A message to all the "fans" who call the team "Red Donkeys"...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by irishapple21, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    This may have been brought up in the past but the Brooklyn Dodgers were often called, "Dem Bums." Seems like a very similar situation as the Donkeys.

I'm still bitter too, btw.

2. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    So seriously are you exercising your authority over me...Nobody said I wanted a cheerleader for a mod those are your words and please don't put them in my mouth...

3. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Great post Irish but it's useless... Michael K and the few others of his ilk won't listen to reason... they are stuck in the past and for all I care they can stay there...

4. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Damn all these mods are bitter...:(

5. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You say above: "Not all supporters enthusiastic [sic] about Red Bull. Just the ones who, in the days and weeks after the takeover, sought to justify RB's move by saying (paraphrasing slightly) "let's face it, the Metro tradition was total shit and we're lucky to be rid of it."

My response is that there were plenty of us who were enthusiastic about RB without dissing the Metrolegacy.

I'm not sure if you're responding to Viper or me a few posts ago. He didn't quote himself in his sig.

Its not easy, indeed, to go and support another side! But in case you haven't noticed from everything you've written here (and at least you've engaged), you don't/can't/won't support the NY Red Bulls. Why bother staying on as a mod for the Red Bulls boards? Its inappropriate for one of the mods for these boards to continually insult Red Bulls supporters for being...Red Bulls supporters.

Stop holding your breath waiting for RB to "bail out." Those who want us to fail are our enemies. Move on.

6. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll live with it thanks. But, I'm actually not sigging myself. It's you, then DoctorK.

Oh, and yes, I'm looking forward to seeing where I am on that in a couple of years. So far, not one of their moves has gotten under my skin. And if it is more of the same old, same old - then so what? Oh, wait I forgot it could have been more of the same old, same old but with the old name, old crest and no big corporate logo on the jersey. Yeah, I like that option so much better.

You're welcome! You don't have to do any of the above. You can make like a DC fan I had a conversation with recently (a NYC boy) who walked away from the MetroStars because they sucked. Walk away now and save yourself the embarrassement of it all!

Thank's for the suggestion but you can't get out of that one. Even in the post that I'm quoting here you disparage those who would accept the change that has taken place.

I stand by my statement, thanks!

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see, I just can't do that. I'd cheer for DC first, and I'll quit watching soccer before I ever do such a thing.

But forget about me; I'm one person. And maybe, maybe I might represent a small number of old Metro fans who feel personally aggrieved and won't ever come to terms with RB, but forget them too. You'll get over us. Instead, think about the great number of soccer-loving folks in the NYC area who would have come out and really gotten behind a great team in a great stadium in Harrison - be it Metros or Cosmos or whoever - but are never, ever going to give RBNY a chance because they can tell exactly what it is and what it's meant to do, and they'd feel way too silly shouting for a soft drink to get very invested. They can stick with being "fans" of Chelsea or Milan, or hell, just playing in the CSL, and who cares if someone on a message board thinks they're a "Eurosnob"? You might get more casual spectators in time, but a massive upturn in support, a "real" atmosphere, with RB? I doubt it.

Negative? Well, sorry to rain on the parade.

8. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Then how can you be a Red Bulls Mod if you don't support the team... please some one explain that to me?

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. It was you who decontextualized my statement, and some other poster who first made the "life's tough..." statement, which I was responding to and you left off.

10. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sob, Sob, crying my eyes out... Such a victim you are of corporate greed, eh! Please, quit embarrassing yourself and walk away!

11. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support the players on the field. I look forward to the development of players like Wynne, Dunivant, Altidore, etc. MLS is my league for all its faults, and I believe in following your local team if at all possible - that's Metro. I hope to have a team and stories about it in the early days to pass on to my kids and grandkids someday. I love the experience of going out to a game (which is why, though I follow a few Euro teams, I don't feel so close to them, living here), even if GS sucks and I don't get to go out to many games right now. I've done so, to some extent for 10 years now. That said, I hardly believe we're going to be the New York Red Bulls in 10, much less 20 years, and so I hope RB Corporate's experiment blows up as soon as possible, and we can attempt to be a real organization again, and not a part of a marketing plan.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming from the standards of "embarrassment" you possess (you apparently didn't feel any in posting this drivel) this can only be a compliment. Please try and bring something to the discussion.

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    We are not shouting for a soft drink. :mad: I've had enough of these kinds of insults from a mod of this board. Enough! Resign.

As for the question concerning atmosphere, look to Salzburg. RB are working wonders there.

Decontextualizing your "life's tough" comment? No, I quoted it in full. You were trying to make it seem like the Metro->RB metamorphoses is apocalyptic, saying that "life's tough" for Dan R. since they changed the team name. Boo hoo. Grow up.

