A plea to our media

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Zak, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Walt, Scott, Grant....I know that each of you will more than likely be at practice this week. Far be it from me to ask you to give it to them with both barrells, but please at least get good comprehensive interviews. I'm tired of relying on our mickey mouse mainstream media sources.

If I could pose a question, I think we all want this answered: Does the training regime that Coach Andrulis result in a) the number of injuries this squad takes, and b) does the regime result in fatigue which leads to late game goals and lack of good judgement?

2. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Andrulis's excuse will be that all these players are coming back from injury.

3. Carson Daly

Carson Daly New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Columbus
    I'll be out there in Obetz Wednesday morning. I'll see what I can come up with. Fact is Eggy is right. If anyone has any suggestions for questions post them here. I'll see what I can do.

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Is Avril Lavigne single? I wanna give her rough sex.

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    That was just a question for Carson Daly....

Put Andrulis on the spot about what has improved since Mark Williams got here. I wanna hear him bullsh1t me on this one.

6. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    $100 says it will be an answer like

Leadership, Experience, Hard work etc etc

7. Carson Daly

Carson Daly New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Columbus
    Eggy don't know about your first question. I'll check with my sources though. Second question sounds good.

8. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    please:
    -ask jeff what's holding his return up. (does he even go to practice?
    -i don't know how bold you are, but i would like to see someone just straight up ask Andrulis what he feels he needs to do to keep his job next year. That Dyson guy from DCU always asks tough questions, i'd love to see our guys answer some.
    -ask McCarty why he hasn't been playing or ask Andrulis that question.

that's just some of mine, thanks in advance.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I wasn't quite so tuned up tonight on some excellent Shiraz, I wouldn't post this.

I was goiong to post this in honor of the Prince of Poon, but then it really seemed an Eggy sort of thing too, and then I said "screw it" and posted it. Or something.

Watch the clip closely - don't make me tell you what the point is, cause it would be disappointing.

http://www.ttr2.co.uk/modules.php?o...=article&sid=329&mode=thread&order=1&thold=-1

10. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    Ask him why he subbed in Matteo in the last match and what he offered as opposed to the other options off the bench.

11. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    Ask him what the team's morale is. Disappointed, angry, indifferent....

Ask him what specifics are they working on this week.

Ask him why they keep admitting their mistakes, resolve to fix them and then have them happen again.

Ask him why he feels the players can't execute the tactics correctly. Lack of talent, indifference, etc....

Why does Kyle look tentative on the ball?

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What I what to know is why no one in the media has touched on the fact the Crew are one of the few teams in MLS without a full time Streangth and Conditioning coach. The organization just lists that they use "professionals" at The Fitness Edge. I at least know one place not to sign up for "fitness" training at in Columbus.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please forgive the posting of incoherant wine-induced rants which also contain film clips of girls on British soccer shows who forgot to wear panties.

ANYWAY:

The twits at CyberSoccerNews have yet to post any sort of game info from last Sunday yet, so I doubt they'll be able to get it together with regard to your questions.

Knowing them, they're probably just too busy working on an expose about how John Ashcroft destroyed the WUSA.

Why good guys like Walt and Scott deal with that outfit is way beyond me.

But if someone wants to ask a question, how about this:

At what point do you stop pretending that this season isn't over for the Crew? Even if we somehow make the playoffs, does some rational person think we'll be going very far? Isn't it time to admit that, frankly, we just aren't very good and start working on next year?

Oh, and one other question:

Jeff Matteo?

14. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I know the answer to the Cunty question...He begged for a trade, and when it didn't come through he threw a hissy fit. If I were Andrulis I wouldn't play him either, if you're not willing to fight for the shirt then you can f off as far as I'm concerned.

Which brings me to my next point...I know that Dunseth wasn't the greatest defender ever to wear the shirt, but from all accounts it seems that he was the exact opposite of Cunty. When told about the trade to Dallas he was virtually in tears for over an hour. Furthermore the day before he gave an interview to 610 stating how much he liked it here and how much he wanted to fight to make the playoffs. These are the type of players that we need out there on the field.

Personally I think that our chances of making the playoffs become dimmer and dimmer everyday. And Bill's right, even if by some miracle NE loses the plot, how far can this team really make it in the playoffs?

