Post-match: 9/6, WCQ: USA @ Cuba, post-match {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by babytiger2001, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    F@ck off for saying that.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A shocking number of haters on the board last night.

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we're talking, Grant.

Can't wait for you to press Bradley on these next time you talk.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the usual suspects have been covered already. I'll take a shot at some peripheral issue analysis.

I wonder just how dark it was on the field? Sure looked dark on the stream I was watching. If the lighting was good enough for soccer, then there is huge energy savings to be had all across Europe, the US, etc.

Guatemala and Cuba - helping to lead the green movement of the sporting world.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the impact on at least some players regarding
    powerful Ike bearing down on the island. US players may have been thinking about getting off the island ASAP while Cuba players may have been thinking about impact on homes, family, etc, if it is a direct hit on the island. Hurricanes have a way of putting perspective on things. Or at least making it difficult to focus 100% on tasks at hand.

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW...

GAlavision people said at teh start that the field looked dark ONLY on the TV screens, and that depite the lighting not being the best in the world, that the players themselves -AT FIELD LEVEL_- could see very well, and that was why there should be no worry about lousy passing/finishing from any players...... (unless that player actually messed up)

And Grant asking tougher question would indeed be a welcome thing....

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Greece won a Euopean title by winning 4 straight 1-0 games in the qualifiers then winning 3 straight 1-0 in the finals.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    and in the process brought the state of soccer around the world into question.

Man, I still remember that final. It was like the height of totalitarianism in Europe. Dark Days.

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Oh I agree, the football was dire...I was just pointing out the fact that Greece managed to win the Euro's with 7 1-0 results.

9. jerseydan

jerseydan New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Some interesting news...NPR reports the Cuban crowd gave the US a standing ovation. Kinda nice if true.

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which is why for the longest i try to separate the people form the government there, as much as possible....

and yes, someone ought to try to give Manuel Díaz Rodríguez an actual jersey...maybe one of teh 5 US fans? Grant? Any reporter who went?

11. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Wasn't it awesome? The only thing missing were the rough polyester Adidas warm-ups, a running track around the pitch and long hairs pissing on the cement mountains behind the goals.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, we didn't get any lucky bounces or calls last night. In fact we got the one missed handball/PK against us.
    I agree that we have a lot of stuff we need to improve upon and i'm not making excuses for our team, just trying to correct part of your comment. Its not as if we were outplayed in those games, but we certainly didn't outplay them either.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it wasn't pretty, so it was therefore invalid.

I mean, you should have seen the posts during the summer of 2004 over on μεγάλοςποδόσφαιρο.com complaining about how dreadful the Greek team were, even though they won the tournament. Even Greek fans today would rather not have the trophy at all, considering how terrible they were when they won it.

;)

14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The commentators seemed to indicate that Cuba attacked a lot more vs. T&T, but just had a bad young goalie in that game. Cuba outshot T&T by a lot, but also got burned on the counter. They respected the US a lot more and sat back against us. I didn't see any game reports so I don't know how accurate this is, but I am just paraphrasing what Harkes and JP said.

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i certtainly didn't see a lot of sitting back in the second half .....and the US just could not show a proper plan to contain them and punishe them PROPERLY...that is my main beef with this game...the result, the three points on the road? Awesome,... The execution/lack of planning, lack of coaching savvy? Annoying.....

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed... either the US game plan or execution was pretty bad. maybe a little of both.
    Another shutout is a good sign though even if we didn't play our best game defensively there weren't many huge blunders and Howard made a couple good saves when he needed to.

17. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey

Right. I think Beasley played bad. I swear it looked at times he lacked basic skills, just horrible....but I am not complaining. All things considered, I am happy with the "Three Ugly points".

18. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany beat Paraguay, the USA, and South Korea consecutively in the knockout rounds by the same scoreline in Japan/Korea to make the World Cup Final.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Woah, that's my hometown! Though I haven't really been there in ages. They have a soccer bar now?! No kiddin'!

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    and their "group of I'm not dead yet" opponents were Saudi Arabia, Ireland and Cameroon...

21. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, though having lived in Dublin during that campaign, the Irish were legit that year (even though Roy Keane cocked up and got his ass sent home like a tool). They took 4 points off the Dutch and held Portugal to a pair of score draws. I watched the final match from the stands of Landsdowne Road and it is still one of my greatest soccer memories. (Standing in the monsoon in April 2002 when the USA came to Landsdowne and Pope scored right in front of me was another one!)

Hell they were the only other side other than Brazil to score against Germany the whole tournament (that 92nd Robbie Keane equalizer).

Saudi Arabia though... oh dear. :eek::eek::eek: That team was terrible beyond explanation!

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

The point was that (due to the luck of the draw) they reached a world cup final without beating a single european team along the way....doubt that has ever happened before and may never happen again.

23. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Ireland move and no one told me? Though I get your point, the draw did help them (though Paraguay is a decent side). Doesn't get much easier than the USA in the quarters and Korea in the semis though.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    No Ireland didn't move and Germany didn't BEAT them either....

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The Cuban defender heads the ball off his own teammate's back, the ball goes to another defender to toe poke it away, only for it to go straight to Dempsey, who himself wimped out of the previous high ball challenge.

That's a good bounce.

Bocanegra decides to toe poke ball into his own net and Tim Howard has to dive-save it on the goal line - that's a good bounce.

Hand-PK non-call - the guy was sliding with his hand on the ground. He wasn't moving his hand. That's a 80% non-call ... unless it's Belarus-Ukraine.

Mike's point was that Germany tied Ireland and then didn't have to face a single European team all tournament - Cameroon (3rd game ... although down a man when Ramelow was red-carded), Paraguay, the US, South Korea and Brazil.

PS. Vagaries of the draw - in 2,006 - the Germans had Sweden, Argentina and Italy in their knock-out games. Even if the nominal results weren't quite as good as in 2002, the draw was much, much tougher.