A question on the whole immigration debate...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by nicodemus, Apr 14, 2006.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    So once again, which culture is it that we are afraid of changing?

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, but Zorro dealt with them. :D

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    The United States of America's culture

Going from English to English and Spanish
    Going from majority European to majority Hispanic
    Going from coming in here legally to coming in here however u want and staying

And so on.

Not to say it ain't inevitable, but to say there isn't a culture change is not being realistic.

Pretty soon may as well just annex Mexico :D

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Going from Baseball to Soccer?

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    And there are positive changes as well

That would be awesome

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Those changes have taken place in every generation, and we've ended up alright. Virtually every non-English migration was made of non-English speakers. It does seem that the main fear is having a majority no longer made by Anglo/White people. Afterall, Spain is in Europe too, so the Hispanics are simply Euro/Indigenous. The coming here legally, well, most people here are descended from people who came here illegally, depending on how we define that.

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Hmmm....I wonder if it was 80% blacks coming over illegally if it would be any different :D

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The question is, whether it would be any different if it were 80% white people coming over, would it be any different?

9. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Coming over illegally? Yeah, there'd be outrage.

The people crossing the border-many of them are nationalist (did you notice the Mexican flags?) and racist.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Really? Is that why they were carrying Mexican flags? Is that why after the first round of protests they were changed to mostly American flags? Is there any support for your contention that they are racist? If they are, then how does that decision fare with the decision to move to a place ruled by a different race?

Would the outrage be mitigated by the hypothetical English speaking whites' ability to speak English and be white?

11. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah, I play soccer and hang out w/some that crossed the border. And a lot of them are nationalist.

It's more complicated than you think. It's not just "white people don't want anything but white people coming into the country".

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I play with quite a few that I would describe as patriotic, but have met few nationalist. I'm quite familiar with the complicatedness of the situation, personally and professionally. It isn't just that issue, but that, certainly, is one of the main issues.

13. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with that.

14. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    So, if we excise that issue from the rest, is that right?

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Silly me, I thought the word "Hispanic" derived from the word "Hispania," the name of the peninsula that comprises Spain and Portugal. Isn't that in Europe?

16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was the island of Hispaniola which contains RD and Haiti

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hispaniola was named for Hispania.

18. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Wow man, now this is truly interesting.

Here's the definition from dictionary.com:

2 entries found for hispanic.
    His·pan·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-spnk)
    adj.
    Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
    Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

n.
    A Spanish-speaking person.
    A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Latin Hispnicus, from Hispnia Spain.]
    Usage Note: Though often used interchangeably in American English, Hispanic and Latino are not identical terms, and in certain contexts the choice between them can be significant. Hispanic, from the Latin word for “Spain,” has the broader reference, potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in both hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language among communities that sometimes have little else in common. Latinowhich in Spanish means "Latin" but which as an English word is probably a shortening of the Spanish word latinoamericanorefers more exclusively to persons or communities of Latin American origin. Of the two, only Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain and its history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United States is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and one cannot substitute Latino in the phrase the Hispanic influence on native Mexican cultures without garbling the meaning. In practice, however, this distinction is of little significance when referring to residents of the United States, most of whom are of Latin American origin and can theoretically be called by either word. ·A more important distinction concerns the sociopolitical rift that has opened between Latino and Hispanic in American usage. For a certain segment of the Spanish-speaking population, Latino is a term of ethnic pride and Hispanic a label that borders on the offensive. According to this view, Hispanic lacks the authenticity and cultural resonance of Latino, with its Spanish sound and its ability to show the feminine form Latina when used of women. Furthermore, Hispanicthe term used by the U.S. Census Bureau and other government agenciesis said to bear the stamp of an Anglo establishment far removed from the concerns of the Spanish-speaking community. While these views are strongly held by some, they are by no means universal, and the division in usage seems as related to geography as it is to politics, with Latino widely preferred in California and Hispanic the more usual term in Florida and Texas. Even in these regions, however, usage is often mixed, and it is not uncommon to find both terms used by the same writer or speaker. See Usage Note at Chicano.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the only logical solution, do you propose anything for future waves of illegal immigration? Wouldn't this set a precedent that would open the door forever to this or is it a one shot deal?

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But aren't you refering to the Iberian Peninsula?

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but you can't always apply yesterday's situations to today.

In the late 1800s there wasn't a ton of people that wanted to destroy to United States either.

I'm not one of these terrorist alarmists that thinks we should seal the borders forever, but saying that people long ago came here illegally just doesn't hold much weight. Alcohol was illegal for a while in this country too, slavery was legal, women couldn't vote, etc. Would that excuse the reinstitution of those things today? I realize that's kind of a strawman argument, but it still illustrates that one can't simply say "Well, it was that way back then, so it doesn't matter today." Times change and the laws change with the times.

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Sure, but then the "we came here legally" argument is just as silly from the perspective of an undocumented worker.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why people get all bent out of shape about a language which in this country, if that's the only language you speak, will condemn you to a life of picking crops, scrubbing toilets, and other forms of unskilled labor.

I'm not sure why people get all bent out of shape about a language which usually disappears after two generations in the country, mostly because immigrants, whether they're legal or illegal don't want their kids spending their lives picking crops and scrubbing toilets to make a living.

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yes. Hispania is the Latin word the Roman Empire used for the province consisting of modern day Spain, Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar. Iberia is a Greek word.

The word Hispanic derives from that word.

[​IMG]

Hispaniola was named after Hispania.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is a tough question. As long as America is a better place to live, with more opportunities than many other parts of the world, then Americans will have to deal with the fact that people will find a way to come here. I think as a whole immigration has been a huge positive, not a negative, for the country.

But if at some point immigration does become an obvious negative, I think the answer would be to try to tighten the borders, not to treat as second class citizens or erradicate those who have already found a life here.

I guess that the curse of those of you who were born in a country rich with opportunities is that you'll have to deal with the fact that there will always be those of us who will find our way here, legally or illegally, to take advantage of those opportunities. But I'm not going to apologize for coming.