A Midfield: general/warrior/great player - who?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Apr 11, 2009.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think those are just his evaluations. Nostalgia taints real examination of players of old, but we were a really tough team. Rooney, Tevez and Vidic are the key players we have now who are resilient enough to be compared to our stars of yesteryear. Of course, our stars today are better players technically.

2. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Right, who actually mentioned Manuel Fernandes also. To me that is a good shout there.

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think so too. He had a good spell at Everton, so I think he's capable for the EPL. Valencia is going to be in fire-sale mode this summer, and there may be a chance to get him for less than what his valuation is.

4. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was saying to Quaresma, that I have mentioned Manuel Fernandes and I like him as a player.

5. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Umm, by being around for both sides and being able to compare them? When the going got tough that side with Schmeichel, Keane, Becks and co were a lot tougher than this one that's for damn sure. In my time following United I don't think I've seen our team capitulate in such a fashion and not look as if they could pull themselves out of it as this current team has on a few occasions.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely, I don't even think you had to be around for the older team, all you need to watch was one or two matches and you can tell instantly they were mentally tougher than the group of fairies we have now.

7. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Rooney would fit in with the players of old as he is now, and Ferdinand wouldn't be far off either. Those are the 2 for me.

8. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'd love for Manuel Fernandes to learn the Man Utd brand of football would only help our NT. Mind you if Fergie asks Queiroz for his opinon of Fernandes, I don't think it would be a good one.

9. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    While they had stronger characters, they were also more likely to get thrashed and had a much larger margin of error in the league and were nowhere near as good in Europe. The pressue is on a different scale for this set of players given the expectations have gone up even as the league has become stronger as a whole.

10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Game bypassed Fernando today, I am very much on Manuel Fernandes case though, would suit us.

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Nah, Fernando did what he could do. He wasnt bad at all.

12. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didnt got in the game for me.

13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Fernando, although he was in and out of the game today. I think he could have a bright future, just not at United.

14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is also Sami Khedira of Stuttgart, Lars Bender of 1860 Munchen should get a mention too perhaps though he is still a prospect.

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I thought Sami Khediera was a striker/forward/attacking mid?

16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No he is a box to box mid, you sure you are not thinking of Ashkan Degajah who can play as a striker or a winger ?

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nope, defensive minded central midfielder actually. He just happens to go up a lot, but he's come into his own this season. There's a lot of demand for Loew to call him up but he's still young.

Dejagah is a winger/striker.

18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Van Bommel
    Keita
    Senna
    Yaya Toure
    Poulson (Juventus)
    or my personal favorite Russell Latapy.

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On a more serious note, could Fellaini be an option?

20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    POSSEBON, GIBSON, ANDERSON, MATTY JAMES, oh we all have him, we r good

21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering that Everton paid 14 mill plus for him, we'd have to throw down at least 25. He's been pretty good this season, and has come into some form as of late, but I'd think it would be a knee jerk. If we're going to drop anywhere above 20-22 million, we may as well go for a top tier player.

I'm also very inclined to giving one of the youngsters a run and seeing if they can make it happen. If we've gotten to CL semifinals, top of the EPL, FA Cup Semis, etc without buying this midfield enforcer, it wouldn't be that much of a risk to see if Gibson or Possebon can do something.

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So you agree that he would be a good option.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's combatitive but his game is still so unrefined that he would require at least a season and a half to adjust. He is a little too quiet on the pitch for me, which is why I brought up Weiss, he's always in the thick of things. I was really hoping to see more of Khedira in Europe though to be able to give a better option.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's more MU quality, atleast potentially, I dont think Weiss is.
    I dont think Weiss has been that great, Hoffenheim form has dipped, they are bottom in form table at the moment, I dont even know why he was called up.

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because he brings a quality that no other German player had, the combined combativeness and ability to play on the ball, in any formation. He's raw but the potential I see in him is greater, and keep in mind we're speaking of one role here.