I know it's hard to ask, and would probably result in Andrulis just up and walking away, but I'd like someone to ask him how desperate he feels over his job? Does he know that it's in jeopardy? I get the feeling that he's hoping against all hope that Jim Smith buys his excuse about injuries and gives him another season at the helm.

15. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    If Cunningham's injury were merely a cover for disciplinary sanctions, don't you think Andrulis would earn more respect - from the players and the fans - by actually saying Cunningham is being punished for something rather than using injury as an excuse? Also, a number of posters have alleged that Cunningham is "faking" his injury as a way of getting out of playing. If a guy is out-of-contract, and is looking to move somewhere else, don't you think such actions would be counterproductive to his goal of leaving?

Again, maybe I'm just being too forgiving but until someone can prove that Cunningham's injury is a bunch of crap I'm believing the story. There are too many reasons, at least to me, that it doesn't make sense unless the Crew organization is flat-out gutless.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    see that is the problem.

the team will end up making the playoffs, create an upset in the first round b/c of the talent we have and then we will lose in the quarterfinals therefore not making the mls cup.

but ya know something, we will keep it close in that quarterfinal. after that happens, the "brass" <aka jim> will say how we "came this close" and "next year is our year" just like every other year.

17. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    he looked alright at Carlisle Club this weekend, either that or he has a twin brother.

18. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    As far as I'm concerned, you're picked to win the cup in the preseason, you have a dreadful regular season, and maybe and above average playoff, it still doesn't change the obvious, he's lost the locker room, when that happens, it's time for a change.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    you, me, everyone on this board agree with that...but does jim and HSG? b/c in the end, that is all that matters...

20. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    And one other thing, as far as GM's go, I think he's put the talent in position to win. This team should be doing much better than it's doing. The only problem is, when you hang on to a coach that you know is an albatross, it reflects poorly on your own job. I just wonder how long Jim is going to take punishment for things he has nothing to do with, i.e. tactics and training.

If Jim is at practice, ask him if Greg's job is in jeopardy, maybe we could get the dreaded vote of confidence out of him.

21. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, and I'm walking around with a fairly significant knee injury right now - more significant than an MCL sprain - and you wouldn't know it.

22. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Well I can tell you that if in the last game we are out of the playoffs, there will be a number of protests from the supporters group.

By my calculations, if NE wins this weekend, and we tie or lose, it's going to be virtually impossible to make the playoffs. NE then has DC at home, they should be able to get six points out of those two games to be honest. We on the other hand, have a winable game at home against DC, and then a next to impossible game against Shitcago on a friday night.

23. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Fair play, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I think the organization is blowing smoke on this one, Cunty doesn't want to play, and players that don't want to play need to be benched, and if he wasn't out of contract, then sacked. I hope he never puts on a shirt representing my town ever again.

24. Carson Daly

Carson Daly New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Columbus
    Well guys I got a few answers at todays practice..
    1) As for Mark Williams... Eggy couldn't have said it better. I asked how the team has improved since Williams joined. Response.. "he's made the team work harder, his experience is helping the young guys, and He's taking the traning sessions up to a new level.
    2) As far as Jeff's return.. Yes he does practice. He looks fine. From what I know he's not injured. Him not playing has to do w/ other internal problems. We'll see what happens to that.
    3) I asked Andrulis about the pressure on him and the team. He basicly said "I understand that the team and I have a great deal of pressure on us to win. I know my job along w/ the players is on the line. It's all part of pro sports. You must produce. But that is the last thing we are thinking about. Our minds are on DC."
    4) And finally... I asked some players about their moral at this point. They say it's high, they are focused, and the know what they need to do.
    But the look in their faces tells a different story (in my opinion).

So that's it. Post your thoughts

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) blah, blah, blah. A new sweeper makes everybody on the team wrok harder. His experience is helping WHICH "young guys" exactly?

That is the biggest pile of cliches I've heard a;; season.

2) Jeff's fine and not playing. Great. We knew it was coming to this, didn't we?

3) "Our minds are on DC". Does he mean, like, the Jefferson Memorial? The Smithsonian? The Vietnam wall?

4) This is a team in need of a change. At this point, if Smith DOESN'T give them a new leader, then it's on HIM. If he's not on the phone with HSG pleading for the OK to dump the chump, he's guilty of gross malfeasance.