A great defence (CM) pair

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MlLoh398075, Jul 10, 2005.

1. MlLoh398075

MlLoh398075 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    A great defence (CM) pair A great defence (CM) pair
    Which two players are recommended to be working as a great CM pair this season? Won’t J.Woodgate and I.Helguera be an awful combination like W.Samuel and I.Helguera according to the record of RM lost ball last season? Which defender’s chance is the maximum for joining RM to increase the defence recently? It’s R.Ferdinand or someone? If Woodgate is seriously injured himself and misses many matches, who really can replace him to play a successful defender role?

2. MlLoh398075

MlLoh398075 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Sorry I type wrong word. It’s CDCD not CM.

3. parshva

parshva New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Mumbai,India
    wat makes u think woodgate will not make a good pair will helguera?? hv u seen bot of them play?

4. mauritz

mauritz New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Jönköping, Sweden
    well, you can't really rely on that they MIGHT be a good pair. that's just not enough. and that woodgate MIGHT be fully fit this season is not enough either. we should keep samuel, and buy someone classy, like canavaro, nesta, puyol or ferdinand. but it doesn't look as if that's going to happen. :(

5. 10_Ronaldinho_10

10_Ronaldinho_10 New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    Helguera is a good player and an even better substitute. I say we get Sergio Ramos and Ferdinand and keep Woody and Helguera as substitutes. If Helguera doesn't like that then he can leave, we have Pavón in case Woody can't play for x-reason. He's not needed in the midfield because I think somebody like Ricardinho will be arriving in the near future and if Guti stays then he can play as DM. Ricardinho can play as DM too. We'd be fine without him so thank him for what he has done and let him leave as he claims he has a lot of offers.

6. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    we dont need ricardinho
    we dont need a DM, garcia and grav are our men!

7. 10_Ronaldinho_10

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    Who said we need a DM? That's not what I said. Helguera is supposed to be our third DM, that is why I said that. Pablo García and Gravesen are our men, ye!

8. MlLoh398075

MlLoh398075 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Re: A great defence (CD) pair

Recently I can’t seem to see RMA team as being complete and strong. I wonder if RMA weighs up a deal for Manchester United 26-year-old sweeper R. Ferdinand to be the current first-team action asap. I believe RMA just requires such a very important sweeper now. There’s such a rumor that A.Ferguson believes the club's fans may force Rio Ferdinand to leave.
    Won’t I.Helguera and F.Pavon be the ‘best’ CD combination? W.Samuel has joined other clubs by the look of it. Should J.Woodgate hasn’t now fully recovered from his long-term injury, things will really be looking bad for RMA. Look likes RMA still buy another centre defender. I personally recommend either 25-year-old J.Terry or 26-year-old G.Heinze. Although 32-year-old F.Cannavaro, Marco Materazzi and 29-year-old A.Nesta are also one of the world great CB, I find them a bit old. In my opinion, Terry is the best CD option. However, it seems that Heinze’s chance is bigger and he is working as a great CD pair with Ferdinand last season. For Terry, Chelsea impossibly let him go like Lampard regardless of how many RMA try to pay him. Whatever, I hope there’s a miracle despite one of them can be signed. He rarely injures himself to miss most matches. Furthermore, he still consists of the ability of scoring key points. His shots especially head-ball are quite fantastic accurate. Maybe many people find me wrong, but the words are a personal opinion, certainly many people can oppose such a thought. On the other hand, some of others possibly also agree with me.

9. 10_Ronaldinho_10

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos

Terry, Ferdinand, Nesta, Materazzi, Cannavaro. Man, you're suggesting either too old or too expensive players.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Materazzi is overrated. I seriously doubt that he will fit inro La Liga. He committs more fouls than Samuel. Heinze is a better idea, but he probably plays better as a leftback.

11. forcamadrid

forcamadrid Member

May 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't see the need for a new CB if we keep Samuel and Woody is back (which is happening). We will have Samuel, Woody, Helguera, + Pavon and Mejia as back ups.

12. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not even the best combination of players we already have. Pavon can't start if this team is to win the European Cup, unless of course the rest of the defense is excellent. The defense is shaping up to be failry scrappy, the strongest in years. Garcia has mid-table Liga experience, so he's a good base. Gravesen is tough, but also has some finesse and reads the game well enough to run the defense from midfield. He is already filling the gap left by Makalele. Diogo is even more of a fighter and could just develop into a Hierro replacement.

If this argument makes it seem like we're taking current players to replace the team of 2002, it should. That was the last time it worked.

