understood the point and picked a different kind of question instead. The important thing though is that the two questions you asked are still only answered by a god of the gaps fallacy if you ask religion for the answer - that the answer makes sense to the person who asked it doesn't mean it actually answers the question in a non-fallacious way.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

As for Jewish debates on the existence of god here's a video if you're interested in another Sam Harris/Christopher Hitchens debate with theists:

http://www.jewishtvnetwork.com/?bcpid=533363107&bctid=802338105001

In the end what I came away with from this debate is that the two rabbis believe in religion because it feels good. Harris and Hitchens as usual are very clear.