A "DC UNITED" Soccer Complex to Be Built in... Stafford VA?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by McOwen, Jul 14, 2005.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    OK. As you might have figured if I am posting this it is a BIT of a joke, but there is also a glimmer of truth/interest here for us...

I just picked a local Free-Lance Star paper today for Stafford County VA, and saw the "Stafford Recreational Soccer League (edit: whatever the hell that is) is just a few apporvals short of a deal that would give the volunteer organization $1.1 million in county funds for a new soccer complex."

"the group owns 114 acres... [and] It wants to turn the land into a soccer complex with 13 fields --some of them lighted-- an indoor facility, a stadium,restrooms, a playground, and plenty of parking.

Basically the complex would be built with $1.1 million from the county and then through PRIVATE donations...

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING AND DC UNITED RELATED:

"the rest of the complex would be built through private donations. [The group] is already in talks with several organizations including the VA Youth Soccer Association, the Stafford Soccer Club, and the national sponsors for the D.C. United professional soccer team."

Now for the hyper senstive serious doorknobs here I am NOT saying United is REALLY building THE stadium in Stafford. But I am ondering, is it "normal" or run of the mill for United to be involved in these types of local soccer projects? Have they done so in other places? (other then Md. Soccerplex?)

I figure this is of course innocent and at best community involvement in a nice project but could it also be (just a little) posturing by DC United to show the District government that they CAN find places liek this in No. Va. to build a complex?

Anyway, it IS interesting no matter what and a good thing for soccer in my area.

AND of course one can always fantasize right? :eek: I KNOW the kegs would be delivered much earlier if my "commute" was like 10 minutes from my house :D

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Wouldnt that be someone like Budweiser? A national sponsor for DC United?

In a sense, it doesn't really matter. What's really important is that another soccer complex is being built. Or planned.

That's another venue at which to hold Orange County matches.

Where exactly is Stafford, anyway? And is it a better weeknight drive from Annapolis than Germantown?

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United proposed a public/private partnership arrangement with Fairfax County a few years back on something similar. They ended up pulling out because the private contribution was going to be too high for them. DCU was hoping to use this opportunity to build offices and a training ground. The park they were working on Fairfax with was the subject of some major NIMBY action from the surrounding neighbors.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Go to BF Egypt and hang a left. :D

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Stafford is further out than Germantown. It's between Quantico and Frednecksburg on I-95.

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    could be sierra mist, or even addidas. doesn't really seem as though united is directly involved.

one might even read it as implying AEG is involved

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I once played a few holes of golf around Stafford. It took me about 1.5 hours to get down there and around 2 to get back. My God. Those Texas ads saying "Texas eez leyek a howel Udder Cuntree..." well they should have just dubbed over the Texas part and put "Stafford Virginia" in there.

Tim

8. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I am pretty sure this facility is for Stafford Rec Soccer League and Stafford Soccer Assoc.. Youth soccer stuff.
    There are more dang kids teams, travel teams, etc.,etc., around here.
    There is some sort of association between United and SRSL, but I couldnt find the particulars in a brief search of the site.
    Perhaps part of United's Youth Development stuff?

As for where Stafford County is, it ain't THAT far, Chico, geez.
    And besides, it's turn south at the Azores, and drive a while, get it right
    fer chrissakes.
    Just take I-95 south to Quantico, and your in Stafford County a couple miles past the base.
    Having United's facilities here in Stafford would so rule!!!!
    A 20 minute drive to the Stadium instead of 1.0-2.5 hrs..
    Oh well, guys from the sticks like Owen, Marshall, G and me can dream, can't we?
    Mark

9. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Imagine driving from DC to Baltimore but in the opposite direction on I-95, with even heavier traffic, and with far fewer cool things to do once you get there.

:)

That said, good luck to Stafford residents in bringing a new soccer complex to their community!

10. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep.

When I was a kid, the deep south started at the Occoquan River. Now it's moved to somewhere south of Fredricksburg. Stafford still has the occasional toothless granny on the porch with a shootin' iron in the lap, but it is also the land of Stokesie. He's from there, isn't he?

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    actually you could take the 50 to the 301 from annapolis and go over the bridge at dalhgren and over to stafford. i bet its faster than beltway/95S and its surely a nicer drive

12. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Some days it might be faster to go down through Fort Washington, cut over before Indian Head and down 301.
    Then come up 206 to Rt 3 and into Fredericksburg.
    Your about 2 miles from my house when you get to Ferry Farm.
    DaddyDett

13. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Thanks. I took that way to Raleigh once trying to avoid the I-395 madness south of DC. Guess I didn't notice the Stafford signs.

14. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    i don't think dc united officials will have fans driving to stafford to see a soccer game, the team needs a permanent place for their offices, iirc, they used to be at redskins park, right now they're at or near rfk, and train at the auxiliary field, didn't get a deal with germantown soccerplex, so this is probably it for them, unless the new stadium we're promised has offices for the team, it might just be a community thing

15. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Actually, the 301 bridge comes into Va in King George County, just south of Stafford.
    Mark

16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When people don't even notice Stafford, it's hard to be faulted for not noticing the signs.

17. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you gotta go back (i guess through fredricksburg?) to get to stafford. its not more direct, but given most times i drie 95 its slow as ********, its not a horrible alternative.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    it wouldn't be that long to stafford would it?

19. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    It's about a 20 minute drive to cross the county line.
    301 to 206 to 218 or Rt 3.
    It's about another 20 mins to get up to Stafford Courthouse.
    Mark

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Which is a great reference point because that's invariably where about half the Barra will end up.

The other half will be in traffic.

21. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Repped
    :p
    Mark

22. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Not really...

You ever seen the Dukes of Hazzard?

I KNOW the cops in Stafford

We'd so rule the place. :D :D :D

23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Cool. Now when Eddie goes down there to kick some ass, he'll have a decent field to play on!

If they build a DCU training complex down there, the players will end up living nearby. Then we will eventually forfeit a game because the players will be stuck on 95 and unable to get to RFK on time...

24. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I'd say Stafford is obviously too far out for a United stadium than I thought they were working on San Jose's new stadium in San Antonio.....................

(thank you all be here all week)

25. VAsoccermom

VAsoccermom New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Alexandria, Virginia
    and why not??? For us VA fans it will sure beat the heck out of trying to get accross the old Woodrow Wilson Bridge.... its slated to get worse before it gets better.... 2012 is a long way off....... and I have yet to be able to cross that dang thing on a game night.... I suppose if the club swiches its venue to Stafford, Marylanders would have hell to pay then..... :confused: