9/20 Cherundolo - Hannover vs M'gladbach [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Treetaliano, Sep 20, 2003.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    1-0, Christiansen, Cherundolo with the helper via a cross.

2. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Hannover up 2-0--Idrissou with the insurance goal.

Can they get...... *gasp*

A clean sheet?

3. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. They give up more goals in the last 15 minutes then the Revs, even. They did change their keeper though, right? Maybe they've got a shot.

4. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    FT 2-0 will wonders never cease?

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    First goal was Cherundolo’s to a large degree: he caught the throw from Gladbach goalie Reitmaier, initiated the attack over the right wing together with Krupnikovic, crossed to the box, where a defence misunderstanding between Reitmaier and a defender caused the goal.

7. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Olafgb: Thanks again for your reporting. I have a question I hoped you could answer.

How do you rate Dolo's defending so far this season? Hannover have taken a lot of goals, and we all know their 'keeper hasn't been great. But could you give us a general assessment of Dolo's defensive game?

Thanks much.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    understatement of the year.He was a shambles.

9. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    His general defence on the wing is between solid and good. The problems start with the moving four-men-defence when Cherundolo suddenly has to play in the center. Also yesterday there was a scene, in which he suddenly was in an air duel against Arie van Lent (that's 5'8" vs 6'2" I think) - naturally he lost the header, but luckily it just hit the crossbar. I still think that it is a mistake in the system, but if you want a much moving defence chain, then you know to have a problem with Cherundolo's size.

But in general he's good. Before this matchday he is 15th among Bundesliga defenders according to kicker's ratings.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    lucky for us Da Bruce plays zone defense. Cherundolo rarely gets into that kind of sistuation for us.

11. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Awesome -- thanks again so much. I didn't realize he was getting such high ratings for his defensive work. Keep it up, Stevie.

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to get 'Dolo on the Spud Webb off-season workout

13. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Kicker rated Cherundolo 4, but gave him his third assist of the season. Sports channel DSF had Cherundolo in the ‘Top Eleven’ yesterday…

Part from kicker’s article:
    […] The construction “Goalie discussion” is finished at the moment – and by that a further requirement for quiet created. “In various aspects we made a step ahead”, believes Steven Cherundolo, but immediately restricts: “We are not yet a big team.” The try to not officially upgrade the aims is recognisable, but Cherundolo involuntarily stressed the word ‘yet’…

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Arena does play a zone defense, Dolo's biggest problem with the USMNT prior to the World Cup, was exactly what Olaf described. In any kind of defense the right back will occasionally have to go into the center and it was, and apparently still is, a problem for Dolo.

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    You are making way too big a deal out of his size. France won the WC with Lizarazu Brazil with RC, both shorter than him. Cannavaro is a great CD and he’s only an inch taller.
    Yes, he will lose the occasional header, but every player has weaknesses.

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brasil and Real Madrid seem to do pretty well with that short left-footed guy at left back. Now what was his name?

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Most MLS teams could score on Real Madrid. They don't do defense. Its beneath them or something. Which is what happens when you have apporximatly 3 players (including the keeper) worried about defense.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of size Cannavaro defends high balls better than Dolo -- than he has in the past anyway. Dolo has a demonstrated pattern of struggling with high balls.

I agree that every player has weaknesses and I have not suggested that Dolo be banned from the USMNT or anything like that. My point is that it is a weakness that needs to be monitored and weighed against the things Dolo brings to the table.

19. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Dolo is listed at 1.68 meters, which puts him just over 5' 5'' -- hardly 5'8'', which is Fab Cannavaro's listed height (1.76 meters).

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Dolo should be in the mix at Right Mid not Right Fullback on Nats....at highest National team levels, forwards usually either big/tall or superquick...and Cherundolo is neither...at Right Mid, US Nats could still utilize his workrate, positioning, defensive skills, crossing, and ability to beat guys in small spaces...

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Cherundolo doesn't have the attacking skill to play midfield at the international level. Landon Donovan, Steve Ralston, Bobby Convey, Claudio Reyna and even the aged Earnie Stewart all have way to much attacking skill for a guy like Dolo.

No, he either learns to compensate for his lack of height through use of his quickness (which he has plenty) and reading the game, or he doesn't make it at right back. Personally, if he can cut it in the Bundesliga at right back, he probably can against CONCACAF opponents at least.

22. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Despite his weaknesses SC is the best American RB in a back 4 if Sanneh is not healthy. If Arena was to use a 3-5-2 he would be the ideal right-wing back. But he is simply not good enough with the ball to play right-mid in a 4-4-2, except if you are playing a really tough game away from home where you’d be happy with a point.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you should get FOX SportsWorld. Dolo is PLENTY quick. He did one of the best jobs I have seen on Ze Roberto, the super-quick left wing of Bayern Munich. Dolo is among the quickest backs in the Bundesliga. Yes, he is short, but he plays in the toughest league in the world and seems to do pretty well.

24. Scumby

Scumby Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Vancouver, WA USA
    This is what I always come back to. If we had a midfielder or forward, or even a taller back that was doing as well as 'dolo in the Bundesliga he would be fawned over by most people on this board. So he's short, get over it. Hannover did, and I'm sure they've seen a lot more of him than any of us.

Scumby