A duty to correct the record....

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by USAsoccer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    I made an argument yesterday that I felt Muslim leaders were not taking a strong enough stand in condemning the radicals within their ranks...

I am glad to report that my assertion is not substantiated by the facts in Europe, and based on this article, it would appear that my assertion is inaccurrate.

I therefore post this to clear the record...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20050708-124913-6475r.htm

Muslim leaders in Britain yesterday were swift to condemn a series of deadly bomb blasts in London and they appealed to Britons not to single out their community for reprisals.
    The leaders also made an unprecedented appeal to the estimated 1.7 million Muslims living in Britain to tip off the police about who had carried out the bombings.

That same appeal was made by the leadership of Europe's largest mosque and cultural center.
    "We call on the Muslim community to be fully cooperative in this situation, so we may all live in peace and harmony and continue to make London the vibrant, tolerant and peaceful city it is," concluded a statement from the London Central Mosque, whose golden dome rises above one of London's major landmarks, Regent's Park.

However, I still am concerned that how European Muslim leaders react is not a view popularaly held in the heart of the Middle East. As to that matter, the jury is still deliberating whether the Arab Street is being sent a mixed message by its religious leaders when it comes to terrorism...

2. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Bumped...so that the crow I am eating will be seen by those appearing later in the day...

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    No need to eat crow. It was a legitimate question, and one that I think a lot of us were probably asking. I was curious as to whether or not the government in Iraq came out with any condemnation statements.

It's tempting to say to the Muslim community "if you really sincere then help us nab the a-holes" but then you realize that they may have no more info about the bad guys than I as a Christian have about people who attack abortion clinics.

Still, there is some history of more moderate Islam saying one thing in English, and something very different at Friday services. It would have been interesting being an arabic speaking bug on the wall of the mosques in London today.

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    You just broke the cardinal rule of arguing over the internet: NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER admit to being wrong, even in the slightest.

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting stuff on BBC news tonight about bombing edgeware rd, the most arab part of london

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I think we were all wondering about that. What did they say?

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, that was lame. :D

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just call it the 'I'm a Republican' rule.

9. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    No good deed . . . . . .

10. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    can you say "spot on"? :rolleyes:

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sorry - I've been away from BS

It really shows what a stupid move this was for their cause IMO

Since my post they've discovered the identities of the bombers obviously. What is shows is that a bunch of out of town kids who actually no jack ******** about London and one of them goes to the muslimist spot and wastes a whole lot of people. not exactly fecking smart.

If they were half way thinking they would have gone for "whiter" spots than kings cross and edgeware rd.

12. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    Would this, however, tie in with the idea posited in another thread that this stems from confusion and self-loathing and may be an attempt to punish others like them? Of course, knowing nothing about London sounds good too.