A new dcunited.com is coming in Feb - need your help and input

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU Digital Media, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Much better! Lay your Linux down!

2. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah it is funny.

I have yet to use Windows 7, but the other poster said it is an improvement, i'll take his word for it.

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the last sentence. When I flame Microsoft or Apple, it's mainly with regard to corporate practices and policies, not "which is easier to use?" or stuff like that. However, popularity fuels/encourages/enables those same nasty corporate practices/policies that I hate. So that's a big chunk of why I sometimes voice my displeasures in public, rather than simply in letters to Federal judges or media outlets.

4. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    If we had an iPhone (smartphone) app, I wouldn't mind seeing it as an application for game times. Constant updates of who just crossed, why that yellow card was given, who scored, what's the formation, etc, etc. When I'm sitting with a beer resting on my belly, I can't get up fast enough to get a better view of who just did what and Lord knows RFK's speaker system is one of the worst.... Maybe an Elf-Yourself but with United jerseys :D

On the website front: Full classic games (even if it is a $5 a month charge), exclusive content from players (we're talking interviews, tips, commentary, tours of the locker room, random funny team videos that pop up on YouTube randomly, the whole lot, updated every other day, Behind the Badge I think can be improved on ten fold), after the game I want to see a highlight reel, I want full games (including friendlies), I want updates on the youth academy (who, what, stats, etc), the beginnings of a very well laid out forum, real time Qs and As with players via video feeds, tips from the coaching staff, weekly player updates (injuries, etc), and the list goes on and one.

The one thing I would want to see above all else, is a website built around the goal of building a community. Your single goal needs to be to unify us hard-core fans, bring in the casual fans, and try to bring in those who haven't a clue and allow us to communicate freely with one another, exchange/discover information, and plan social events. Make it Facebook like if that's what it takes but don't go the corporate route - the site is about us and what we do with it more than it is what you throw up there. It should be a two-way process, always, not just when you're rebuilding.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Overrated.

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now on my 14th year of continuous use without a crash or even the necessity for a reboot, ever. No viruses or spyware, ever, either. And, most importantly to me, no jive EULAs or click-through "I Agree" screens whereby I surrender my legal rights and agree not to do things I should be able to do, or agree to let them monitor my use and phone home with the details, or agree to let them install/remove software at their discretion, etc. My computer -- not theirs, with them allowing me to use it with restrictions. Mine.

7. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Linux is my next project. I need to rediscover my Unix roots.

I have a nice uncommitted desktop in my office that I can use to dual-boot Linux and Windows 7 so I can play with both.

Any recommendations on a good distribution to use? Although I can build the thing if I have to, I wouldn't mind being pampered with a mostly-complete product.

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I toyed with Knoppix Live CD in order to recover data from a corrupted Windows XP system. It runs off of the CD drive so you don't actually install it on your computer. It worked like a charm. I have a friend who likes using Ubuntu.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What distro?
    I use ubuntu the most. It's pretty friendly and widely used so there is an extensive support community. I have it on all of my home computers and one work computer. I use Fedora quite a bit at work and on this computer. Most distros also have live CDs.