A new way to do the Champions League

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by shizzle787, Jun 27, 2021.

?

Which Champions League format do you prefer?

1. Current format

66.7%
  2. Proposed format from UEFA for 2024 onward

33.3%
  3. My format

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Champions League is the most prestigious club tournament in the world but it is does not have the excitement or luster of the World Cup or Euro. With UEFA planning on reforming the competition in 2024 in a way that I believe would eliminate a lot of the drama, I propose a complete restructuring of when and how the tournament is run.

I would effectively change the European calendar. My proposal includes the following:

The elimination of the Europa League, Europa Conference League, and Super Cup
    The elimination of all domestic super cups and league cups
    The reduction of each domestic league to no more than 18 clubs (34 matches)
    A third spot in the tournament for the 5th ranked league (at the expense of the would be defunct Europa League)

I would have the fall to spring domestic leagues and cups run from roughly August 1-April 15. The Champions League would take place starting 2 weeks after the completion of the domestic leagues and last for a month. It would have the exact same format as the current World Cup format. All matches would either be played in a host country or in a manner similar to Euro 2020 with group hosts.

I would not change the access list with the exception of the above noted vacated Europa Leagues winners spot.

The two preliminary rounds would be held in August.

The three qualifying rounds would be held in the fall.

The playoff round would be held in February.

The 32-team draw would be made in March to give fans time to make plans for the yearly May tournament.

What do you think?

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't like it because what are fans of clubs that didn't qualify for CL supposed to watch from mid-April to the end May?

EvanJ and Cosmin10 repped this.
  3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Ngl it sounds very elitist, especially if you're not even going to change the qualifying format so teams that used to be in the Europa League have a realistic chance to qualify for what would now be the only European competition.

Cosmin10 and unclesox repped this.
  4. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The owners of Barcelona, Real and Juventus are still fixated on the ESL. We'll end up with an ESL eventually and the EPL will probably merge with the MLS. I mean how else is Haaland going to become the first footballer paid a million pounds a week?

5. Kracker21

Kracker21 New Member

leeds
    England
    Sep 6, 2021
    I agree

Too elite

6. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    #6 Courtneysmith, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  7. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    #7 Courtneysmith, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    My dream Champions League group stage

Group A

Barcelona*
    Liverpool*
    AC Milan
    Man United

Group B
    Real Madrid*
    PSG
    Rangers
    Celtic

8. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    Today’s masters of sport can put a price on everything — except the value of scarcity.

that why the UEFA Champions league needs to be 2 groups of 4, group winners meet in the final.

and if the same 4 teams are drawn in either or both of the two group as in the previous edition swap them with one team with a same seed pot ranked team from the other group to keep things a bit fresher.

9. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hi let's go over your proposal ideas one by one and discuss what are good ideas and what is not a good idea
    1-The elimination of the Europa League, Europa Conference League, and Super Cup BAD IDEA

This is a very elitist perspective and by doing so, you will close the door on many teams, having a shot at making it to the champion's league. What about teams who just recently got promoted or teams who are on the cusp of making it to the UCL. The Europa is a springboard and if you are the champion of the Europa, you deserve to get an invitation to the UEFA UCL.

2- On your point of level of excitement. The reason why the World Cup and Euros are more exciting is because those involve NATIONAL TEAMS. Of course, when it is your COUNTRY involved, you will be more passionate, than your CITY Club. For example, my family is from Munchen therefore as you might have guessed, I am a Bayern fan. When Bayern plays, I have one level of excitement, if the German National team is playing, I am on the edge of my seat.
    EXCELLENT IDEA!
    The elimination of all domestic super cups and league cups

Now must of us agree that in a regular season, teams play WAY too many games because they have their domestic cup, their league games, plus UEFA or Europa.

We could prolong player's careers by ELLIMINATING the unnecessary domestic cups. If you play a decade for a team, and you get rid of your domestic cups, you might be able to prolong your career for a few seasons. I am using a decade as an arbitrary number.
    The reduction of each domestic league to no more than 18 clubs (34 matches)
    A third spot in the tournament for the 5th ranked league (at the expense of the would-be defunct Europa League)'

BAD IDEA
    The reduction of teams to no more than 18 clubs or 34 matches means you have to relegate some teams that are first division caliber. This promotes elitism. Why do I have this feeling that you have the title Duke or Lord in your name? Lol

10. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    #11 Courtneysmith, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    Rename the tournament would be a good idea: "The European Cup".

A new design of trophy would be a good idea [as suggested in World Soccer Magazine in 1993/94].

They should also sell the naming rights to the Tournament like Rugby Union's Champions Cup has [not saying they should use the same sponsor but use the same idea].

A new logo would be nice! Any design ideas welcome!