A-League in South Florida???

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by The General, Sep 20, 2003.

1. The General

The General New Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Palm Beach, FL
    During the broadcast of the A-League final, the announcers stated that the A-League might have a team in South Floridanext season. Does anyone have any info on this?

Where will they play?
    What city?
    Who's in charge?
    Etc....

2. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    South Florida

Maybe Fort Lauderdale???

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be sweet. I would definatly make a road trip down to Ft. Lauderdale for a match. I have also read that Ajax might have a A-League team in Orlando in 2005.

4. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Yeah, I caught that, too. Ft. Lauderdale seems like the only possibility in "SOUTH" Florida.

Didn't know an ownership group was interested down there. The stadium, of course, would be excellent. Bring back the Strikers? :)

5. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would be a little isolated for Fort Lauderdale down there alone, but with the addition of Orlando and possibly Tampa (and even Jacksonville) it would be great.

Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale did well back in the ASL/APSL days and were attendance leaders. They would be good additions to the league.

6. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Florida's only chance...

I think the only chance Florida has of ever getting a MLS team is to build a successful A League team. Show a consistent 10,000 attendance and Garber will be down there talking about letting by-gones be by-gones. I can't see any way that anyone would be willing to risk the money otherwise.

7. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Jan 4, 2000
    Does anyone know who the coach and GM are going to be of this new A-League in Ft Lauderdale.

Has anything been officially announced yet?

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I hope whoever it is has his eyes set on Lockhardt Stadium. It would be great to se matches in there.

Has anyone ever considered a "Florida League" division of USL that could play outdoors through the ideal winter months -- Nov. to April?

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats an interesting idea. I think MISL is the big player when it comes to indoor soccer. They are mostly up north. So this would mean teams would be in the USL for the summer then MISL (or a USL indoor equivalent) in the winter.
    Seems like a hard sell, but who knows.

Also, I contacted some sports journalists in Miami and it seems there is a group trying to bring A-League to South Florida. No other details forthcoming.

10. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    I've heard some rumors, not sure if any are legit. A while ago there was talk of a Real Miami being affiliated with Madrid. Any truth to that?

11. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    Ajax Orlando announces A-League ambitions

30 September: Ajax Orlando Football Club (AOFC) announced this week that it has officially applied for membership in two national soccer leagues, the Premier Development League (PDL) and the A-League, a top U.S. professional soccer circuit.

"We are very excited at the prospect of playing in the PDL during the 2004 season, and bringing A-League soccer back to the area in 2005," said Ajax Orlando President Mark Dillon.

Full story: http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/2003-2...pplication-for-national-soccer-franchise.html

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say "YAHOOOOO!"

14. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    Awesome, totally awesome!

15. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    From every "rumor" that I have heard, I fell pretty sure that it is going to happen.

I have heard Argentinian investors are bringing an A league team to Lockhart, and calling them the Strikers.

Lockhart is now operated by the Broward County School board, who took over the management of the facility from Ken Horrowitz earlier this year.

I wish they would hurry up and announce it. I have been hearing things for the past few months, and I want a team back.

PS Screw MLS. GO Strikers!

16. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Jan 4, 2000
    When are they planning on making an announcement, if there really is going to be an A League team here?

Isn't the League going to have to make up the '04 schedule pretty soon. Wouldn't it be nice if they knew how many teams are going to be in the League?

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know if you guys caught it, but a few weeks ago on the Soccer Fanatics Radio network I had them ask Tim Holt of USL about A_league in Florida. Holt said that they are pursuing S. FLorida, but didn't have anything definite yet.
    Nothing really new, but it was good to hear an official at USL say it.

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Since the A-League doesn't have to align its schedule to suit ESPN or the Deuce, would it be possible to schedule night games in June-July-August?

I love Florida -- the wife and I plan to move there in a few years (Port St. Lucie) -- but you have to admit that summer afternoons are a steam bath, and no time for football players and fans to gather in a stadium. That's why I've always hoped for a Florida League of outdoor, winter soccer. (So much for dreaming.) I remember Tony Meola remarking, after a midday match in July at Lockhardt, that he was amazed the team could walk, let alone run. I always feared for the players -- heat exhaustion, dehydration, cramps, the works.

Frankly, DC is no picnic in the summer, either, in fact it can get hot in most of the US, but Florida is our only state with a bonifide sub-tropical climate. It just seems prudent to work with the elements, rather than against them.

19. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll be sucking Garber's D*ck as soon as he announces that he wants a team back in Miami.

Don't be a jerk. Even though I don't follow it, I have nothing but respect for the A-league. You should do the same for MLS.

20. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    Speak for yourself Homie, and I will do the same. Why should I have respect for (MLS) Minor League Soccer?