8/7: Spirit v Beat Round 3

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 5, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    First off...it sucks major ass that this match is not on TV anywhere! No COX4. No WB36!. No Fox Sports South. :mad: In fact none of Wednesday's matches (well save for the Courage v Power match...but that's only on a local NY station...no one outside of NY can get it) are televised. This is gonna be a good night to go over to Prego Cheryl's to get ready for this weekend.

Well so far this season we have owned the hapless Spirit. The Beat have gone into Torero twice so far and have beaten them twice. Now on Wednesday the Spirit come into Herndon and are pretty much playing for pride as they have been knocked out of the playoff picture.

Now I really don't know what the Spirit game plan will be for this match. Is this a time for the Spirit to perhaps see what their "B" squad can do in this match? Obviously the organization is going to have to make some changes betwixt now and the 2003 season. Could their next two matches be utilized as sort of a way for the organization to evaluate the talent (the ones that haven't been getting alot of playing time) that they currently have?

And on the flipside...is this a time for the Beat to take a breather? The Beat play again at home against the Charge. Maybe give Bri a rest and let Melanie Wilson play the full 90? Maybe give Anne Remy some playing time?

Is melbrown going to this match?

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Sure we beat them twice, but anything can happen in the great sport of soccer, so we had better bring our "A" game! Obviously a win gets us in, but you know the Spirit would LOVE to play spoiler.

As far as I know, Melbrown will be there as I sold her the remainder of my season tickets as I am know following the Beat from half way around the world. Heck of a long commute, even for a Beat match.

3. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Yep, and with great seats...thanks again Ludahai!
    :D

You want me to call you with some updates?

4. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Spirit 12
    Beat 2

:D Have a nice day...........

5. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have to bring their "A" game. it would be stupid not to. this is must win if they want a playoff berth.

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    A team.

A loss to the Spirit could mean no playoffs, as we face Philly at the end of the week -- and though they may bring their B-team to rest the starters, I wouldn't put money on it. It'll still be a hard fought match regardless.

7. Beat4 Charge13

Beat4 Charge13 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I agree with giving Anne Remy some playing time.

She deserves it, plus Oklahomans RULE! :)

8. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Atlanta vs San Diego pre-match thread

We need this one. They hate us. What more is there to say? (Lots.... go for it!)

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Hey B --

Can you merge the good Dr. Lane's thread with the one I started up last night (it's several threads down).

Mahalo!

:D

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Threads merged.

Sorry old man, we need to keep everything in the same thread. :)

11. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Sorry, and thanks. I was having a senior moment. (that's getting to be a pretty good excuse for lots of things nowadays!) :D

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    No problem at all. Happens to the 'kids' as well. :D

===

So ... Anyone else getting nervous? I really dont want to say this will be an easy match for us, since San Diego could very well play spoiler for us in this match.

Do you think SD will come on full force or play their B-team?

13. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Oh they'll come on full force. Why would they not? Are they trying to race the Power for first draft pick?

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The power(less) wrapped up the first draft pick with their pathetic attempt at playing soccer Sunday against Boston.

Last place is all wrapped up. But the SD players will still bring the best they can. They are playing for jobs next year. There are very few players on any of the bottom teams that are secure as anyone watching the W-League knows. There are 25 or 30 or more players around the W-League that have been quite impressive, from all reports, and any player on the weak teams could loose their position and several on the strong one are none too secure.

A good coach would start all the players that have had a lot of time but under achieved and watch them carefully and then use ALL his/her subs early so as to get a good evaluation in the last two games so a plan for off season improvement can be set.

Look at the last few games from Carolina last year.

However SD suffers from coaching malaise and it is doubtful that he will implement any plan at all, much less a good one.

No plan could be the very plan that gives Atlanta the most trouble.

15. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: 8/7: Spirit v Beat Round 3

Melbrown,

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy them as much as my wife and I did. I will try to be on here during the match time Sunday morning to follow any PbP y'all decide to put on.

BTW, while palm trees outside my bedroom are nice, I don't EVER want to hear an Atlantan complain about the humidity. It is downright opressive here. It has been raining ever since I got here, though thankfully it isn't a typhoon.

What are our chances? Pretty good should the Beat take this seriously. We are obviously a better team than the Spirit, despite what the troller from San Jose earlier in this thread said in terms of a score "prediction". The last match, which we couldn't see, seemed to be all Atlanta once Sun put us on the board. I have every confidence Sun will come through again along with the rest of the team.

I am counting on y'all to keep me informed.

WAR BEAT!!!

Charter member of the Beat Brigade: Taiwan Chapter :)

16. Kicks2515

Kicks2515 New Member

Jan 5, 2001
    If the Beat had already clinched a playoff spot then I think we would rest some players and give some subs some time. But since we have not clinched yet we have to come out with a strong performance! Especially since San Jose is right behind us. I know that if any players on our bench were to start we would still pull it off but I think we should go for the win against SD and then if we clinch we can rest a few people in the Philidelphia game.

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  18. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Anne Remey? Her name sounds really familiar but i just can't put my finger on it... Did she play for the Tarheels? I think I remember hearing her name in a couple of college games televised on fox...

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Yup Anne Remy was a Tar Heel.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but she was not drafted into the league. I think she came in through the back way.

20. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember her now. Doesn't she play center forward or attacking mid for them? I loved her! I think she has excellent vision and I suspect she will be a very, very good player. I remember her and that the playmaker for Santa Clara (I think she was a sophomore then) in the finals. I was very impressed with both of them. What's that girl from Santa Clara's name?

21. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Stone is thinking of using her as a replacement for Sunny when she retires. I think Sun Wen almost retired last year do to her recurring injuries and maybe she will be gone next year...

She came throught he back door huh? hehe sneaky stone. Maybe he was afraid that someone would draft her before it was his turn so he arranged for her to join the Beat this way...I dunno just speculation ;) Anyways, I can't wait to see her in a Beat uniform!

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    You mean Aly Wagner?

She is sitting at home going "HOLY ************!!! The Power have a chance at drafting me next year!! :eek::eek:"

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well what I meant by this is that she didn't get drafted and I do believe she tried out with several teams and then the Beat eventually picked her up to be on the reserve squad. Hmmm...I wanna say she had a tryout with either the Freedom or Courage. Can someone confirm or deny this please?

24. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is on the reserves? Why? That's too bad. Talent like hers shouldn't be on the reserves :( I think she deserves better even if it means leaving the Beat and going to NY. I think they can use her there. Well, like I said, Stone maybe waiting for Sunny to retire then she can be on the first team...