9/20 Group D Brasil v Denmark [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by nsa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Tony DiCicchio said during the match that "Sweden is going to the Olympics", so maybe they do go through automatically?

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Denmark and Sweden will play each other in a playoff according to Steve Goff and wiki. Tony Dicicco and the ESPN broadcast this morning were incorrect.

3. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    As someone who likes Sweden, I'm disappointed to hear that their 4 points doesn't send them through to the Olympics over Denmark's 3. In reality though, a playoff is the best way to do it.

Around the 75th, 80th minute of the Korea-Sweden match when Sweden led 2-1 but needed two more to overtake the Koreans, I was thinking Sweden had to be in two minds - Send everyone forward and try to get the two goals, or protect the lead and keep Olympic hopes alive? A team should NEVER be put in that situation.

It's ridiculous that England can't qualify though, any reason they can't just represent Great Britain?

4. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Also exactly my question. Just what British women's soccer team is playing in London?

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There is a wiki for that too.

6. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    As an old CyberRays fan, I was totally tickled to see Pretinha get her moment of glory, particularly with such a great shot. She always played a bit in the shadows of the other WUSA Brazilians, but she was a treat to watch on a regular basis. I hope she's made her case for more playing time in the quarterfinal.

7. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/5394710.stm

"Great Britain will play with one team but it is up to them how they do it. It can be a mixed team, it can be from just one of the home nations, whatever they want to do."

A British women's team will also compete at the 2008 Games in Beijing, should they qualify.

England would need to finish as one of the top three European sides at the 2007 World Cup in China. Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany are the other four European teams taking part.

8. Dr. Mario86

Dr. Mario86 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Berkeley
    Wasn't Pretinha briefly with the Atlanta Beat as well? And which Brazilian was it in WUSA who was bald at the time? I thought it was Pretinha.

9. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretinha started with the Freedom and finished with the CyberRays.

Sissi was the bald one (also with the CyberRays).