A hypothetical - What happens if CD Chivas USA sucks?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Knave, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    On the one hand, CD Chivas USA makes sense to me. I've lived off and on in LA for a number of years now, I see the potential, and maybe it really is the way for MLS to tap into a soccer savvy market that thus far hasn't fully found a home within the league. I can see that. It makes sense to me in a certain way.

On the other hand, I really wonder what will happen if the team sucks. Will this soccer savvy market really show up for a second rate team? I suspect most folks on this board feel pretty good about the team's prospects, but indulge me. What if the team starts off badly? What if the team doesn't find success on the field? If the club struggles are people going to show up? Or will that great untapped market be lost? Is there a legitimate worry here?

2. Roopaul

Roopaul New Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston
    Knave, why don't u troll elsewhere. Also why don't u "really wonder" (What a punk) what will happen to u if u made your ignorant self known at the HDC. Move to DC with all the other racist xenophobic United fans. Just do yourself a favor and stay off this board.

3. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    He's not trolling. It's a legitimate set of questions. Ture, it may be more apporpriate on the MLS N&A board, but I bet Knave wanted to get the opinions of Chivas USA fans.

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

You actually have the balls to post this after having BOTH RSL AND Chivas as your favorite teams?

--I think Chivas is a great idea not just for LA but for the market it will tap into across the United States. I have said many times as a United fan the future of the league lies with Latinos NOT soccer moms.

Why MLS HQ has decided they need to convert people to a sport they do not even really like (white suburban soccer moms) as opposed to simply converting real soccer fans (Latinos) to a new team (for a sport they ALREADY LOVE) is beyond me.

I would be willing to bet that a lot of bandwagon Latino fans WILL drop off if Chivas stinks up the league.. However with the name brand IDENTITY of a team as popular as Chivas there will also be a set group of Latinos that will stick by this team much like anyone else would.

By MLS standards thats all it will take. They have a great profitable stadium in HDC, are well financed, and have a distinct high profile owner that seems to really care about the product. --Even as a lame duck I bet they can outdraw/out profit the vast majority of underperforming teams in the league. Its not like the San Jose or KC's have set the bar that high in this regard.

5. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey newbie, stop copying other people's terms already. you've only posted 20 times and you want to be hard? did you not realize that poster is a moderator, you dork?

Come to the Galaxy boards and talk like that. or better yet, we'll see who sucks, renter!

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I was pretty sure I knew the response I'd get on the MLS N&A board ... something along the lines of the Chivas USA supporters will be soft and if they don't dominate the league attendance will plummet. But I thought I'd get a more insightful response from those most involved with the team.

McOwen's point is interesting. I know the number of Chivas jerseys I see around LA, and I've even noticed a few Chivas billboards around town. But will the Chivas "brand" really carry the team if they're not winners? Actually, one could turn that around and ask: if Chivas USA struggles, might that diminish the Chivas brand (at least in the United States)?

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think curiosity seekers alone will carry Chivas USAs attendance this year. Keep in mind the Galaxy in 1996 drew crowds of 69k, 45k, and 40k (or somewhere there about for their first season--and given the limited capacity at HDC, that should spread some high attendances deep into the season). Of course, the Galaxy in later seasons would average just a hair above 20k. I think a lot of those early attendances in 96 were inflated mostly from Mexicans giving the league a try, as we well know, for the most part, they have disappeared. I think many of those same Mexicans and perhaps more will give the league a try again in 2005. Some may turn away after a couple games, others will be hooked, but MOST should notice a marked improvement in the league-wide level of play, which in 96, was the killer. Add in the fact that Chivas USA games will have a predominantly Mexican atmosphere (both on the field and in the stands) and receive good catering/attention from the front office, and I think that should/will be a winning formula at the gate for MLS's most coveted ethnic demographic.

For those reasons, I believe that even a season of sub-par 2005 results will not kill the team. Sustained sucktitude will though (see: Metros, Revs, late 90s Clash).

8. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Che chido, ur_land

I understand some of the frustration behind Roopaul posting what he did. We CD Chivas USA fans have been getting knocked ever since the league mentioned that they would become an expansion team. I am also aware that Knave is a moderator and he is not attempting to troll.

Simply put, I think that if Knave would have titled this thread similar to either of the two following examples:

A hypothetical - What happens if CD Chivas USA has an unsuccessful first season?

or

A hypothetical - What happens if CD Chivas USA has a losing record its first season?

he wouldn't have drawn the response he did.

When someone see's their "teams name" and the word "sucks" in the same sentence on that particular teams forum it is only natural to draw some reaction.

