8/29/07: One Million Dollars

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Aug 29, 2007.

1. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, there was one thing in that article that I meant to single out as particularly interesting ... then I forgot to post it. This is it ...
    The EPL, he grants, is perhaps an "inferior product," but he asserts that doesn't matter and that anyone who thinks quality of play is absolutely paramount "does not get it." He supports that league because it is his league. And that's why he has no real interest in MLS: it is not his league and he therefore rejects it and shuns any interest in it. So nobody should expect him to develop an interest in MLS and anyone who thinks he should (or can) simply doesn't get it.

Yes, no doubt some Americans do feel that way about MLS and that's why they follow and support league. But I'm quite certain the irony of that attitude is completely lost on the author of that article. The irony, of course, is that so many Americans do precisely what he says nobody should expect him to do: they develop quite cosmopolitan interests in foreign leagues in addition to their own.

Though, for some Americans interest in the foreign is so exclusive that they passionately reject and derisively shun MLS, their "own" league.

I'm not sure who "gets it" less: the parochial Brit or the covetous Eurosnob.

3. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The brit and eurosnob should be locked in a room together. Eventually they'd drive each other mad and just go to an MLS game to get away from it all. Oh the irony of the world shall continue.

4. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
  5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    [​IMG]

btw nice job collection the various articles into one thread for easy reading. :)

6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by falcon6
    Anyone else find the Carson Daily Breeze to be constantly negative towards Beckham? They even resorted to the misguided Nasl/MLS comparison. Also, hasn't Beckham already paid for himself? They infer he hasn't.

Ya, Why would they so readily criticize an entity which is bringing economic development and positive notoriety to their scrappy city? Talk about eating your young!

7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Read? Sure, maybe so. But selling papers? Are the stories anywhere near the front page?

8. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea, do you?

9. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I just read the articles from the Daily Breeze and thought they were some of the best and realistic stuff written about Beckham's effect on the Galaxy and how the team has been mismanaged this year. It's much better than the usual celebrity treatment newspapers in other markets churn out.

I think they did screw up the part where they write (I'm paraphrasing from memory) that the league significantly subsidized Beckham's contract. Outside the $400 K per year DP the whole bill is footed by AEG as the Gal's investor/operator - isn't it?

So the part hinting Beckham could lead MLS to overspend NASL/Cosmos style is overblown and somewhat inaccurate. But I liked the rest.