A begrudging tribute

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by gyr0, Mar 10, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    So credit where credit is due. As a former Mutiny fan (and now a defacto Red Bulls fan by means of relocation) I have enjoyed watching the steady growth of your team.

The reason DC United was so dominant in the early years was the professional system of training and protocol put in to place early on by Bruce Arena. In my opinion, weekly preparation for matches (everything from booking hotels to teamtalks to organised training) is most crucial to building a coohesive unit.

This stands in stark contrast to my Mutiny side, who, despite their early success, trained on the dirt mound that was Houlahan, with little order or purpose. In fact, my club team won the opportunity to practice with the team early in their first season and it was a debacle. Rongen didnt even know we were coming, tried to get us kicked out of the stadium, and didnt even let us near Lassister or Valderamma (neither of whom were present for more than 5 minutes anyway) Basically we watched from the sidelines, while their training consisted of a 5 aside kickabout. Oh well, Cle Kooeman was cool.

My point is that there was no order and this reflected in their play. United has managed to forge a system which generates playing/coaching talent in a professional manner. I did some Red Bull match reports for cybersoccernews and ive worked with Red Bull on a few community events and this is only starting to take shape with our side thanks to Bruce.

You guys have proven you dont need big name signing for success on the pitch. As a soccer purist, I feel this is what will ultimatley put the butts in the seat. We now have a permanent training base and Red Bull Park will be a major upgrade, but after Mo systematically gutted our youth talent last season, so consistent short term success is unlikely.

On a side note, I must also compliment the noise the barra brava made in our empty stadium when your team came to town. Despite their drunken ramblings, the busload of drunken frat boys with whom I was forced to ride to and from the game pailed in comparison.

In any case, I hope to guys take the Champions Cup and represent for MLS. It is about time someone did.

Gyr0

PS: A warning: any guy wearing Red Bull horns is either A) a meathead from Staten Island or b) a meathead from Jersey. In either case, steer clear.

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how did a seemingly sane person like yourself get associated with the RedBull?

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Location, location, location.

Except that, by that criteria, I should be a Wizards fan (discovered MLS while still living in Nebraska).

4. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Location. I have a love hate relationship with this place. Love the opportunity, hate the weather. Love football, hate the fact the only available team is in New Jersey. Somehow I prattle on, but seriously, Ive always been a big supporter of American soccer (I was at the 94 WQ final) and I am proud we have a league. I support any move that is good for the game and exciting play is definetly at the forefront of this equation.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Was this pun intentional?

6. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    <rimshot> Was the pun intentional or unintentional?

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Kris is stealing my posts again...

8. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Word about Bruce and the early days at DCU....but what is going on with him and Delgado? That's like the story of the off season as far as I'm concerned. Ridge Mahoney spilling the beans that Bruce was going to make him designated player number two for RBNY is just mind boggling. I mean, FIFA has a phone number. Someone from RBNY could have called and asked if his [well-deserved] year long suspension was internationally enforced before leaking his impending arrival to the media and public. I'm also a little head scratchy over Reyna. Fine player in his day.....not the best on that painted concrete at Giants Stadium. To continue with my what's with Bruce diatribe, his announcement of a 4-5-1 is just not cool. Does he want less fans at Giants Stadium? Maybe all this will blow up in my face, but I gotta wonder what's happening in Bruceland.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's going to be a loooong summer in NY. A central defense rotation of Carlos Mendes, Jeff Parke and Taylor Graham has got to be one of the worst in MLS. Stammler's talent would be wasted if he was sent back there to strengthen that defense.

Your striker rotation is also questionable. Josmer Altidore, Mike Magee and John Wolyniec would have trouble starting on most other teams.

The midfield seems to be loaded, at least on paper. The strength of the team will be goalkeeping, fullbacks and wings. There should be plenty of quality service into the box, but no proven finisher. There's also a serious lack of speed at certain positions that could be costly.

10. BadLlama

BadLlama Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Gainesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As another Orlando expat (I wasn't as drastic as you, just went to G'ville), I can say I agree with your assessment not just of the early Bruce days but of Tampa Bay too. I mean come on...How successful could a team named the Mutiny ever be?

11. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thread starter has made a good point. People often ask me how I became a DC United supporter. And I've always said that it was the professionalism that attracted me to the club. Particularly in the early days, United seemed like the only team in MLS that wanted to be a serious club. The fact that they didn't choose some cartoon character name, and went with a simple, classy looking kit helped. But it was clear that DC United wanted to win things. Both domestic and international. And they proved it along the way.

12. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If you were born in a barn it wouldn't make you a pig"

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm not a country person, but I thought that pigs don't live in barns. I thought that lived in stys (sties?)

Wouldn't a horse be more appropriate?

14. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a neutral fan of the league. This is a great thread. It is my belief that the way DC United do things--on the pitch, in the front office, as well as in the stands--they are the classiest organization in the league. DC has a sense of 'family' surrounding the team and the right idea on how to build a club and build a roster that will work together and win. To use the DP rule is not an imperative, but rather bringing in quality players who have a desire to work hard together in a system designed for success is the way to go. Additionally, the connection between the supporters and the club's players is something that is special. I think DC's approach to building a club foments this kind of connection between fans and players.

15. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its actually a quote from Admiral Nelson when someone called him Irish because he was born in Dublin. I always hated the fecker but this let me use the quote.

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do have a choice! Go to every Red Bull game or just watch on TV and just cheer for the opposition. 1) you'll feel better about yourself years from now 2) you have a better chance of being on the winning side at the end of most games.

17. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    No need to knock the Red Bulls. Afterall, we do have the winningest coach in DC or league history and an ownership with deep pockets. The formula in NYC is just different due to the size of the market and the consumers themselves. On the one hand, I can completely understand basing the team in NJ-- a hotbed for youth soccer and a potential fan base. But then, this was Tampa to the hilt and that formula never translated to success there.

Still, I think attendance and success on the field will be on the upswing this season simply because the team enjoyed an undisturbed preseason. If Bruce can make a few signings, I think a second round playoff appearance is possible (and anything in MLS is possible as we know)

But I will be at the games and you can bet I will be cheering as long as the football is decent (I did much booing last season)

18. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Not that I don't want another or anything, but we've already done it once (98) and so have the LaLa Gals (00?).

Just saying, it's been done before.

-dave

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Much as I have fondness for Arena's time with United, I don't think that stat is quite right. I believe that Dave Dir or Thomas Rongen have more wins in MLS than Arena (and more losses for that matter). He probably holds the record for DC United, but Nowak might not be far behind.

Some stato needs to help out on this one.

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Soehn has a better winning percentage!