A little slam from a Post writer

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by rickinva, Oct 21, 2004.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

When you are talking 10 years or 5 years I don't think it really matters.

DC United has been just as bad or worse then the other teams until the past two years of .500 play.

--Nothing to really brag about... Especially to this corn nugget.

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Mark Fisher???? I read the Post, well at least the real reporters, and the name draws a blank. :)

3. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy sounds like he was dropped on his head a few too many times as a kid. Hey the crappy Expos are gonna suck next year too, so i say let them play at UofM and let us keep our RFK in its PERFECT soccer condition!

And yeah, I'll never read this dude's articles ever again.

4. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i seriously doubt a "reporter" who couldn't take the time to look up United's attendance figures would have taken the time to be "informed" about any clauses in the contract.

he probably heard it from somebody who knows somebody who lives next to somebody who has an uncle's sister-in-law's nephew who used to go to school with somebody who plays golf with somebody's frined who has a housekeeper that knows a guy who knows somebody that sells crack to the guy who was going thru the trash at DCSEC and found what a copy of a draft of what looked like it may have been at some point a memo about cube etiquette which happened to mention that the Metros sucked. Only since the guy was high on crack, he thought it said there was a clause whereby DC United could be moved to another location....

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002

Depending on my mood I either tune out to crap that turd writes or I'll pop off here. Yesterday I was in a pissy mood and I vented. I love this place. Why go to a doctor and talk to try to feel better when you can use Big Soccer instead.

6. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    This is actually a good idea IMO.

Maybe everyone should send something to Goff to let him know they appreciate his efforts.

7. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I think it may be a combination of we're not the best in the world at it as far as our soccer league and the MNT and that people can't stand the low scoring which they equate to being boring. I think it's also that people see players falling (diving) from little or no contact and think soccer players are wusses (I hate this myself as well.)

8. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I play in 2 coed leagues. One's in DC called the CCSL and the players do get about 2 or so DCU offers from the head of the league per season-usually tailgate and game info. The other's in Fairfax called VCSRA and there's very little if any DCU involvement.

I have never seen a single DC United staff member or player show up at any one of the games. So you can say why aren't they interested-at the same time DC doesn't act interested either. If a DC United player showed up at the games that would be a thrill.

There are players that go to the games maybe on other teams-but as far as I know on my 2 teams I know 2 other people that are truly interested in DC United. I suppose I should get around to asking them why they aren't so I can post it on this board.

Maybe its not "Macho" or "manly" enough? RIIIGHT.

It's not, right? I mean c'mon soccer isn't a sport for the tough. It's more like an art IMO. Which is why you got to sell it like an art-Diablo "The Devil" in the midfield making crazy passes is an easy sell. "Watch Diablo". Someone suggested I tell someone new to the game to come see Nelsen, Esky, and Moreno? You try explaining the excitement of those players to, say, a girl who knows little about soccer. I dare you to explain the excitement of watching Nelsen play to someone who knows little about soccer.
    Plus 1/2 the league ends up around .500-there is NO other league in the WORLD I'm guessing that has as much parity as MLS. I can't even tell them "this team sucks" or "this team is good". In the old times playing a good but not great Columbus team, watching Tampa get the s kicked out of them-that's the way it should be. Once you've played one team, you've played 'em all at this point.

Now with baseball around, I think there will be serious issues that need to be addressed because suddenly there's competition for the spotlight.

Of course, as was just said, I can always come here on BigSoccer to bitch and whine. :D