9/26/03 - The Clincher.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mpruitt, Sep 26, 2003.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    from the

Heinrichs had made no secret of her concern about playing an aggressive bunch such as the Nigerians. As part of their pre-Cup regimen, the U.S. women informally scrimmaged against the University of Virginia men's team one afternoon.

"With all due respect to the men," Heinrichs said, "these women play quicker. Nigeria closes as fast as any team I've seen."

should provide a little argument fodder.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    interesting too that the Fire's Bridgeport site is right next to Commisky, which apparently the guy they hired worked on as well. I wonder if he's also involved with the Bridgeport deal?

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: from the

Didn't they lose 3-0 to UVA? Hey, everyone makes stupid comments occasionaly...

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was just wondering that, and was going to try to look it up. Just because Nigeria or whomever may play faster, doesn't mean that the US Women played well against UVA now does it? I do respect the USWNT, they have a level of quickness and touch to their play that the men in fact don't. However, that has everything to do with the type of competition they face, and a lack of physicality in the women's game. imo.

7. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson New Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Richmond, Virginia
    Apparently they lost to UVAs RESERVES 3-0. It just goes to show the disparity between the women and mens' game.

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And UVA probably wasn't trying to kick the crap out of anyone in a scrimmage with the USWNT right before the WWC. :rolleyes:

9. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    WOW.

That is amazing considering how much everyone trashes college soccer. I know in professional women's tennis, the top boys high school players can easily beat the top womens players. I didn't realize that is the same with women's soccer.

10. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    There's a reason that the women's team typically has not scrimmaged any men's team higher than the U17s in the past.

11. dcsoccer2000

dcsoccer2000 New Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Yeah...anyone who shares a venue with the Clippers will surely fail!

BTW...where do they play? The Staples Center? Anyone who plays in that building with them must surely suck!

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Anyone else think that maybe the reserves were playing not to hurt themselves/the Women right before a World Cup?

13. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    And who developed the Staples Center?

Oh, AEG of course... so I guess they are already in cohoots with the Clippers.

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think April was refering to the type of play. UVA may not play a lot of one touch quick passes.