13. MlLoh398075

MlLoh398075 New Member

Jul 7, 2005

Sorry I made a mistake for putting earlier recommended centre-back option with left-back Heinze. Here I have to modify such a option. N.Burdisso or F.Coloccini is my second option after Terry. I see one of them as R.Ayala successor.

Should RMA successfully sign Ferdinand, and for replacing Woodgate who is confirmed that he hasn’t fully recovered from his long-term injury, my top 3 CD option should be one of them
    Terry
    Burdisso
    Coloccini

Besides, I personally urge RMA can replace the current 30-year-old right-back Salgado with a younger right-back like D.Bonera or L.Galletti. Both them are the world excellent defender. R.Carlos is getting old and already has a backup, Carlos Diogo. Obviously, RMA is a little too biased here. Why waste money and time to buy some forward or winger recently (now already have Robinho)? For the most important priority, RMA should buy defender first. I expect RMA can sign some valuable defender this summer. :rolleyes:

14. LuisFabiano

LuisFabiano New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    how about Sao Paulo's Cicinho or Benefica's Miguel to relpace Salgado. But salagdo is so fit he could go on for another two years on the same form. great centre backs are
    Kolo Toure, Ferdinand (but expensive), Ledley King, Kompany, milito, colocini, Terry, Carvalho, chivo,

15. forcamadrid

forcamadrid Member

May 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Didn't we get Diogo as a Right Back???
    And why people keep mentioning Ferdinand as an available option. I don't think this transfer is realistic.

16. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Got a source?

17. ruudgullit

ruudgullit Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Peace Up,A-town Down
    Unless there is another signing I fear that the defense may again lead to the undoing of RM. Woodgate(chronic injuries, if/when he returns what's to say this won't happen again soon), Samuel(leaving or not, improved throughout the year, but still was a little shaky toward the end), Helguera(better as the season progressed, but still had several lapses in concentration).

18. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    Kolo Toure? Please! Not even top 50. Terry's best quality is that he never gets injured. I haven't seen enough of Kompany to judge but I've read great things. Chivo seems extreamely small. I like Colocini, I have to say. I believe if Woodgate can put his injuries behind him (a big "if") - then we'll have one of the best defenders in the world. In terms of skill, he's easily the best English defender.

19. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    I want to see Pavon and Helguera, until Woodgate proves that he is ready for pro sports again.

20. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Again, why do you want us to become an outpost for the English national team so badly? Rio Ferdinand and John Terry are not the only good defenders out there, not to mention the fact that Chelsea would never give up Terry.

21. AussieMadrid

AussieMadrid New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Australia
    Woodgate and Helguera would be a fine pairing at the back for us. Fine, not great - as I would have liked. I think 'the powers that be' at Real Madrid have handled the Woodgate situation as well as possible. Call me crazy, but I think you'll find he's over his injuries, training hard and won't have the same kinds of problems in the future - remember when people were saying Ronaldo would always be plagued by injuries? I guess that leaves us with Pavon and Mejia as replacements in the centre of defence. Again, that's fine, not great.

In closing, I'm confident that we have 4 central defenders who can all do the job at the back for us this season. My only qualm is that there are clearly 2 quality, experienced players and 2 lesser quality and experienced back-ups. I would have loved to have seen Real Madrid buy another top drawer defender(E.g. Daniele Bonera), or a promising up-and-comer (E.g. Sergio Ramos) to make everyone work that extra bit harder to hold down their positions. As it stands I think complacency could once again be our biggest enemy.

22. 10_Ronaldinho_10

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    Coloccini, Milito, Ramos and Chivu are our best options. And I think that if we went for Barça's Márquez he wouldn't mind coming to Madrid. He said many times that his dream was to play for Madrid and he waited a long time for Madrid to knock at his door when he was playing for Mónaco. In my opinion he signed for Barça because he wanted to play for a good team and in La Liga. I'm sure nobody here like Márquez though.

23. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not a question of liking Marquez. RM & Barcelona do not sell players to each other unless forced to.

If we need another CD, the guy to go for is Andrade.

24. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    We were after Coloccini last year before we signed Woodgate. As for Milito, that seems like a longshot to me after everything that happened. At this point I am praying for Woodgate to be healthy.

I still think Sergio Ramos is a target for the central defender role. It wouldn't surprise me to see us take a chance on him. Sacchi and Luxemburgo like him and he is Spanish. The key here will be whether Inter comes up with money for Samuel.

Hala Madrid

25. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Possible bad news regarding Woodgate. Cadena Ser is reporting that sources close to the team's medical staff are saying that Woodgate has once again suffered a setback with his injury, casting doubts over is possible return. I don't think this has been picked up elsewhere, but El Larguero is usually pretty good about their info. This sucks.

Hala Madrid