This is the CD Chivas USA forum and we only want to be respected as others do in their own forums.

I also know that it was uncalled for Roopaul to post that Knave should't let himself be known at the HDC etc. etc..

He'll I would buy Knave a beer as I would for any BigSoccer member I came across at an MLS match (well maybe with the exception of a few posters).

BTW Che Chido, I love it when newbies call other newbies well - newbies. :D

9. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    To answer the question to the thread starter -- no matter how their first season starts I will make every effort to be at the game in Dallas (closest to me) and sport my Chivas Jersey, scarf, banners and you name it whether they win or lose. I honestly don't care if they don't win the title their first year (praying that they do) just the fact that I feel that as a life long Chivas Club supporter and my family from Guadalajara and so many other friends that are supporters in general are going to support their team rain or shine doom or glory! I will be on this forum now and will be on this forum 5yrs from now win or lose! It's in my blood.....

Roopaul's response shows the passion we have for our boys in red,white and blue....don't hate 'em for it it's no different than what we would get going onto your forum posting a thread about how DC sucks...but we'll see and only time will tell....

10. Simply notken

Simply notken New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think chivas is good because I think they are good for the league and I think there is the possibility of a really good rivalry with the galaxy. I don't live near a team so I'm more interested in the league as a whole. Not to get to far off subject, but since we are talking about how good chivas will be. How good do you fans of chivas, who know the chivas players from the parent club, think chivas will be. This is not meant as an insult but I figured that the owner would have picked up some better players from the parent club. I mean he is in a unique position in that he has the power to deffinately get the players he wants at the price he wants. I don't follow mexican soccer too much, I just don't like the style of play not that there is anything wrong with it, so I could be wrong. It seems like alot of these players came from there second team. Is a mexican second team player of comparable quality to a role player on an MLS team. If so I think chivas will be alright. Otherwise, I don't see alot of proven success. I really hope chivas do well, what do you think? Are these legitamite concerns or are these players better than I think.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    When Chivas sucks...fans of the other 11 teams will laugh, and the world of American soccer will rejoice.

12. CCTX SoccerFreak

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX

And when we don't you will cry because that's all you will be able to do...and the world of American soccer will grow because of it. Only time will tell... ;)

13. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As ur_land said, Knave is not trolling here. Its a legit question posed to the "fans" of an expansion MLS franchise. Get a grip newb, and welcome to big soccer. Dolt.

:D

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, one of those 11 teams being the San Jo--, I mean Houston Aguilas :D

15. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chivas USA sucks then Rongen will get the sack and they'll hire someone else. I imagine that ol' Rongen is going to be under some pressure from Vergara to win and win quickly.

16. that'sthecrewforyou

that'sthecrewforyou New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Indy
    Look on the bright side chivas fans, if chivas usa sucks for the first two months or so Vergara will relize he needs better players up here and send better more well known players

17. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Actually, that's not the bright side. Chivas are going to play by the same player acquisition rules as the rest of the league, meaning no mid-season cavalry to save the day.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can the Houston Aguilas be one of those 11 teams when they'll be a future expansion team? :confused:

In any case, fans are generally a little more lenient with an expansion team for its first season or two in existence.

-G

19. gvmsmiddie

gvmsmiddie New Member

May 25, 2004
    I'm not really attracted to the Mexican or South american domestic style of soccer, but i think its good for the USA to get a team with rich history and good fans to get the US more excited about soccer. I wish some teams in Europe like Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus, or Bayer Munich would start teams in MLS. They should do it like Ajax does. Have an academy and USL, A-League, PDL, or MLS team to bring the players along. Then they could just hand pick some players that they think have a future. That would really bring the game along here in the States.

20. Magi-Raistlin

Magi-Raistlin New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    SC
    Anyone that does not realize that MLS and Soccer in this country in general needs Chivas to succeed is being naive and just plain ignorant. MLS has stumbled about for the past nine years and made a lot of errors (shootout, extratime, clock counting down, big name busts in Hernandez and Lothar, and ugly uniforms/logos/and team names). They have made several strides forward, but are just recently starting to right things. Our league has lacked some serious passion and interest. From the moment that Chivas was announced as an expansion team people that otherwise would not think twice about MLS have taken notice. The team has a real buzz about it. Trying to convert nonsoccer fans can occur. However, this is a more difficult thing to do than to try and convert people that already love the sport to become MLS fans. MLS must sell soccer for the sport it is. When the league level of play is at a high level and the atmosphere is 100 times better than can be found at a game played at Arrow Head these people (nonsoccer fans) will be more easily converted.

21. CCTX SoccerFreak

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX

repped....