A crazy idea

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Nick_78, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ok, this is for anyone like me who believes half the fun is in getting there, and also doesn't have the money to shell out for a plane ticket. :D

I have done some research and a lot of painful math and figured that if 4 people were to rent a car and drive 10 hours each there and 10 hours each back, we could leave on Friday around noon, be there in time for the game and be back here in DC by late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning all for just under 200 buck a person. This price includes the car, gas, tickets to the game, food and drinks for the drive and drinks prior to the game for those so inclined.

Now, this trip will not be for the faint of heart. In order to keep the car rental price down and the gas mileage up the car would be an Oldmobile Alero, not a small car, but not exactly a big one either. It will mean 40 hours of driving, only stopping for gas and "nature breaks" and not really spending a whole lot of time in LA. In order to keep food prices down, it will mean eating sandwiches we make and pack in a cooler.

I think I've prettymuch talked one friend into doing this which means we need two more people who are as crazy as we are.

If anyone is interested, let me know. As soon as (or if I) I have 4 people I am going to set the rusty gears into motion!

Don't think of this as a horrible time stuck cramped into a small car with 3 other people for a total of about 80 hours in 5 days or so, think of it as an epic journy, a quest, a pilgramage, if you will, to go see United win back the cup! :)

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Kudos if you manage to pull this off.

Hell, kudos for even contemplating it in the first place.

3. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank you, I know it's crazy.........just crazy enough to work! :D

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

You could take a Greyhound from Washington DC to LA for 269 roundtrip and get there in 2 days......so ya know....just a thought....not as much fun but just a suggestion....and for 30 dollars more you can take a flight.........sorry.

5. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Have you considered hitchhiking?

Tim

6. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United

Yes, yes I could, but that is just a shade under 100 dollars more just to get there. Then there is the cost of the ticket, beer, etc, etc, etc. My plan is all inclusive! :)

7. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United

Yes, but then I also thought about being skinned like a deer. :)

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I was talking about this with Dougg from LN, but conclusion was that flying is way cheaper after gas/tolls/rent-a-car, not to mention 40 hours on road etc :)

Then again it's you, you might have some sort of US Marshalls order to not approach planes :D

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Ayyyyyeeeeeeeee.....I see...... :D

10. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Granted, math is not my strongest skill, but based on my math it is significantly cheaper to drive then it is to fly. I have driven this route before and if memory serves me, there aren't any tolls, at least no major ones that come to mind. I know there is one in Kansas, but we're going to SOCAL so if we hit the toll in Kansas, well, we have more problems than paying a toll. I do need to check and make sure the Alamo definition of "unlimited miles" and mine are the same. I'm not sure they anticipate people putting 5000 miles on a car in 5 days. :D

And yes, I am allowed on planes, the Marshalls have never caught me doing anything wrong...................yet! :)

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Tolls? I didn't run into any when I drove out to LA. I did meet a very nice officer in Tenessee and then two freaky dudes looking for a lift at the gas station outside Albequerqe and then of course the state troopers who wanted to search the truck in Arizona, and then there was that lady in Barstow who swore I took her tomatoes from her grocery bags, but no tolls......ahhh road trips fvckin love 'em!

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    hey what do I know, I never drove that way :) I can barely concentrate to drive 5 hours straight, which is pretty much enough to get anywhere in Croatia and few surrounding countries :D

13. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Albuquerque.

Albuquerque

Albuquerque

Albuquerque

Albuquerque

I have a little thing about people messing up the spelling on my home town.

And when you get there. Do Not Make Any Turns. Keep Going Straight Through.

Tim

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Nick if you act fast this might be worth looking into, maybe have straight flight, or small drive (compared to your epic voyage :p ) involved.

from another thread:

Frontier Airlines just posted a 3 day special:

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA--NOVEMBER 9, 2004-- For 3 days only,
    Frontier Airlines has reduced fares from Southern California
    by up to 33%. This sale is available from Los Angeles,
    Orange County and San Diego.

You can fly to more than 20 cities across the U.S. for $69-
    $119 each way (based on roundtrip travel). Travel is even
    valid to popular destinations such as New York, Washington
    D.C. and Florida.

Sample Fares (each way):
    Los Angeles-Kansas City ... $69
    Los Angeles-Philadelphia ... $74
    Orange County-Baltimore ... $99
    San Diego-Denver ... $99
    San Diego-Chicago ... $99
    Los Angeles-New York ... $99
    San Diego-Washington D.C. ... $119

http://www.frontierairlines.com/3daysale/lax.asp Don't know if you'll get it but worth a try. OC is easier in and out and HDC is between both.

15. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks, I have looked into all of them. Most of them require 7 days advanced purchace in order to get the deal. Then they add in all the mystery fees, then taxes, then more mystery fees and next thing you know, it's a 300 or 400 dollar ticket. Then there is still food, tickets, etc.

Oh and by the way, I would rather drive 40 hours on an interstate than 10 minutes in any town in Croatia! Man, that was one white knuckle experience I won't soon forget! :)

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

Relax, doc.

:D

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    you've got some sort of problem with tank tracks and mortar holes on road? :D

18. Plymouth Red

Plymouth Red New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Plymouth UK & NG2
    Hey good luck if you go this route!! I thought my trek across France and Germany to watch Forest was epic but this sounds awesome.

Oh and by the way I got a 28 day prison sentence (suspended) for my trip so be careful :)

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Did monkee get you in trouble? He strikes me as a little hooligan :)

20. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United

No, those were the good roads. I'm talking about the roads that allow exactly .25 centimeters between you and instant death from tumbling down a cliff into the ocean. :)

21. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United

I try to keep my prison sentences at 14 days or less. :)

22. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Id do this, except just under 200 is still too rich for my blood.

Being a broke college student sucks ass. I hope you get enough people though..I was thinking about doing this on saturday night as soon as the game was over :p

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yes but our sea is nice so it's not so bad :) guess that was somewhere in middle of Dalmatia, it's no wonder their supporters are so retarded, they have to drive that every day :p

24. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United

Yup, that was in Dubrovnik. Not much trouble with war-torn roads there. Now Kosovo, Macedonia and Bosnia, that's a different story all together. But I digress.

NattyBo, 180.28 give or take a few cents is the figure I come up with for four people to drive.

25. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fortunately for you, your trek to LA will not include oceanside driving. Unless the geography of the United States has changed since I last looked at a map. ;)