A Noobie's Take

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by EconBallar, Jun 19, 2007.

1. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Starting with the US - Ecuador friendly in Tampa, I have slowly been taken in by the black hole (meant in a good way) that is soccer. The friendly was very exciting and it was great to see Sam's Army cheering and showing it's vast love for the US. I especially loved the giant US flag... that actually surprised me a lot. Unfortunately, I was on the complete opposite side of the field and couldn't hear you chant at all (common problem in that stadium). At that point, I decided to get more into soccer. Being from Tampa, however, this means I have to travel a great distance to see any kind of upper level soccer match. Thus, I traveled (although, not just for soccer reasons).

This summer I have attended DC United's home game against NY Red Bulls, and both the double head and the triple header in Foxboro. I would love to attend some more games on my road trip, but the MLS schedule isn't exactly helping that out.

I do have to say how impressed I was with the DC United Supporters. I sat behind La Norte and had a great view of the main supporters section... I have to say I thought that place was going to fall apart when everyone starting jumping and chanting! I got plenty of pictures of the game and will post them when I can.

As for the games in Foxboro, let me first start by saying that it's such a beautiful stadium (albeit a football stadium)... and this coming from a guy who lives right next to Raymond James Stadium. Second, what was up with the security? They seemed extra PMS-y for the triple header... but maybe that was just me. Third, I thought The Fort was great. I sat in the back taking everything in, and all though not as large or impressive as DC, you guys certainly got things going for you. If the stadium were actually anywhere near Boston I'm sure you would have better turnouts. Fourth, I bought a Rev scarf. I'm digging it! (I'm sure it'll get lots of use in Tampa!:D)

Overall, I was quite impressed with what I saw for MLS games. I wasn't expecting as much fan devotion. Good job!

2. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Welcome to the sport, and welcome to BigSoccer.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This is MLS. You are not allowed to come here and tell us that the atmosphere at MLS and US games is great. What will Eurosnobs and MLS-bashers think when their worldview is threatened? :D

Welcome.

4. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome fellow economist (I'm assuming ;) ). Glad to have you aboard even though you bought the wrong scarf at the Crew game that happened to be at Foxboro. You could always check out Miami's USL division 1 team if you don't want to leave Florida:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2007/4069048.html

5. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Just got my masters in economics and currently working towards my G.E.D. in soccer. I plan on catching a few US1 games on the way back down to Florida (currently in DC)... Miami FC is a distinct possibility in the near future.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this guy's a plant by Garber.

7. mitzTHFC

mitzTHFC New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Syracuse
    awesome quote

8. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the site and the sport. I always get giddy when I hear about new fans being attracted to the sport :rolleyes:

It would be even better to hear if, like me, you used to hate soccer and only liked traditional sports (football, basketball, baseball). But then, you saw the light and reallized what a beautiful game soccer is. That's the type of fans that MLS really wants to attract (even though some people may disagree with me and say that soccer is a "niche" sport. I believe we can convert the fans of traditional sports into soccer fans.

Although, this may totally not be true with you. I guess i kind of got off on a tangent:D

But, once again. Welcome!

9. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    I was one of those people raised by a father who said he would rather watch grass grow than soccer.

2 years ago a friend took me to an irish pub and i'm hooked. Now my girlfriend yells at me for watching too much soccer.

10. Arsenal04

Arsenal04 New Member

May 14, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was grown up to love football and (being from Indiana) basketball. Soccer was not even close to being an interest and I learned I had relatives working for Arsenal in England and so I got curious and watched their games on FSC. Come WC '06 I was addicted and I'm surprised at the quality of games and fans in MLS play. Went to the Chicago/FC Dallas game in Chicago and had a blast. If only Indy could get a team

11. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I wouldn't say hate it... but, it wasn't exactly on the radar. I just decided one day to expand my sports knowledge and that included soccer. Went to the US friendly against Ecuador and saw how much of a fan-friendly sport it is. Had me hook line and sinker.

Parts of the sport still bother me. Parity is always big with me. Doesn't seem to be too much of trouble in the MLS, but in other leagues it seems to be a huge problem. Statistics... not much to keep track of in this sport... very unlike baseball, basketball, and football. Ties, especially 0-0.

Overall, I now consider myself a fan... I am going to slowly try to convert my other young sports fans into it as well.