A Philly Soccer Bar

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by HartwickFan, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will definitely be some people there. I will probably go if my wife and her parents ditch me for KOP or something.

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I went to the Dark Horse with a couple friends, solid crowd there...the game was on almost all the upstairs TVs despite the Phillies and NBA playoffs being on at the same time, the side bar where they show EPL games was closed fora private party but the big main bar and the small, really dark bar had the game on 2 TVs each. If anyone was there I was the guy in the red 1998 US jersey and Eagles hat...

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Lucky you. It was not all that long ago, maybe a year and a half, that I called Dark Horse asking if they were showing U.S. games and they not only said they were not but flatly refused to do so.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yeah I remember when they were going thru that phase but apparently things are better now. I think when the new ownership bought the bar and changed the name (right after the World Cup IIRC) they weren't too friendly to US soccer but now they realize that a decent number of people will go to watch. I thought about going to Tir Na Nog last night instead but one of my friends that came isn't 21 and I knew the Dark Horse doesn't card at the door (never been to Tir Na Nog, do they card at the door or at the bar?) so we went there. Didn't even have to ask them to put the game on (altho someone else may have, we missed the first 10 minutes looking for a damn parking spot).

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The new owners at the DH took over in like May of 02, right before the World Cup. I'm telling you guys that the new owners (like 3-4 Irish guys) are really cool and would always put the US on over anything. But once you get a Eurosnob rep, it's tough to lose it.

6. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    See, I got to Penn in September 02 and was given grief from then through the Venezuela game in 2003 when I stopped going. Part of it is that Tir Na Nog is easier for me to get to, as I can take the El or trolleys instead of the Route 40 bus which never comes when it should. Yeah I'm too lazy to walk from 2nd and Market. ;)

But if things have changed I shall give it another try some time.

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Anyone know if the DH or TNN will be showing the Cuba game tonight?

8. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
  9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'll be at Fado for the Jamaica game today, hope to see some people there.

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Well I went for the game yesterday, there were about 10 of us there watching it. First time I'd been to a game at Fado, I tried to go there for the Mexico game back in '01 but they wouldn't put it on even after they said they would on the phone (luckily I got there early enough that I was able to head over to the then-Dickens Inn and only missed about the first 5 minutes) and hadn't been back since. Had a good time yesterday though, they bumped the Red Sox-Yankees game off the big screen plasma TV to show the US game without my even having to ask them (I'd have settled for one of the little TVs in the corner). One caveat is that I think they have a policy of not putting the sound on for their games, no big deal for the GC since it's in Spanish anyway but for an ESPN game the Dark Horse or Tir Na Nog (still never been there) might be a safer bet.

If anyone from the board was there, I was the guy sitting at the bar in the blue USA t-shirt and an Earthquakes hat.

11. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Good for you, and good for Fado. Hopefully this year's Mexico game will prove a different experience versus the one four years ago.

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'm also hoping Fado will get a good turnout for the Mexico game--however I won't be able to report on it, as I'll be exactly 471.6 miles (according to Yahoo Maps) due west of 1500 Locust on Sept. 3. :D

13. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Nice. Hopefully I will be at Tir Na Nog.

14. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If pregnant wife was not due in September, I coulda been pooling out there with you. ;)

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    It's US-Mexico man, get your priorities straight!!

;)

16. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, yeah. I have heard it already. My wife won't even answer when I non-challantly bring it up. I think she thinks that it is so ridiculous, how could I even be serious...Oh well.

17. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I'm in the same boat as you, Looper. My wife is due September 24, and we were actually planning on making the trip to Columbus together to watch U.S. v. Mexico. Then we asked our OB if we could do it, and he said we'd be taking a chance, so we decided not to risk it. Would have been fun, though...

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Note to self: When I get married, be very careful 9 months before any US-Mexico game.

19. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Might want to have the fixture list in front of you, that way you can try to avoid international weeks for your wedding as well!

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Well, that goes without saying...this girl who's been posting for years on the Quakes board scheduled her wedding the same day as LA's next trip to Spartan, I'm not sure what the hell she was thinking.

21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D:D I'll keep one bedside.

22. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Anyone interested in watching the T&T qualifier next week somewhere in Center City? Unfortunately, I'll probably only be able to make it for the second half, but I was thinking of going to Tir Na Nog (assuming they'll be showing it).

23. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

24. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's your wife? I wanted to watch the game last night, possible at Tir Na Nog, but we had birthing classes. :rolleyes:

25. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    N4100 and I went to the game. It was good. Officiating was terrible.