A Different Kind of USMNT Fan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Mglnbea, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading these threads for a couple of years now, I have come to a possible realization that I am a different kind, albeit completely passionate, USMNT soccer fan. For example, I admit:

I liked Roy Lassiter.
    I liked Steve Sampson.
    I think Bob Gansler did a horrible job at the 1990 WC, both in putting the team together, and in Italy itself.
    I think Brent Goulet and Hugo Perez should have been on the 1990 team.
    I liked what Lalas, Harkes, Wynalda, and Ramos did at the 1994 WC. I hated what they did (and whined about) at the 1998 WC.
    I want the US to win every game they play, home and away, and I'm always disappointed when they don't do better. For example, I believe the US, here and now in 2005 and the future should always trounce the T&Ts, and Jamaicas and Haitis and Guatemalas and Panamas of the world.
    I do not hate Mexico.
    I like Paul Gardner.
    I like Bruce Arena. When he steps down, I would like to see a talented Brazilian coach be appointed USMNT coach.
    I thought Bora should have been retained after 1994.
    I liked Alan Rothenberg.
    I think the US should play in every Copa America when given the opportunity.
    I think the USMNT should play Mexico as often as possible in Los Angeles to better prepare themselves for playing in Azteca.
    I believe more US fans should show up for games in Los Angeles, DC, or wherever the team is playing. I don't think US fans should complain when more Mexican (or Honduran, or Costa Rican, etc.) fans show up at the stadium.
    I am a US soccer fan who has never really warmed up to Kasey Keller. I seem to remember reading an article (in Soccer America?) after he was left off the 1994 team where he said something like he hoped the US would lose every game, or words to that effect. Maybe I'm wrong about this one.
    I liked Lothar Osiander, but I think he was wrong to leave Steve Snow out of the first game in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.
    I don't think Glenn Myernick belongs coaching at any level of the US national teams. (Peter Principle at work?)
    I do not think Clive Charles, rest his soul, did a very good job {yes, I know the US came in 4th} at the 2000 Olympics.
    I think the CONCAFCAF Gold Cup is an important competition. Even as a US fan, I selfishly would like to see it played out in other countries, outside of the US, so the US would continue to learn how to win in Central America.
    I completely support the Women's NT.
    The US soccer teams, youth-mens-womens seems to be the main, maybe the only, thing that I can support the United States about, given its history-politics-expressed state of mind.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    But more importantly, how many USMNT replica shirts do you own?

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Hold on. Isn't everytime I see you you're wearing Newcastle?

4. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Interesting rundown of your positions. I agree with some of them and disagree with others, but I don't see any of them as being unique. There are always going to be minority opinions on any issue relating to the national team. Indeed, if everybody had the same opinion, what would be the point of coming to this website?

5. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several, starting in 1989.

Another thing I should have added:
    I love the '94 addidas "deninm" look jersey. When I first saw it, I thought it really looked heavy, but it was very light and enjoyable to play in.

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    agree
    at one time, in wc 1998 disagree
    disagree, good first step
    agree on Perez - can't remember why he was left off, he was heart and soul in the early years.
    Wholly agree with you!
    agree
    Die a slow death - hate, hate, hate
    disagree
    agree
    maybe - depends
    disagree, but thought that we needed Bora for 1994
    yes/no
    Depends
    disagree
    absolutely
    agree
    wrong about this one - I like KK
    don't like Osiander;agree about Snow
    disagree - he can pick up the balls and equipment, everyone can do something competently
    I still have hard feelings about this one - Donovan on the bench GRRRRR
    disagree
    agree
    Absolutely.
    sorry-disagree about the last part

7. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I still hate Mexico and I hated Bora ever since that year in 1999.

8. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit I'm dense.
    What exactly happened in 1999 that made you hate Bora?

9. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he coached the metrostars

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Yeah, that's a sticking point.

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry,the correct answer is "Burn those frickin' things!!!"

Thanks for playing...

SECURITY!!!GET THIS GUY OUTTA HERE!!! :)

Seriously,some good talking points there for the adults.

12. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mglnbea,

I agree with most of your points, especially about playing in Copa America. I know the argument is that it would take players away from MLS during the middle of the season(couldn't we in the worst case do without MLS players?) but its really disapointing to watch Costa Rica play and realize that should be our spot.

I disagree with wanting to play Mexico as often as possible. If we played them too often, after a while it wouldn't be as special. An regularly scheduled annual game in non-WCQ years would be ok.

13. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Agree with many especially the Bob Gansler and Hugo Perez. Disagree about Bora, I think we just outgrew him. Besides he has never been in one place very long.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That was 2 years ago, before I struck gold on Metro and USMNT gear. :)

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Alright, you're cool with me then. :)

16. Colo-Colo

Colo-Colo New Member

Jun 13, 2000
    I like Bruce too, and I definitely agree that it would be foolish to insist that the next coach has to be American, but I don't know that he has to be Brazilian either. I think Argentina and Mexico should also be looked at. I would definitely prefer a Latin American to a European.

17. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had me at hello...

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I certainly can understand why so many don't like Gardner (he's kind of a one-note wonder), I like him too. I think he has a good vision for how soccer should be played--attacking, creative, fluid, unencumbered by excessive coaching and tactics--so I forgive him his rhetorical overkill.

19. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Great point..... Supporting the national team is about the only way I feel patriotic these days. It's relief to know that they have nothing to do with the neocon politics, war, etc. the US now represents to most of the world.

20. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You remember when Ramirez kicked Lalas squarely in the nutsack, right? That sealed the deal for me. Luis Hernandez didn't hurt either.

21. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that. It was a cheap shot, chickensheeet, move. There are a couple of players from Mexico that I have no use for (probably Garcia Aspe heads that list!). But I do not hate Mexico because of the actions of a few thugs. I don't know if you did, but maybe you never saw, in person--not just on television, Wynalda or Harkes or Balboa or Lalas or Ramos play a national team game. Off the ball, and sometimes on it, they weren't exactly Little Lord Faultenroys!

22. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Gansler did as well as anyone could have, with a roster of mostly college players. Time has proven he's better than average.
    Keller will never get the respect he deserves, I suppose.

Continue.

23. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    You mean heart, soul and HAIR.

24. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perez had a badly broken leg that healed in time for him to play in 1990, but Gansler left him off. He and Goulet were European pros, Vermes was one as well, and I think Gansler was think of chemistry and Perez not being 100%. I have no idea why Goulet was left off. Either way it was a silly move. The thrashing against the Czechs really overshadows the narrow loss in Rome and the ineffective performance against Austria. That was men against boys.

25. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying our guys were saints, but I'm pretty sure I never saw them kick another man in the junk on the playing field ;)

Actually, the one foul that really bothered me was Jones' at Honduras in the 2001 WCQ. Yes, he got hacked, but the reaction was nuts when you're clinging to a tie on the road in the second half (fortunately, Mathis later saved the day.)