A question that may sound stupid....

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by OutKast3000, Nov 11, 2004.

1. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    But after reading the thread about the USL changes.....it makes me wonder if there is ever any chance of MLS teams competing in the Copa Libratadores or Champions League? I think that MLS needs to be competing in a large scale/prestigious tournament.

2. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This question was brought up at the FC Dallas town hall meeting. Obviously Champions League is out of the question, however Copa Liberatadores is a possibility but not right now. It was said that it's too expensive at present and the focus needs to be on the league before they can think about that.

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure wish there could be a resumption of the Copa Merconorte.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    not a stupid question. but I can't defend the title.

give people some clue what's inside the thread without clicking on it:

suggestion:

MLS teams to ever participate in Copa Libratadores or Champions League?

5. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I read "Champions League", THAT IS A TORNAMENT IN EUROPE.

In the Americas MLS can ONLY compete in

1: CONCACAF CHAMPIONS CUP.

2: COPA LIBERTADORES (This is doubtful for at least another 5 years pending US soccer and Comebol relations.)

3: COPA SUR AMERICANA : MLS CAN get into this tornament but has made NO effort to do so. again MLS and US Soccers growing poor relation with Comebol...

I hope that "Champions League" is some new Concacaf cup because if you guys mean Champions Leauge as in Uefa... Some one needs to remind you what part of the world the USA is in, and then smack you in the head.

6. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I would say you were to harsh, but then again very few people knew that Hawaii was our 50th state.

I agree that MLS should just focus on making the league better, and eventually making the Concacaf champs cup better.

I mean, KC and DC have the potential to not only win MLS Cup, but then win the CCC, and if one of them does that, next year they have a bid in the new international club cup.

7. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be harsh but the notion of "educated" soccer fans saying MLS will compete in the Champions League is a instant way to lose crediblity in my book..

GOOD GOD people we are AMERICANS in the Americas, WE ARE NOT FROM EUROPE. The Europeans don't LIKE US SOCCER ,it's teams, it's league, they consider us 2nd rate and it is IMPOSSIBLE for MLS to play the champions league... For people who have said how much they hate euro snobs you guys sure wish you competew them.. BECAUSE ONLY CLUBS from Uefa play Champions league. I get bad reps because am educating the non educated... How dose some one reach 121 post and still not know these things.

8. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off he prefaced his thread by saying that it may sound like a stupid question. He admitted that he didn't know. It's one thing to educate someone, it's another to be a jack-ass about it.

If he thought that MLS teams could compete in Cope Liberatadores then it's understandable that a novice might think we could compete in the Champions League too.

Yes, CL if for UEFA club teams only. But on the flip side, at first glance one might thing the CoLib is for CONMEBOL club teams only. I mean, the competition is there to determine the best club team in S. America.

You can easy get by with 121 posts and not know about CL and CoLib if all you do is stay in the MLS section of the boards. Not everyone around here is explaining the difference between the two so eloquently as your are all the time.

You also mention in your impassioned response that MLS teams aren't in CoLib due to US Soccer and CONMEBOL relations. Not exactly. It has more to do with the fact that MLS doesn't have any money to be competing their teams down in S. America over the course of the tournament. It has nothing to do with relations. Same thing with Cop Sudamericana.

You seem overly concerned with US Soccer/CONMEBOL relations. Why? You've already said, "The Europeans don't LIKE US SOCCER ,it's teams, it's league, they consider us 2nd rate". And this doesn't apply to South Americans or Latin American too? You don't think Brazilians and Argentines and Mexicans think MLS is 2nd rate, especially compared to their own leagues?

BTW, it's CONMEBOL, not comebol and Copa Sudamericana, not Copa Sur Americana. If you need help getting it right, try here CONMEBOL Official Web Site

9. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree The best from the AMericas don't consider MLS a top league.

But The America's is MLS's and the USA's home. And it is here where the MLS should start to build on something.

By the way Mexico was not the most wealthy league in america by misguided chance. They got their by opening great relations in South America. How dose these "great" relations have to do with mexican money you may ask? Simple. EXPOSURE of mexican soccer in copa America's of many years pasted opened the eyes of South America, and from no name players to players of the caliber of Chelito Delgado, Figieroa, Alex Aguinaga, are or have come out of Mexico with senseational experiences... Today Mexican soccer is NO LONGER a pompous dream to think that a player like let's say Leandro Romaniolgi of San Lorenzo at 24 can play there. 5 years ago players as YOUNG and as GIFTED as Delgado, Lucho Figieroa, and Leandro (may go NOt yet sold) was impossible. In 5 more years mexico may be like a NEW serie A. And we all know the money issues of Conmebol and Mexican soccer. That is a strong point yes. And as you may have read in another post I posted I have solutions to this in the case of MLS.

Why do I care about MLS and Conmebol relations? I care because much like in politics, The USA disreguards Latin America. Why? I don't know... MLS can create great relations in Latin America. Conmebol will not come to NY and just simply invite MLS teams to their top tornaments. The MLS MUST WANT TO SHOW THEY WANT TO BE THERE. Bitch, scream, write letters, the same way the mexicans did. Will MLS get into Copa Libertadores, most likely not, NOT BECAUSE OF MONEY which is the strongest issue but that The Copa LIB. has been reformated and Conmebol will keep the tornament the way it is for a number of years. Can MLS get into Copa SUR Americana, happy now I used SUR, but we refer to it as SUD. In Argentina it's usually South is spelled SUR but we pronunce SUD. (ex DOCK SUD, not DOCK SUR, you seem to know EVERYTHING so I won't bother to explain what Dock Sud is.) But the point is not me and you the point is MLS. The SUR Americana is formatted in a way that MLS teams CAN compete. So Hopefully MLS can work things out and get in.

10. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEE I KNEW I WASN'T WRONG this is from Ole in Argentina. Hey maybe it's us Argentines.

Toda la Copa Sudamericana
    Este es el fixture de la tercera edición de la Copa SUDamericana 2004, el segundo torneo de clubes de la temporada organizado por la Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (Conmebol).

www.ole.com.ar.

11. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Decades down the road I could envision a time when, after efforts to create a World Club Championship that the top clubs care about have been exhausted, UEFA and FIFA come to some agreement whereby one or two international slots are opened in the Champions League, making it a defacto world club championship. How the teams that fill those slots would be determined, and how the schedulers would make it work, I don't know. But there is a precedent for clubs or countries from outside federations playing in other federations' championships. And if the financial interest is there to make it happen, it could happen.

I'm not necessarily saying this will happen, but I am saying that whatever structure club soccer will have decades down the road, it's safe to say it will not be something that seems obvious, or even practical, today.