9/5/02: Job Hunting

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Sep 5, 2002.

1. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    from the edmond sun article....

is it just me, or does an mls team having to share their field with high school football teams rub you the wrong way. i can just imagine....sorry, your playoff game has to be postponed for the pep rally.

i understand the need to hold other events, but whenever i see grid iron lines (even at columbus), it takes a way from the whole "soccer specific" aura.

soccer specific stadium....soccer and concerts, that's all....

take your helmet wearing, pad carrying, field striping, tv timeout having, divet creating, grass ruining sport somewhere else....

at a point when most metro fans thought that the giants stadium field was in its best condition, it was heavily criticized by the players of roma/madrid.

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the Edmond expansion thread, and worry less about this.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Best condition this year, I think you mean. It's been worse this year than last, IMO.

I actually sort of dig this idea. Although SSS may be preferable, it's about the right size, and is pretty attractive. Since it's only a rennovation, it would probably be cheap. And the article makes it sound like a full-width field, although not quite full-length. Potentially an innovative solution. It could work like Naperville, except with grass and a wide field. That's not so bad, in my book.

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder: MLS on ESPN2 tonight at 8:00PM ET

MetroStars v. Dallas

5. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    To me it sounds like the REVS are heading towards [For Sale] sign. I think that the Kraft Family can NOT take it any more. I just lost all fate in the system,guys.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I hate to be so blunt about this, but did you read the article?

Consolidating the Revs sales staff with the Pats sales staff is a good idea. It seems to me that Kraft is going to cross-sell the Revs with the Pats.

This could be *really* good for the Revs.

Sachin

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the system depends on fate, then it's all out of our hands anyway.

8. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    feel for those who got left go, but it almost makes sense...the patriots likely sell themselves...optimistically, by combining the efforts, they're keeping the staff more productive/busier.....but i don't know how effective a football fan will be at selling soccer....

can you blame the krafts?

new stadium, great draft (cough* fix), the mls cup, great players...and they still can't get it together....

kinda like the exact opposite then the patriots...

revs should've done much more this year....

9. Yawn. Just another down in the mouth comment from you.

10. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question also, will they be able to put 16 - 20K+ people in the seats.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs would be smart to take a few lessons from the Rapids. Rapids attendance is up 23% this year compared to only 7% for the Revs.

One thing the Revs need to evaluate is their "create demand" ticket strategy.

The Revs may save a couple of bucks by selling tickets to only one side of the field, but you've got to think that a lot of fans paying $32 for a single game ticket at the 20 yd line get a bit irritated looking across the pitch and viewing a sea of empty blue seats at midfield.

Colorado's policy to close off the end zones and sell tickets on both sides of the field makes a lot more sense to me; both from the viewpoint of creating a better atmosphere at the game and in attracting more fans and thus generating more consession, parking, and souvenir revenue.

12. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    Didn't know about this. Thanks - I will be watching an ESPN network instead of Smackdown tonight.

13. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wizards and chiefs consolidated front office several years ago. Since then,the wizards attendance has gone up for 4 straight years. It obviously costs less. This isn't a problem by any means.

14. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ONLY 7% ? - I think that's pretty good. Right around the league average. I was then going to spout off about the Revs "wins" being down while attendance went up - but last year the Revs were 7-14-6 and this year they are 9-14-2. Hard to believe the Revs are actually a better team this year.

And Colorado was 5-13-8 last year and 12-11-3 this year. It is a lot easier to sell tickets when your team is winning. If you don't belive me, ask DC United.

15. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Isn't a lot of, if not all of, that CO increase due to the US-Mexico friendly in April being coupled with DC-Rapids? As well as the doubleheader with WUSA a few days before that?

16. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    The Revs moved into a new stadium this year--all else being equal that should have given them an attendance boost.

Another comparison to Col--the Revs also had a USMNT friendly double-header (v. Holland just before WC). I don't know how much of a bump it was in attendance for them, but it was the only reason I was at a Revs match this year.

17. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    What about San Jose? they are the top team in the league and they only lost one time @ home. Why no body come to them play @ home?

18. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Municipal quiere inscribir al Pescado - Prensa Libre

Yes, it's in Spanish. I don't speak the language either. Basically, it says that Municipal want Fish to go back in the next couple of weeks and register with the league there so he can play for them once the G season is over. However, some league offical seems to think it won't happen (or something like that)

Perhaps someone who doesn't have to rely on Google for translations can correct me.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a comparison of Colorado vs. New England average attendance for the first 6+ years of the league (including how they ranked compared to other MLS clubs that year):

Year.............Colorado.................New England

1996..........10,213...10th.............19,025...3rd
    1997..........11,835....8th..............21,423...1st
    1998..........14,812....6th..............19,188...2nd
    1999..........14,029....8th..............16,735...4th
    2000..........12,580....8th..............15,463...4th
    2001..........16,481....5th..............15,654...7th
    2002..........20,311....1st..............16,751...5th

Looking at those numbers, it's easy to see why the Krafts decided to make a change in the Revs front office.

While poor performance on the field has undoubtably contributed to some drop in New England attendance, I'm sure the Krafts feel their club should be one of the top 3 or 4 best-attended teams every year, if competently marketed.

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting little point here. Notice that the Revs have virtually the exact same attendance as in '99... but are one step lower on the ranking. One more small indicator of how attendance is improving in MLS.

21. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True in that I've seen their "Soccer Smiles" billboards and commercials and they are about stupid.

But my guess is that if they had better relations with their fans, made better player choices and better coaching their attendance would be so good that most MLS teams would have their own Soccer Smiles campaign.

22. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Looks like the signing deadline is Sept 28 for the Apertura 2002 season in Guatemala. Municipal want to sign El Pescadito before this but Ruiz's responsibiliteis with LA need to be completed before Municipal can sign him according to the Guatemalan rules. But if they wait till the end of MLS season (as late as Oct 20) they miss the Sept 28 deadline. Municipal is saying the the case is unique and that the Guatemalan Federation should make an exception, the Federation is saying that a rule is a rule.

23. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    PZ:

Just came back from work as Editor in a TV station.

Here it is a somewhat fast translation of the article on Prensa Libre:

The Municipal (soccer team) Board of Directors, through Roberto Cervantes said yesterday that Carlos Ruiz’s registration for the next tournament is a possibility, and that “the Fish” will be coming to Guatemala next week to fill in the corresponding paperwork.

Municipal wants to reinforce its players list with Carlos Ruiz, as soon as the Guatemalan player ends his participation with Los Angeles Galaxy. The U.S. Soccer league has programmed its final round, where Ruiz is playing, in October, and will end, in case they go to the final game, on October 20, in Boston.

By then, the registration with the Guatemalan National League will be closed. The tournament “Aperture 2002” rules says that, any new registration must be made, at the latest on September 28, one day before the second half of the tournament starts.

THE RED POSITION:

Given the circumstances, the ‘reds’ (team) have planned to register “the little fish.” “Carlos will come to sign the paperwork next week, before the registrations are closed. With that, he will be registered, even though not able to play,” said Roberto Cervantes, Director on the Municipal’s Board of Directors, in the first of the two steps required for the player’s registration.

“When Ruiz comes back, again, after his playing with MLS, he will be given his international pass and consequently, his playing accreditation,” added the exec8utive in what, supposedly, will be the final registration for the maximum goal scorer in the American league.

“They haven’t had cases like this in the league, and I believe they should take a more positive attitude. The problem is the league administrators always keep a very close and obtuse criterion,” said Cervantes.

ROSALES: “THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE”

What Municipal is trying to do to register Carlos Ruiz “is not possible.” According to The Manager for the Football National League, William Rosales, who gave us his opinion yesterday?

“The rules state that for any association to be able to register a player coming from abroad, the essential requisite is his international pass,” said Rosales.

“What is the purpose of ending registrations?” asked Rosales, “if everybody will be able to register any player’s paperwork?”

To register Ruiz, Municipal “would have to complete a formal registration. And a formal registration must meet all criteria. If you fill in the paperwork but you don’t get the international pass, the player is not registered,” Rosales ended saying.

HOPE IT HELPS...

EFREN95

24. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    "The field would be 345 feet long and 225 feet wide. That space is large enough to play both soccer and football games."

Someone needs to tell the people that 120 yds of field is required for gridiron football...not 115.