90 Minutes Soccer Magazine

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SABuffalo786, Sep 28, 2003.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I was at Barnes and Noble last night, and while sifting through the World Soccer's and issues of Shoot!, I finally found this magazine.

At 5 bucks, it's much too expensive for what you get. 57 pages of news from the Spring. Although I must say, that the articles are better than Soccer America's snippets. I really enjoyed the articles on Ronnie O'Brien and Brian McBride at Everton. I haven't read the Steve Nicol article, but I must say it looks intressting.

Their website says that a new format is coming out with the October 6th issue. I think I'll pick it up.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That issue has been out since like July. Did that magazine go the way of Soccer for Juniors, I think that was its name?

3. galaxybg

galaxybg BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 28, 2003
    southern ca
    us soccer media isn't that rad

i've seen a couple issues of 90 minutes - a good attempt, but poor execution. there is such a huge gap in the us soccer marketplace for a great print magazine - i haven't seen any good one's have you? Soccer America is great, but i think it's boring. Soccer is a youth sport and so heavily relies on marketing - where's the art direction and excitement?

i've never felt completely satisfied after reading any US soccer mag - but definitely have from the UK pubs, especially 4-4-2.

i work in the skateboarding industry. we have a market half the size of soccer in the US and about 6 great print mags that are always anticipated, exciting and make a ton of money.

give the kids what they want and yahoo, snickers, nike, etc will pour the ad $$$ in and make a great media outlet possible!

what's your take?

4. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I was wondering the same thing. I've got a subscription and haven't seen an issue since the McBride one.

5. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    New Ownership

90 Minutes is now under new ownership.

It will be returning to a monthly format.

The new issue will be out any day and has Veron on the cover.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does that mean that those of us who have (had) a subscription should expect it to resume with this new issue?

7. WayneColasinski

Oct 26, 1999
    Plymouth, MI.
    I've read an issue of 90 Minutes and it wasn't too bad. I've always thought that the US needed a good soccer publication. One that emphasizes the excitement and essence of US professional soccer. I think the problem with most of the soccer mags that have come and gone in the US is that they have tried to be all things to all people. One issue can contain an article on an MLS player followed by an article on coaching tips or youth tournaments. Soccer America has endured for over 25 years, partially due to its adaptation to changing times. But even they can put out an issue without an article or mention of the A-League, our second division. What British publication could or would do that? WE really need a magazine whose priority is the American professional scene (at all levels), National teams and maybe college. Something all the soccer nuts on these boards would get juiced reading:)

I hope 90 Minutes can do that.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: us soccer media isn't that rad

sounds like YOU should start up a radical new soccer mag and make a boatload of money!!!

9. galaxybg

galaxybg BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 28, 2003
    southern ca
    Re: Re: us soccer media isn't that rad

how about if i just try to do something good for soccer?

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I subscribed to that magazine just to try to support a new mag that looked like it could be cool. They cashed my check in April and I've never gotten a single issue. I've called, emailed, etc and I only get "We're looking into it." They aren't the best business people apparently.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just about subscribed, but something gave me the feeling that I wouldn't have any better luck than you're having.

12. flmls

flmls New Member

the people that wrote the 90 minutes started their own Soccer Post. They did it in conjuction with the Soccer Post soccer store franchise. I used to work for those guys, if you go to www.soccergamenight.com you'll see something about the new mag. Since they won't have the problems dealing with the inadequate ownership from SDA this mag should be much better.