A fool and his money part II

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by ur_land, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    If anyone ever bids on Alan Lair, the outstanding GK I am trying to sell, I will soon come into a bit of money. I know I don't want to buy any expensive defenders (because the offenses in my series suck) or forwards (b/c I'm going to change to forward training in a season or 2 and can get by with my current strikers) yet, and my wings are pretty good right now. Which leaves two glaring weaknesses in my squad: MF and my coach.

My top 5 IMs are all solids. One has inad def, inad scoring, and pass passing. One has inad defense. One has divine set pieces. The rest have crappy secondaries.

My coach is a passable trainer with wretched leadership. I will PIC maybe 1 or 2 games the rest of this season.

I don't think it's worth it to shell out the dough for a solid/solid trainer right now. Would it be better to get:

a) an outstanding IM with secondaries?
    b) 2 formid IMs?
    c)A formid IM and a solid/weak coach?
    d)Buy an older formid IM with excellent or higher experience and passable or higher leadership and turn him into my coach next year?
    e) something else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to buy an external coach, don't get more than poor leadership. It's just not worth it.

If you can afford something else (better than excellent) after getting an outstanding middie, I'd go for that, I just don't think even a formidable will stick around with you for that long.

3. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I guess I should also say I'm likely at least 3 seasons from promoting, so might a formid then stick around a while, at least as a backup?

4. puddleduck

puddleduck Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Providence, RI
    If it were me I'd get a solid/weak coach to maximize training and then the best IM I could afford.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but this is also the time to make any stadium expansions you think you'll need in the next couple of seasons.

5. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Stadium expansion is already taken care of.

6. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    You should absolutely get a solid coach. If you care about TS you could spend money for the extra leadership, but if you're willing to just let them decay until they drop to disastrous leadership, you should definitely buy a solid/poor. Much more cost effective for training purposes.

I'd probably lean toward buying an outstanding IM if you have the money. If not I'd buy the coach and then save up. I wouldn't recommend the conversion route because you'd have to wait a full season and it might be cheaper to buy a formid PM and a player with excellent experience, rather than looking for them bundled together. That is just a gut instinct and I could very well be wrong. But I would definitely recommend a solid coach of some sort.

7. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    absolutely, a solid/poor wont cost you much but the gains in training/form are nice...

I was in your boat, bunch of solid/hi-pass MFs...bought one formidable without great secondaries last yr and he made a nice boost. If you have the cash maybe get a formidable with some passing...

8. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he'd stick around long enough. I wouldn't think you'd want to keep him as a backup, though... I'm not planning on keeping any backups over solid or excellent going forward, beyond that it's enough money to pay for an extra level of skill.

9. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Maybe I want to dominate the Big Soccer cup in several seasons..... ;P

10. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Just sold my GK for $1.8 mil. Now the cash is burning a hole in my pocket, and I know how to spend it! Thanks for the advice everyone.

11. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Update--I ended up not buying an outstanding PM. I bought a brilliant one! His secondaries are ********, but I got him for only 1.4 mil, so I'm pretty happy. Hopefully my MF will see a boost from this.

12. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Nice. Good luck with him.

13. Pal11

Pal11 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Vermont
    I guess you know what tactic you'll be facing in week 11 now! :D