A call to revise the logo

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Old Man!, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the BC-Miami football game last weekend and prior to kickoff Gillette had a stand set up where you could win prizes for spinning this wheel and guessing which logo the hand would land on. THe logos present were the Pats, Revs and then Gillette, Oral-B and a few others.

When I stepped up to pick which one it'd land on, obviously I picked the Revs' logo and the girl kind of laughed at me and said, "You know, you're the first one to actually know what that thing is! Everyone else just says, 'I pick that flag thing'."

So this is just the upteenth millionth call to change the logo. I figured I'd just raise the topic again so the Revs front office guys know it's still a topic.

NEs logo is the only one without writing on it and is one of the few with no obvious soccer ball on it. Remember the part of the current logo where it says "Revolution" below the logo is not on the jersey.

I think people should at least realize that it relates to soccer or perhaps have a name on it so that it's not that "flag thing".

Just my thoughts.

2. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TF Sock?

Point one: You were at a pointyball game. No crap they didn't know the Revs logo. They're foolish pointyball fans! :rolleyes:

Point two: Could we possibly wait till the season ended to have these threads? I mean, there are a lot more important things to worry about than the logo right now!

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: A call to revise the logo

for once i agree, now i must go back to watching USA vs Nigeria and the homeristic commentating.

4. Chip

Chip New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Connecticut
    Um, lets see if I got this right. People don't know what our logo means, so we want to change it to help them? Short of adding words to it, how is that going to help? That'll just challenge those who may already know what it is.

I say booger off. Like it or not, it is our logo. If you change it you may please some, but I guarantee that you'll alienate at least an equal number of fans.

5. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And while you're at it, change the Galaxy logo to something more respectable.

6. Scorcho

Scorcho New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Portland, ME
    As much as I hate the Galaxy, I actually like their logo and home uniform.

As for the Revs, I think the logo and the jersey need an update. For the jersey, I'd like to see something a little more distinctive. Our kits are pretty generic right now.

As for the logo, I'd suggest something like the DSC Arminia Bielefeld logo. This has been suggested before. The logo can be seen on this website:
    http://www.dsc-arminia-bielefeld.de/

I'd like to some sort of a crest like this... with Old Glory in the middle.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like the logo,,,i don;t think thats the problem,, the problem is that the front office does not promote the team enough. If a new englander does not know what the logo is then thats a problem. Soccer fan or not, the Revs org has done a piss poor job of promoting this team. That fact that some kid calls it a flag thing is one prime example. Hell my wife hates sports off all kinds but she could tell u who the Bruins and Celtics are just by their logos because they promote thier teams and cram them down new englanders throats. I imagine the Revs budget is probably 1 tenth of what the pats is but they must do much better getting to the communities.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the Revs logo isn't that it's a "flag thing," it's that it does not work well at all on a soccer jersey, particularly one with a blue background. For that reason alone, the Revs should change the logo that appears on the jersey, and if they want to keep the "flag thing" for other uses (as long as it has a white background), then that's fine. The Rapids have 2 logos, one that's round with a ball on it, and the other with the word "Rapids" flowing over, well, rapids.

One thing we could do is a shield, sort of like the Paraguay crest. A round ball of 6 stars (like what we have now, but not looking like a photocopy of a photocopy) on top, and vertical red/white stripes, and some kind of New England historical reference, either the pine tree and cross from a colonial era flag, or a lighthouse or something.

As for the uniform itself, I like how we are the only team who does not wear the same color socks as the rest of the kit. It's a nice touch, and works well with the red side panels on the shorts and jersey. For the away kit, make it the opposite--red jersey and shorts (with blue panels) and blue socks. When we play in Chicago, Dallas, or Mutt-land, we can wear all blue, or a blue jersey with white socks and shorts.

Tom

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs, people! Wait till after them to worry about this!

I swear, I'm gonna Ignore everybody who's calling for a new logo, minus Tom Hill. He's cool. :D

10. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I think the one with the picture of the rapids is the old one. The new one is the circle.

11. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    But you're already ignoring me.

:confused:

12. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hate the Revs. I LOVE the Revs' flag-like logo. Don't change a thing of it.

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can read individual posts, you know. Don't tempt me to stop reading yours. :D

And are you calling for a new logo?

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's all the more reason to change the logo, isn't it? I mean who cares what Galaxy fans who make the cow-shaggers in Central Ohio seem like Hah-vid pHD candidates think?

15. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unless the logo has changed since last I saw it, the "stars" in the flag are obviously in the shape of a soccer ball. I think it is one of the better logos in the league right now, because it does combine soccer with the American flag in a nice fashion, and that flag is a great symbol for a club from New England named after the war that brought this country its freedom.

Next to DC United and Chicago, this is the last logo in the league that needs to be changed. Hell, you could probably make it a huge soccer ball with Revolution written across it and some of those fans would not have known what it was for.

16. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    I agree with the thread's premise. Our logo, kit and nickname are complete crap. Why the Betsy Ross flag (from Philadelphia) instead of our own? Which is:

http://www.flagofnewengland.com/flaghome/Default.htm