9/13 Wizards/cRapids in/post-game thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by AndyMead, Sep 13, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, but if Dallas's suckjob just allows Gansler to keep his job and we get yet another year of the same crap we've seen since 2001, is it worth it?

Is it?

At what point is squeaking by enough? We've got the talent. At least the offensive talent. Our defense has been suspect all season, but we showed that we can score goals. It has to be the coaching. There's rot in there. We keep trading away our future, we keep playing for ties. Gansler has to go.

I'm sure he'll go somewhere else and win, and the the rot will set in there, too.

2. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this.

is EXACTLY what im thinking.

either he has to go, or he has to know that his ass is on the line.

anything less than second round of the playoffs, and he is outta here.

period.

3. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 shots on goal.....

There's nothing more to say....

Were done. This whole thing started when we lost to San Jose on Friday nigth at home 2 months ago. That game was make or break and we came out flat and lost. The last win we had in Columbus was totally undeserved too.

We were obviously over rated early on. I wonder what's going on in the locker room.

James

4. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS

5. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    We're going to make the playoffs, thats a sure bet. Just like last year and the several years before, they will make it but they won't go far (except for in 2000). That's not freggin enough though...make the playoffs but get knocked out the first round.

I think any other team in this league would be happy to have maybe 9 out of 11 of our starters, so we know we have a good team. Now I'm starting to agree with you all...it's Gansler. Get him out of there because when you have a team with Nick Garcia, Preki, Josh Wolff, Igor Simutenkov, Chris Klein, and Tony Meola, and those guys are unmotivated to win, SOMETHING IS FREGGIN WRONG.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't we're thinking that he'd be fired today. At the end of the season, yes.

I think the "slow to fire" thing is overplayed. Steinbrenner in the 70s/80s changed the scale of managerial madness, but most teams don't change mid-stream.

The real key in all of this is Curt Johnson. He's the one that has to make the first step. His own tenure also has to be at risk. The gains in attendance will likely save Curt his job for now, but he is also ultimately responsible for what happens on the field. And at some point what happens on the field does impact attendance and merchandising revenues.

Kansas City is primed to celebrate this fall. The Royals have stoked the fireplace all summer. The Chiefs are off to a good start, KC is ready for a champion. The Royals are fading, the Wizards have a great opportunity - that may never come again - to step in and ignite something. It all starts next weekend. A massive crowd, a big win, or at least an entertaining game... That's the key, the Wizards - for the most part - have been ugly to watch the entire reign of Gansler. It didn't matter in 2000 because we won everything in site. Last time I checked we finished 8th of 12 in 2001 and 8th of 10 last season, and we're quickly heading to a 9th of 10 finish, but getting in because Dallas sucks so bad.

We look bad, we're painful to watch. It can't be fun for the players, either.

7. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night could have been anyone's game, esp. if Wolde had been more accurate, the game was end to end the whole time, and honestly I thought that we looked like we were playing for a draw at home.

8. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    speaking of kicking someone in the gut, Zavagnin got a good one in one Beckermen.

HE SHOULD OF GOTTEN A RED OR AT LEAST A YELLOW since the ref is one of your boys HE GOT NOTHING!

9. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    This is a good point. It also furthers the 'slow to fire' thought. The attendance gains will secure Curt for the time being. He won't have to make a move during the off season.

Look to the Chiefs for an example of what Hunt Enterprises expects of the general manager -- season ticket sales. As long as that is taken care of then the GM is fine. Carl Peterson hasn't built a Super Bowl champion despite being about 12 years beyond his five year plan.

Curt won't have to fire Gansler this winter and he most likely will not. If the Wizards are in fifth place and look as bad as the last days of the Ron Newman era then perhaps Curt will make a move to help his own job security.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the two situations are all that similar. The Chief's games are an event. It's the place to be in KC on a Sunday. It would take a number of really subpar seasons for there to be a serious erosion in Chief's attendance.

With the Wizards it doesn't seem that the record has that much to do with attendance. Our attendance has steadily increased over, what, the past 4 to 5 years? In how many of those years did we have a really good team? One, in 2000?

The Wizards are trying to sell the sport to borderline soccer fans. The Chiefs have to consistantly have a decent team to fill the stadium. Remember the 1970's and 1980's. The Chiefs played before many small crowds. As long as Carl Peterson fields a competitive team, the stadium will be full.

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Woah, settle down slugger. Zavagnin made a poor first touch and was attempting to settle the ball. Beckerman left his feet (ie, jumped in the air toward Zavagnin and the ball) and met Zavagnin's foot which was at the ball. Zavagnin's only guilty of a poor first touch on the play. A ref has to call a foul for dangerous play in that situation but no card was warrented. If anything Beckerman caused the foul by leaving his feet.

12. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    It is the latter. Are-No.