We don't need a mod here to rain on our parade. You're nothing but a troll anymore.

14. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sorry for the interruption. Now back to the regular scheduled Michael K cry fest.

15. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I didn't think the MetroStars name would last beyond a decade but that didn't stop me from supporting the team. Guess what, it didn't. At least the team has survived in a new form.

Whether or not the team are the Red Bulls in ten or twenty years is beside the point. They are the NY Red Bulls right now. I don't see any reason to think there'll be a change any time soon, either.

So what you want is for the Red Bulls to fail. You've made that abundantly clear. And using the term "Donkeys" is an expression of that resentment you have towards all things RB (apple's point when he started this thread).

You should stop trolling and resign as a mod on the Red Bulls boards.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Well, let's just say I'm 10X more likely to than Michael K. is. Make that 100.

Honestly, you seem like a nice guy - I just wish you could trust me that Michael K. really isn't the enemy here. And his feelings about Red Bull really don't impact your ability to be a fan here in whatever form you want.

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not an insult, it's a recognition of you doing what RB wants you to do, as fans. Later on I'll do some research and find the new Nielsen method for converting terrace songs into marketing impressions.

I was responding to NYCFan, who made a snippy, uninformed comment about MF starting with "Life's tough." Read, please. It'll help us all out immensely.

Working wonders? In the mighty footballing battleground of Austria? Be still my beating heart. My impression is that they've got fans like you, and fans like me. You just don't want to hear from the latter group.

No, no, you don't want anyone to rain on your parade. That's clear. There, there...it'll all be ok.

18. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    What makes someone the enemy here? Wanting the Red Bulls to fail? I can't think of a better definition. And Michael K's made it abundantly clear, ad nauseum, that he wants the NY Red Bulls to fail. Ergo, he's the enemy.

Perhaps your friendship is obscuring your judgement on this, I don't know, but his position against the club is indefensible. Good for you if he hasn't personally insulted you over the past few months. He's said he'd rather support the Scum than cheer for the Red Bulls. What more does he need to say?

Enough's enough. A mod on the NY Red Bulls boards shouldn't despise the NY Red Bulls or mock its supporters.

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Oh, and poor you, someone took your Metro away. You just can't go on, life's so tough now. A mod is supposed to stop trolls, not be one.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    For the record I've never met Michael K. and all I know about him is that he ever invites you over for homemade pizza, don't accept. I'd defend any of y'all if you had contributed to the quality of these boards for as long.

21. Frame

Frame Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NYC
    I agree with Michael K. wholeheartedly.
    When I think of Red Bulls, I think of Salzburg.
    When I think of Red Donkeys, I feel an attachment to my home-town team in the same way that old Brooklyn Dodger fans did when they referred to their once-hapless team as "Dem Bums."
    Go Red Donkeys!!!

22. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the sticky part, which requires a little thinking on your side. I want our team doing well, of course. But I can't squash my sense of revulsion enough to cheer "Red Bulls". And the idea of corporate-branded teams, which our team is the unfortunate prototype of...yeah, I want that going down, hard. My own wishes aside, I think it probably will sooner rather than later. Big time pro sports teams are for padding the megalomaniacal ego, not the corporate bottom line. The other outcome, the one to really dread, is one of increased, insidious corporate sports numbness all over the place if this thing actually works. And don't think other firms aren't watching to see if it flies.

I really don't care if it goes in other places and other situations (most of which have been woefully misinterpreted here by people trying to justify RB), the prospect of watching the Chicago Coke Zeros vs. Myspace Miami in the Super Bowl, or Verizon New Jersey against San Jose Toshibas for the Stanley Cup, is just grotesque.

23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you read posts, or just scatter insults? Come on.

24. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I don't understand why someone who wants to see the Red Bulls fail would want to serve as a mod on the RB boards. It seems to me that supporting the Red Bulls ought to be a precondition for someone serving as the mod here.

Calling someone a clown or a donkey is an insult, Michael. Calling someone who repeatedly mocks the supporters of a team on that team's board a troll is just being accurate.

25. Frame

Frame Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NYC

You just keep endlessly repeating yourself, DoctorK. Time to get a real idea or let it go. Your key words are that you "don't understand." In itself, that's honesty. But to go on from a position of admitted incomprehension to call someone else's perspective "an insult" would be an embarrassment to anyone who is open-minded and inclusive about all this.

I think the only precondition of being a moderator for a team site on BS is to be a supporter in some form of that team, which Michael K. clearly is. You seem to be suggesting that Michael is an enemy of our team just because he doesn't buy into the current corporate blitzkreig. Maybe you see the takeover as a benign, mercy killing, and that's ok - just don't make war on the rest of us supporters.