A New Start: Honduras NT Road to WC 2026

Discussion in 'Honduras' started by SamKnight, May 26, 2022.

1. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Edwin and Alvarez need to get more involved going forward

2. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    2-1 Costa Rica

3. A Matter of Life & Death!

Werder Bremen
    Scotland
    Mar 16, 2024
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    56 mins: Costa Rica 2 - 1 Honduras

Superb strike from Madrigal.

4. A Matter of Life & Death!

Werder Bremen
    Scotland
    Mar 16, 2024
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  5. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    It’s over 3-1

6. A Matter of Life & Death!

Werder Bremen
    Scotland
    Mar 16, 2024
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Costa Rica 3 - 1 Honduras

Game over, I reckon. Good luck to the Ticos this summer, good luck to
    Honduras in the World Cup qualifiers. Time to focus on getting to 2026.

7. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Rochez and Ruiz subbed in

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Was always gonna be rough with half the starters out via injury or suspended.

I mean look at the Copa America group... It would've been pretty demoralizing competing with those teams, but ig the experience would've been nice.

WCQ is next on the horizon.. it's absolutely important that our best players stay healthy because we obviously lack critical depth and we all know The Ocho is very much a marathon.

SamKnight repped this.
  9. letsplayfootball

Feb 15, 2009
    Leeds
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yeah it could have been demoralising taking a pasting from Brazil but it's far more demoralising not even getting there!

Playing Copa America would have allowed Rueda 2/3 solid weeks to consolidate the group. Missing out on that and allowing CR to have that is a golden opportunity missed. Before we even factor playing quality opposition and the prize money.

What's really annoying is that CR clearly aren't that good but we can't point the finger because we didn't get the job done over the 3 legs essentially.

We started off brightly and what really hurts is after that Chirinos goal I thought we could be in for an easy night's work... but yet again terrible game management strikes again. It was probably a soft free kick but why is Deybi attempting an overhead clearance when there's time to at least attempt under control and get it on the deck? After that it's schoolboy, no one organising the defence and man marking in a crucial phase of the game.

Got unlucky the Rivas penalty shout didn't get looked especially at that point in the game but it can't come down to decisions not being given. For whatever reason, Rivas hasn't shown up the way she should have for la seleccion, it might be that he's game is more European but he has failed to turn up with every chance he's been given.

I don't know what happened with the defence, but it looked slightly disjointed with the midfield from the off I felt. There was pockets of space in the first half and then the same thing in the second which Costa Rica eventually took advantage of for their second goal.

Deeply disappointed as even with the absences CR were there to be beaten I feel. At least that says something about our depth against one of our direct rivals for a WC spot. Although, I see CR improving after their CA participation.

edcalvi and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  10. letsplayfootball

Feb 15, 2009
    Leeds
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Anyone bother watching the ES game?

We've got a lot of work to be done, a lot of dead weight players that haven't done anything the opportunities given.

I hope Jonathan Rubio starts to get a look in.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Na. I really don't care until WCQ starts up. The main objective was Copa America and that was a monumental failure. Rueda said there won't be any NT activity till the ends of May lol. Mannnn I'm almost at the point of losing hope on Reinaldo.

SamKnight repped this.
  12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    SamKnight repped this.
  13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Look at that goal. Dude has unreal potential.. yet Rueda still insists on Vuelto and Bengtson. Rueda has his head so far up his ass at times that it's unreal. Ugh. The only thing that'll make up for the no Copa America is actually qualifying for the goddam World Cup. Smh

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Watching the Motagua game is infuriating considering that Rougier is having a nightmare game and so is the so called defense that Rueda leaned on to ease the pressure on Rougier for the Costa Rica tie. This just continues to snowball onto Rueda and his decision making for that game..ugh

15. letsplayfootball

Feb 15, 2009
    Leeds
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Hindsight is 2020 but I have to agree with you, some of Rueda's choices have to be looked at..

Rougier and Bengston were what there were in the circumstances. However, Wesley Decas was shocking and it makes no sense when Elison Rivas was available.

The top and bottom of it is Liga Nacional standard just doesn't cut it. Kervin Arriaga, even fresh back from his injury could have provided more robust cover in the second half when the midfield started to look leaky.

There was so many players unavailable so I won't hold the result against him but time certainly isn't on his side. I still think he's the man for the job though.

SamKnight and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  16. letsplayfootball

Feb 15, 2009
    Leeds
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Anyone pay attention to these recent games?

Any news on Elis? Reckon his career will never come back from his injury unfortunately.

We rooting for CONCACAF team at Copa America or?

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Beating two relative minnows was to be expected. I'll probably pay a little more attention to the Ecuador friendly.

Elis still in recovery mode.

Nope. I'll be watching Euros instead. Jamaica might get a watch tho.

SamKnight repped this.
  18. letsplayfootball

Feb 15, 2009
    Leeds
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Decent move for Kervin Arriaga.

Partizan Belgrade are a decent side, it isn't the strongest European league but it's good development and hopefully he'll be playing some level of UEFA club competition.

CR showing how it's done at Copa America... we all now we wouldn't have done that.

Panama too for that matter.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  19. letsplayfootball

Feb 15, 2009
    Leeds
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Bryan Rochez leaving Portugal after a long stay. He'll be linking up with Jonathan Rubio at Petro de Luanda.

I would be disappointed with that move but at least it opens the door to Rubio. There's no excuses for Rueda not calling him up now.

Also, some decent moves to Europe for our u21 players - Nayrobi Vargas to FSV Mainz and Alessandro Maldonado to NK Istra of Croatia. Great development opportunities for them both.

It might also be worth keeping tabs on Valerio Marinacci after all. It looks like he's getting a move to FK Partizani, one of the two biggest clubs in Albania... considering he was playing in Serie D that's probably a step up.

SamKnight and Catracho_Azul repped this.