9/21: WUSA All-Star game part 2

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Jul 29, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  2. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
    they actually added her now :p

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wish that NONE of the WUSA's top players would play in the meaningless, useless, exercise in frivolity.

There is the chance, slight due to low effort defense, for a career ending injury and the, much greater, likelihood of a VERY bad game due to no reward for winning at all.

The effort level in all star games is always low and the soccer is VERY poor. See the MLS's joke game over the last several years.

Participating in this kind of game needlessly endangers the players while not even providing an acceptable level of play.

It would be better to have a "last place" playoff where the two last place teams play and the WINNER gets the first draft pick. Of course there might be players tanking it in that game as well due to not wanting to loose a position to the resulting draft pick.

Even better would be a WWE style death match between the coaches of the last four teams for the rights to the first pick. That would be worth watching and make as much sense as an all star game.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same can be said for most club and international friendlies. While we're at it, let's not play any preseason matches since players can be hurt their, too. Ooh, ooh - look at the players that get hurt at practice. Gotta put a stop to that, too. ;)

These games are played for the fans. The players know it. If they're not smart enough to stay out of the way of a take-no-prisoners player like Hooper or Diallo, then they will get hurt.

The idea is to have some fun. Let the glory hounds rack up their points if they want. The sane players will focus on what really matters - the halftime show. :)

-nat

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Do we get Paulina Rubio!?!?! :eek:

I've got tix to this match. I know it really holds no importance in the whole scheme of things. But it will be nice for the folks in the PNW to see some of their WUSA faves next month.

Uhhh...just hope Portland weather holds up for this match. Lord knows we need another MLS All-Star debacle. :eek:

So I take it they will allow more than 3 field player subs in this match?

And how will they determine who coaches. I still say coach by committee.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks in the northwest afraid of more than one bath in a year? ;)

7. caddisfly

caddisfly New Member

May 24, 2001
    Portland, OR
    At the Timbers match last night they were handing out information sheets for the WUSA all star game. One of the things on the sheet had something to do with paying $60 so you could have dinner with a member of the all star team. You don't get to pick the player, seating is randomly assigned, and I think each table sits 10 people. Unfortunately I was a bit intoxicated at the match and don't remember any other details. I also forgot to bring the sheet home with me. I haven't seen this mentioned on wusa.com or pgepark.com. Does this ring a bell with any of you?

PS- The weather will be fantastic at that time of year.

8. caddisfly

caddisfly New Member

May 24, 2001
    Portland, OR
     K<0coop. Thursday, Sept. 19th. The WUSA Gala will include a player seated at each table, player awards, speakers, and dinner at the Multnomah Athletic Club. Each table seats 9 guests and one WUSA All-Star. To order gala tickets, go to http://www.pgepark.com/connect and use the password "gala" to log in. Tickets are $60 each or a table may be purchased for $540.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From my WUSA Insider:

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coaches will be McDermott and Krikorian.

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.wusa.com/press_room/323583.html

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Akers, Charles to Receive Lifetime Achievement Awards

--------------------------

Well after a week of worrying whether or not my order went through, I was informed this morning that my ticket to this thing will be mailed to me soon. I better be sitting with Mia or Noftsinger!!!

13. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birgit Prinz.

14. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
  15. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is gonna be on my 18th birthday woohoo!

16. magster56

magster56 New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Orange County
    Question ???

Does anyone have an extra ticket that they are willing to sell for the All-Star game? I just need one ticket. I waited till recently to decide to go, and the tickets available are pretty high up.
    Thanks!

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    C'mon people buy some damn tix!!!

I just got an email from a PFE staffer and only 6,000 tix have been sold for this match but between now and 9/21 they are expecting this number to swell to around 15,000 due to other ticket factors (comps, walkups on the day of the match, committments by other people, blah blah blah).

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know. In the long run it might be better if the All-Star game does not outdraw the Founders Cup.

19. caddisfly

caddisfly New Member

May 24, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Did you get your ticket for the gala yet? I don't recall hearing anything from PFE about the status of my order.

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Have they charged your CC? That is what prompted me to email them. After going back and forth yesteday I checked my email this morning and he said he was able to track down my order and that he would mail off my tix today. What got me real worried was that he and I were not on the same wavelength. He said that I did indeed order my tix but through TicketBastard. I told him no that I ordered through the PFE site. Then he went back and did some more checking and did indeed find that I ordered through PFE. What I'm guessing is that he got the game and gala mixed up. I ordered my game tix through TicketBastard. And FWIW...I'm not at all at ease yet until I have the Gala tix in my freaking hands.

If you PM me your email address I can send you the name of the person that finally tracked down my order (I've got his email at work on my work email account).

21. Trayster

Trayster New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Hey FearM9, I like that you picked the Power as your favorite team but that's the "NEW YORK" Power to you.

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Uhhhh I think I may have come on the wrong weekend.

I just came back from PGE and looked at the field and there are football lines on it. And I see no sign of a All-Star game taking place. No banners. No WUSA flags flying in the stadium. Nada. Ehhh but then again it is only Thursday. Maybe they will start prepping the stadium later today or tomorrow.

How long does it take to switch a field over from a football field to a soccer field?

23. timberlog

timberlog New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    stumptown
    pretty darn quick...

...using that pressure washer thingy to remove the lines they can change over pretty quick. Throughout the year they have changed from baseball to soccer (and more recently) to football in a matter of hours.

Dave

24. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    I just came from the field and the North and South Teams have arrived and are warming up. What a great soccer venue this is. You are right Fear, there are no banners around the field only the marquee (sp) saying "WUSA All-Star Game"
    Sept 21 1 PM. I spoke with the field management and they have around 20,000 seats sold. Hope it sells out. See you there Fear.

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Were you able to get inside?

I just got from the practice as well. I will post some stuff later after dinner.