A+ Certification-is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by PSUdude, Jul 20, 2003.

1. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Hey all,

I'm thinking of getting A+ Certification. I want to get it, but i'm just wondering is there still work available if I do get it. worse case senerio is that I have something nice on my resume, right?? just trying to get some info

2. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I did it a couple of months ago. I was switching from one out-sourcing company to another and was "advised" to get it. Meaning if I didn't have it I wouldn't have a job. Sucked big time as I already have the MCSE and am close to CCNA.

It's a useful certification to get though. If you're new to IT like Helpdesk jobs it's a good thing to have on your resume. Some companies ask you to have for Desktop Support (like mine did) as it gives them some kind of guarentee that you know what you're doing hardware wise. For insurance I guess.

Studying for it shouldn't take long. A week to go over the hardware. I did both exams the same day and passed pretty comfortably.

The thing that rattled me most was the price. 2 x $145 is a little steep.

Tell me if you need and study guides or tips.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    There is 1 million study guides for it.

4. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    found a course being offered: a+ and Network+...good combo??

5. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    IT courses are a bit tricky to figure out. I almost went to Clark for Client/Server certification. It was a program where you get a combination of certifications like A+, C++, .net, java and a lot of others. BUt the cost quickly approached the 10K barrier. And when you take the courses, you have to really know a few things before you're willing to shell out the dough/take out the loan. Like.... what will the job market be like when you finish and is it economically feasible for youself AND how has technology changed just from the time I finished the courses? So if you go the full program route, make sure you have a good resource center that helps you land a job that you'll like.

Taking the clases on your own is okay too if you can get around the fees for the study guides and not really having much of a teacher/mentor - unless you know someone in the field with good connections.

Good luck regardless!