9/8 US v Scotland [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by clavs, Sep 8, 2002.

1. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Let's try to keep in-game and post-match comments in this thread.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If the US does not win this by 5 or 6 there is REALLY somthing seriously wrong.

Scotland is a poor side and should be totally dominated. I doubt they could beat our U16s.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like and sounds like there are TONS of empty seats in Columbus. I wonder how the actual ticket sales were?

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At the 37th minute the score is 2-2. An abysmal performance by the US non-defense has given up two goals that should not be scored on a U12 rec team.

This is one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen from the US. They are SLOW and the intensity is nonexistent.

The Ape, again, has managed to place a team on the field that is MUCH less than its parts.

Hope Solo has NO business on the field as SHE , as keeper, is quite responsible for the lack of coverage in the defense/

5. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US defense hasn't looked good at all in allowing those two goals - and Solo looked out of position on the second one. It appeared early on that the back line was really paying attention to Fleeting, but then something happened after the 30th minute. Wonder how much they miss Joy Fawcett and Danielle Slaton?

6. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-2 halftime

The US is now very lucky not to be going in to the half down, as Fleeting just misses a shot in extra time. It seems apparent that Bryan is just not suited for the middle back position.

I wonder what substitutes will be made at half time?

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, it is 2-2 at the half but Scotland "should" be up 3-2. The US gave up a late WIDE OPEN breakaway that was just not finished into a virtually unprotected net.

The US is playing as poorly as I have ever seen them the Ape has set a new low for US Women's soccer with that half of non-performance.

The US is:
    SLOW
    POORLY ORGANIZED
    SLOPPY
    LATE
    UNCARING
    DEFENSELESS

It is only the high individual skill that has the game at 2-2.

This is VERY depressing. It looks like an MLS game played at half speed.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: 2-2 halftime

Maybe they should call in the U19s. They, at least, looked like that were trying at all times to be a team.

9. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Who is Wendy Gabauer Pallidino married too??? Is it Bill from UNC?

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Yes. They've been an item for a damn long time.

Suprised Mac has not been subbed in.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, at the 50 min mark it is now 4-2 US.

Scotland has finally shown just how BAD they really are. Both goals in the 2nd half have resulted from HORRIBLE defending by Scotland.

THe US's poor defensive performance will not matter if Scotland plays as badly for the rest of the game as they have for the first 5 minutes or so.

12. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    In all fairness to the team and especially the defense, they are playing with heavy hearts today due to Brandi's mom passing.

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This looks like an all star game. There is virtually NO defense being played. It is now 5-2 US.

Scotland is really playing poorly and is now looking like the truly BAD team they are.

14. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that part of Scotland's problem is the lack of depth. They flew here a couple of days ago, are playing in hot and muggy conditions, and only at the 60th minute did any substituting. Their defense has gotten worse as they have fatigued..

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is now, at the 72nd minute, 6-2 (nearly 7-2) and I really hope that the US does not take their foot off the gas.

Teams that are as bad a Scotland should be punished for their ineptitude at the international level.

16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6-2,. now.

Scotland is not having a good soccer weekend at all.

17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The US CAN score goals but the defense has not really looked much better. Min 84 and it is 7-2

The stands REALLY look and sound nearly empty.

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Supposedly the attendance is hovering around the 6000 range.

According to thegoofy1, a Cowlumbus resident, promo for this match was nonexistant.

:eek:

What happened to Abby's foot. Hat trick.

Mia double hat trick.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have to say that Mia seems to be a bit off her game, after all she ONLY has three goals and three assists today, Clearly a poor performance.

Game over 8-2 for the US. A through domination in the second half by the US.

BTW: Abby also had 3 goals in the second half.

20. lilcarlafan

lilcarlafan New Member

Nov 8, 2000
    South Bend, Indiana
    I totally forgot about this game I am so upset. I was reading for classes and turned the tv on and caught the last 8 minutes. Who scored I know mia and abby each scored hat tricks. Who else?? How did Kristine play?

oh my Brandi oh my. She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Did anyone tape the game??

21. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Hey FOF, do you have it in for Scotland for some reason? Yeah I agree the US played badly the first half but geez! Scotland's gals hung in playing fairly organized til the fitness started to go. Everybody looked so slow in the first half. I kept thinking "boy we really miss Millie!" Still mystified by April's obsession with Hope Solo.

22. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Would you guys wise up and get over the Solo thing. Here is why she was there.

April is in charge of not just the US National Team, but also the National Team program. With that responsibility comes development for the present and future. We all know anyone could have been in goal today and the US would have won. So, April uses it as an opportunity to get Solo some minutes. You see, Solo will not be with the team in the Nike Cup. You can bet that April will use that tourney to play her stronger players. If you look at some of the other players brought into camp, you can see it was not necessarily all the best players. i.e. she brought in Tullock for the first time, hucles is a newer player, mitts and benson are far from regulars. There are several more experienced vets who were not there. Now do you see why you saw Solo today? And, if you are April would you continue to develop 4 keepers that are in the same approximate age group? Hell no, you wouldn't. Yes, age does matter here. Think people and quit bitching.

23. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thata way Abbs!!!

she rolled her ankle

24. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm really proud of Scotland I think they played great. man especially for a team that basically is knew to the upper worlds of soccer. I also have a good friend that plays for them. she helped keep scotland in the first half.

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i was at the game

attendance was announced at around 6,000. it was kinda sad but i can tell you that the weather played a huge part in the small crowd. the temperature was well over 95 degrees and inside the stadium probably over 100. seeing as how the womens team caters more towards children i can see parents not wanting to beat the heat to see the game with their kids.

the first half was quite an uninspiring performance. the keeper for the u.s. looked very cautious out on the field, which was shown in one goal for sure, cannot remember the other one.

the second half was much much better. the players were much more aggressive, especially mia. she was all over the field and the team really attacked well up the left flank through benson and kluegel...

and heather got some playing time, which was all i was asking for :D