Año Nuevo, vida nueva - the Argentine NT News, Stats & Players thread 2010-2011 Part II[R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by RacingGirl, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon10

Brandon10 Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Año Nuevo, vida nueva - the Argentine NT News, Stats & Players thread 2010-2011 [R]

Everyone talks so highly of Barcelona and Spain, we mastered this in 2006.

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Año Nuevo, vida nueva - the Argentine NT News, Stats & Players thread 2010-2011 [R]

we mastered it long before 2006 amigo ;)

There is only 1 man alive with authority in futbol who knows what the greatest team of all-time is: Alfredo Di Stefano

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuTvNpPpRps&feature=related"]YouTube - CONVERSANDO CON D. ALFREDO DI STÉFANO, por Carlos Fernández[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

yes, but the man who made Argentina reached the peak of possession football is also the man who pulled the self destruct button. When the second half started, the German clearly had no idea how to stop Argentina, especially Roman deadball delivery.

Even by reaching only QF, he was on top of assist table in 2006 WC. Xavi and Iniesta combined made less assist in 2010 then Roman in 2006.

4. Brandon10

Brandon10 Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yea it's just sad that they don't get the appreciation they deserve, where Spain gets way too much credit for simply being the best in a bad tournament

5. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Which I guess goes to prove that the old saying about "there are lies, damm lies and there are statistics" is correct. Fact is Spain won the world cup and we have gone out at the quarter final stage in our last 2 world cups, Riquelme may have more assists, but that could be because all the play went through him in 2006 where as Spain had numerous options (Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Villa), and as for being the best of a bad bunch, isn't that what tournament football is all about? Italy in 2006 are, imho, the worst team ever to win a world cup, but they won it. There is to much sour grapes on here about Spain, we should stop moaning about it and hope that the Argentina NT can learn lessons from all the top teams, be that Spain or Holland or Brazil or Germany, more humility and less (we are great so boo yah sucks to you) arrogance is needed, imho.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

yes but I think that's natural , usually the finalist are the most remembered teams. Can you imagine the 06 side reaching the final? even if they lose the final they will be remembered just like Holland of 74.

despite scoring just 5 goals, most people will remember the 90 side more than the 98 because they reached the final and eliminated Brazil & Italy... in Spain case, they beat Germany & Holland who looks unstoppable at that point.

But Pekerman side will never be forgotten, best team goal of all time and best goal of the tournament are both Argentina.

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

lol lol lol lol You are invited to my house any day of the week, lol You still owe me, we have to watch a game together at least once!

Mesh with the formation put out by the DT (Basile, Pekerman and Diego). By meshing I mean that he can work well within the given system and then be able to bring out his full potential.

With respect to your second question, I'm not looking to compare Messi with someone else. At least it wasn't my premise to compare him to anyone. I was only comparing Messi to himself. Argentine NT vs Barcelona.

I know this is going to take us off topic a bit but Ill bite.

Players that meshed:
    Heinze
    Tevez
    Mascherano
    Veron
    Palermo
    Papa

The above played to their potential mistakes and all.

Messi gelled with the team against Mexico in the 2007 Copa America.

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

thank you ... need to give rep to others before yadda yadda

9. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007

In other news, an other vendehumo called D'Alessandro was now crowned this year's best player in South America...

El ingles Veron came in second place apparently.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

LOL el cabezon was a deserving winner of this award. He becomes the 5th river player to win the award joining Alzamendi, Enzo, Salas, and Saviola.

Veron was obviously paying off most of the voters, but he didn't get to all of them. What a joke. Veron did nothing this year, it was his worst season since he returned from Europe.

In other news, Erik Lamela was named one of the revelations of the year by FIFA. Not sure why Araujo was named as part of this, but apparently he is too.

http://www.riverplate.com/Noticias/...-river-entre-las-revelaciones-de-la-fifa.html

11. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007

I honestly think Conca had (has) more of an impact on his team then D'Alessandro did this year.

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

El Toque Rio Platense is something that Argentina has mastered LONNNNGGGGG before Europe or Spain in particular even knew about it.

This is something that I was touching beyond during the World Cup. Spain all of a sudden "discovered" possession futbol and now they are the inventors of this marvelous style of play.

GIVE ME A FCUKING BREAK!

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

"X invented it, Y perfected it." Better to be Y.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't necessarily believe that Spain plays the possession game better than Argentina or Brazil.

15. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007

History is always written by the victor Cosmos. Unfortunately.

16. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm becoming more confident in our winning the CA this summer. Which should start an upward cycle for the Seleccion. Hopefully this will get us back on track in terms of winning and confidence.

17. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Is anyone from the thread attending the Argentina - Portugal game in London.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

for some reason, if Argentina reach the final I think the opponent could be Paraguay or Uruguay...
    Brazil, I think they will using this tournament heavily to try out many things... of course Brazil is Brazil and could still win it.

19. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JtmR7vaqpA"]YouTube - 1.- EL ENCARGUITO (como llego) with subtitles[/ame]

feliz 2011

y prospera vida

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yea, but they won the Euros and the World Cup, so of course they get all the credit. We can play, but we need to win something.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

in the last 17 years yes, but prior to that Argentina won 2 world cups, 14 CA and 1 confederation cup. So Argentina style did brought tons of achievement if you look at the overall history as they already won WC, CA, CC, WYC and olympic.

22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Argentina invented total football long before Holland. Actually it was River Plate.

Argentina invented tiki taka a long time before Spain.

I feel 2011 will be the year Messi takes Argentina on his shoulders. He is maturing into a man both for club and country. It looks like he strange as it may seem believes in himself.

23. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007

Bad news for Higauin, has to undergo surgery and will be out 'till march. Maybe Lisandro will get his chance against Portugal?

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

For now, I think Lisandro is great option, 10 goals in 17 matches
    I'm not sure if Diego Milito will ever deliver in national team... Crespo has 8 goals in 15 matches this season.

25. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You are right Cesarini and Peucelle with La Maquina and Minella with los caballeros de angustia showed the Hungarians how to do it(remember Hirschel our great magyar coach in late thirties was then in Peñarol wit their great team basis of the Maracanazo.But despite La Nuestras reputation of only being the beautiful game Argentina futbol in the forties had bite it was in the late fifties our problems set in until Menotti.
    Personally I think we need to play tougher players in midfield and and at the back like in Menottis teams Passarella,Gallego,Olguin etc we have become too nice we need to show a hard macho edge enough of this lets be nicer than the Brasucas.These are boluduces another key issue is since Fillol we ahvent had a World best keeper.We really need to sort out this and the full backs.
    Messis,Teves,Di Marias,Pastores,Lamelas we have lots of.A World class keeper and full backs is more important than messi to the seleccion despite all the dribble that comes out of Spain