A Radical Post-Season Re-Think (MLS, USOC, CCL)

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MasterShake29, Dec 1, 2014.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the wake of MLS announcing an expansion of the playoffs from 10 teams in 2014 to 12 in 2015, which will be over half the league, a lot of people, including me, complained that this devalues the regular season. Defenders (which really may just be MLS itself) would argue that this approach keeps more teams alive longer, and thus will help attendance and thus profitability. And that's not nothing.

So, can the two be reconciled? Maybe, and here's one way:

* The 2 conference structure remains.
    * Only the conference winners qualify for the playoffs, and they contest MLS Cup. Both teams qualify for the CCL. This will be held two weeks after the end of the regular season.
    * On the week in between the end of the regular season and MLS Cup will be the USOC Final. The winner qualifies for the CCL (assuming they haven't already).
    * What are the playoffs now get replaced by... a tournament for the fourth CCL spot (which will open up to Canadian teams, as if they would ever win it). Counting midweeks, there are four match days from the end of the regular season to the end of the post-season. Holding a single-elimination tournament means that you can include up to 16 teams (which would be teams 3-18, as 1 and 2 are already in) to have a chance to qualify for the CCL. I'd rather have an "unworthy" team in the CCL as opposed to one having a chance to be league champion.

Obviously this only works if the CCL is seen as something important. One way to help that is to hold a big "last chance" tournament to get in. That's not the only thing, and those other things would need to happen, but it would be a start.

It also gives the USOC the showcase it deserves, shortens the post-season (thus allowing the regular season to avoid more international dates), gives at least two weeks for the MLS Cup host to sell tickets, and guarantees that all will agree that the team that wins the league deserved to do so.

Note that at 24 teams, teams in each conference would play the exact same schedule (save for home/away differences against the opposite conference) in the 34 game format MLS uses now, so the team that finishes first in each conference will undoubtedly deserve it.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously.

But it's not. And I have significant doubts that you'll ever convince anyone otherwise

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CCL spots are allocated by national association rather than league so this would be a bit weird, particularly since one of the three Canadian teams will have qualified via the Canadian cup. The open cup is tricky as well. It's not MLS's responsibility to make this a big deal. I'd also contend that this tournament is already gaining traction. The problem with a later final is the possibility that a d3 or NASL team ends up in the final. Many of those teams break up earlier and the players end up training kids and find indoor teams over the winter. If by some miracle a pdl team makes the final, those kids are back in college. I'm not sure a separate consolation prize tournament really achieves what MLS desires with respect to sustained interest in more markets as the season comes to a close.

superdave repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's completely ignore that there are already teams coming in (ATL/LA) that will tip the balance back ...

... and of course there's future expansion.

Perhaps this playoff move was actually a future move ?

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we said the same thing when thy went to 10 a couple of years ago...

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed ... of course now we've got a possible slow down point for expansion.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's going to support a postseason tournament where the top teams are excluded and the only prize is the chance to play extra games 9-10 months in the future on Tuesday nights against teams you may or may not have heard of, televised on Fox Sports 2.

jayd8888, Achowat and blacksun repped this.
  9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #9 Unak78, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    It's part of the reason why this expansion was necessary to begin with. Houston and SKC were always going to want assurances if they were forced to move to the West. I have no issue with this. Besides which, the size of the post season isn't what devalues the regular season, it's the current structure and that's no different whether the playoffs has 8 teams or 12. I was actually convinced a few years back that the current size did more to increase the importance of the regular season than the smaller size since the play-in opponents come on short rest while a smaller tournament does not afford even that small advantage. I'd take more issue to any plan to try to move the play-in games to a week previous to the round of 8 and eliminate that advantage too. Besides which, a large post-season is necessary to keep more fanbases engaged and relevant and give more clubs elements of achievable success. This is acceptable.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first part is a distinction without a difference. I can't imagine a scenario where MLS says we would like to allocate our spots this way and the USSF says no.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points for having an idea. But no points since the idea is so bad. MLS doesn't care about CCL. You idea would kill the regular season for the most part.

And, let's not forget, this league had 8/10 making the POs for years. 12/20 is a significant improvement.

12. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the post-season should have the MLS USL Pro teams play in a tournament or have the MLS academies all play the SUM Cup then. It would give us something to watch and see the up-and-comers.

1. USL Pro MLS Teams Tourney: "The Future Cup"
    • Tourney or league based on # of teams entered.
    2. MLS Academy tournament: "MLS Academy Cup"
    • Tournament with brackets of 4 teams. Each team is guaranteed 3 games.
    3. Tournament to be held every day starting the day after Christmas.