News: A&E Lifetime deal ends a year early

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by AndyMead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    League press release:
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/#ae-networks-nwsl-end-partnership

A lot of positive spin and something about a "sleeve sponsorship", but it looks like the game of the week on Lifetime is done and distribution will continue through Verizon.

From my experience last night with the CONCACAF Champions League, the Yahoo! sports feed had none of the old Go90 problems. That said, several of us couldn't get the chromecast to work - I ended up casting the tab from laptop with no issues.

2. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Andy, I posted the same story on NWSL-News and Info. I didn't scroll down far enough to see your thread.

3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    without a TV deal, it's a big step backwards for the league. Looks very minor league-ish for the NWSL. Almost all minor leagues now have some kind of streaming service available for games.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well let's be honest. The NWSL is a minor league. It might be the best league of women's soccer teams on the planet, but it's not a "major" league in any sense other than the players on the field.

The WUSA's big mistake was trying to operate as a major league. They burned through five years of cash in one year. The plug was almost pulled mid-season of the second season and the third season only happened because of the hope that the SARS relocated WWC03 would re-kindle the WWC99 magic.

The NWSL's main objective is to just keep surviving. So far, so good.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought about posting it there, but the loss of the national broadcast seemed to me to deserve its own discussion. Then again, there's not really much traffic here anymore.

6. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to post positive news if I could only find some.

7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The ending of the equity investment is a bigger deal than ending the TV contract.

TheJoeGreene, sitruc and AndyMead repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed, but the "equity" could have just been A&E paying for all associated broadcast costs. In the end this could be much ado about nothing other than the bad optics of losing broadcast distribution.

NWSL is a niche league, and as long as the digital distribution through Yahoo! works, the fans looking for games are going to find them.

What is lost is the potential drive-by tune-ins, the ability to find a screen at a sports bar/restaurant, and the appeal of that to current and potential league sponsors. And the relative lack of league sponsors is the bigger issue.

In the end, the WUSA only ever filled 2 of 8 "premium sponsor" slots. Maytag and Hyundai if I recall with Aflac and a couple other second tier sponsors. Not enough to cover league operations.

Last I checked the league still only hand USSF hand me down sponsors - Cutter, Nike, and Thorne - plus Lifetime, which is still listed.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe the league is placing it's bets that they'll get a WWC19 bump like MLS got from WC02.

Then again, it could also be part of the larger behind the scenes stuff with the league. With a section of the owners likely wanting to pull away from USSF direct control into either and independent league or allied with another soccer organization (the USL rumors from last year), being unencumbered from some of the USSF negotiated contracts for a brief time might not be a terrible thing.

I've stated around here multiple times that I don't really see a way forward for the league until it deals with the player-caste system and the fact that the designated "federation players" aren't under league contract.

This announcement could just be on piece of a larger puzzle that's being worked on behind the scenes.

Disclaimer: While I do work indirectly for the league (as a photographer for ISIphotos, the league's contracted photo agency), and I know many of the principles involved personally from my many years in the industry, I'm not longer part of the written media. I don't talk to people about what is going on, and I have no current insider knowledge. I'm also not shilling for anybody. I want the league to survive and thrive, and like most of you I have opinions! Lots and lots of opinions!

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Does this mean the league will allow teams to broker their own tv deals?

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Was the 25% equity share known?

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think so. But it may have just been a stake as a payoff in case everything with the broadcast platform worked in exchange for A&E's investment/covering the costs. A&E certainly doesn't want 25% of the losses.

sitruc repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did we know that they weren't? The Courage had a local TV deal.

16. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was never a winning proposition for the NWSL as long as Lifetime kept insisting the match of the week be shown at 4pm on Saturdays

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To be fair, only one player passed out.

CoachJon repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to download the Yahoo Sports app to my ipad and iphone. In both cases I was told I needed OS 11 to download it.

I have an older ipad with OS 9.something and the software update says I am all up to date on the ipad. My iphone 5C [I can hear all that snickering!] has OS 10.3.3 and won't go any higher. As far as I can tell, the Yahoo Sports app is not available to download to my MAC.

So I'm going to have to buy some thing to be able to watch NWSL this year.

Not happy about that at all.
    - CJ (your friendly technophobe)

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #19 luvdagame, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    ...hmm. makes sense.

no team owner wants other people controlling their team/players.

owners probably wanted to make (& be fully in control of) some new kind of digital deal now, in a wwc year, and a&e maybe was preventing that.

don't the spirit have one this year?

20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Did you try just accessing games through your web browser on your tablet? Watched CCL on my phone browser this week as the app didn't work right.

CoachJon repped this.
  21. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Yes, the Spirit were way ahead of this. It's about time the Spirit got their heads out of the sand!

https://washingtonspirit.com/2019/0...ts-washington-announce-broadcast-partnership/