Alert: A California Men's National Team? ('Let's All Pretend We're Scotland!')

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by shinpath, Jan 12, 2021.

1. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    In June of 2021 a California 'National' Football Team will take to the field in Dominguez Hills in a four-team tournament with Darfur United, the Karen F.A. and Kuskutan (El Salvador), sponsored by WUFA, the World Unity Football Alliance. The first training camps will call up interested California players for tryouts on March 30. Contact us if you are a player prospect or if you wish to volunteer. Our 2021 fundraising site is now up and running. Please donate and support our historic, first-ever team wearing the Red-White-Green of the Bear Flag Republic. We hope that spectators will be permitted in the stadium and you can watch our first ever fixtures as a Bears/Osos supporter. Viva California!
    https://gogetfunding.com/california-football-federation/

California_FF_Jersey_Design_NEW1.png California_FF_Jersey_Design_NEW3.png California_FF_Jersey_Design_NEW2.png California_FF_Jersey_Design+4_SPANISH.png California_FF_scarf2 LAST1.jpg

Guinho and edcalvi repped this.
  2. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    4A6D4909-03A3-44F6-AC4B-A0597164033D.jpeg Twitter page here with 400 followers, help us reach 500!

3. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I totally support something like this because I think it would make Concacaf more competitive.

Puerto Rico already has their own FIFA membership despite being a part of the United States.

Unfortunately I think it's very unlikely to happen.

4. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    A FIFA recognized Federation? Check in 2028, but a team is happening now (see new post).

edcalvi repped this.
  5. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #7 Every Four Years, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    I wonder if Washington, DC would have more of a case from a legal standpoint. Until 1972 (when they were formally given the franchise in presidential elections) it essentially had the same status as Puerto Rico, though there is a slight (and largely meaningless) distinction in legal parlance. They still don’t have parliamentary representation. French Guiana in legal terms is more integrated into France proper than DC is into the US.

No one has ever asked for it, as the concept of the nation’s capital not being fully part of the nation sounds absurd, but from a legal standpoint it actually makes more sense than California does.

Personally, I think it’d be hilarious to see a DC federation apply for FIFA membership. Imagine how embarrassing it would be for the US for its national capital to argue that they should have their own national team. It could have consequences far beyond football.

In the unlikely scenario they actually succeeded in gaining FIFA membership, they might not be too bad from a footballing standpoint either.

I imagine DC residents would still be eligible for the USA, so any real gems would still play for the latter, but I think a team of MLSers and USL players born/raised in DC could more than compete with CONCACAF minnows.

USA vs DC in the Gold Cup at RFK Stadium, make it happen! :thumbsup::laugh:

Chesco United and edcalvi repped this.
  6. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Excellent thread hijack. I’m impressed.

7. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Hey, at least you're getting some activity! :p

Besides it was @edcalvi who got me thinking by mentioning Puerto Rico.

edcalvi repped this.
  8. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I don't think DC could field a competitive national team like California with 40M residents.

Even Hawaii would be better. Haha.

shinpath repped this.
  9. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    To be fair, this is the confed that includes Anguilla and the Turks and Caicos.

Chesco United, Guinho and edcalvi repped this.
  10. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Well, Hawaii has a larger population, but DC at least has an MLS club and arguably a better demographic for sporting success, if you know what I mean ;).

edcalvi repped this.
  11. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Hawaii has a Federation in CONIFA.

12. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d love to see Greenland in CONCACAF.

Chesco United repped this.
  13. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Latest promotional video. Team tryouts are go for April 2021 in SoCal. New improved website. Confidence is high.

The Clientele repped this.