8/25/02 - espn play of the day

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by fidlerre, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham turns his defender from the right side just outside of the penalty area back to the left and hits the ball with his left foot and it curled over and down just above Cudicini's outstretched hands into the upper left corner of the net.

Guess that foot is feeling a bit better.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well okay I'm with you but you misspelled
    #@?&*$#@S!!!!!!.

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Berman has been the king of ESPN since like 1985. Olbermann was just a guy that got too big for his britches when he spouted off about how crappy Bristol was on The Daily Show. Now, where the hell did he go...everything he did after ESPN has flopped horribly.

Anyway, I believe Bob Ley has a fair amount of editorial control at ESPN now...perhaps that is why we get to see some soccer highlights. Let's face it...we may all rip Jack, but it would not hurt our cause at all if he were in charge of show content for a SportsCenter or two.

Oh, and on an interesting note...the guy that said "I am told people actually care about this.", John Anderson, is the same guy who gets bashed with a beer bottle by the Bristol Rovers fans in the "This is SportsCenter" commercial. Maybe he is just bitter... :)

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    The part that made it truly wonderful, though, was Silvestre's 60 yard cross-field pass to Beckham that set it up.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Of course, Northside, then everyone will equate you with this guy, so tread with caution.

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actually - what made it was the significant deflection the shot took off of Babayaro. I thought the Giggs and Zenden goals were much better - but then again they're not married to Posh.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't count on it. I wouldn't put it past ESPN to treat the baseball strike like the Iran hostage crisis - "Day 154 of the Baseball Strike - America Weeps" kind of bullshot.

8. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did anyone notice that the helmut ball season is underway. I think that may take up some of the coverage. (Go Skins)

9. Scott Van Pelt

Scott Van Pelt New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Bristol, CT.
    You bet your ass we'll do that because not only because it will get better ratings than the MLS, but because there 1,000,000 more people that are more people interested in watching Fehr and Selig go at it for months on end THAN WILL EVER GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR FOREIGN SPORT here in AMERICA.

Face it soccerdorks. We rip on you BECAUSE you complain, not because you don't. It's a game to us to see which one of us can generate the most venomous bile. The e-mails that portray us all gay are the best.

Be sure to keep watching to see if we'll either crap on you or praise your pathetic sport.

Yours,

SVP

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Garber, is that you?

11. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Methinks SVP=Various Styles reincarnated.

12. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Try Segroves

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well SVP or no SVP, besides Doug Logan ill-advised (yet understandable) letter and Don Garber's comments to newspapers - I haven't seen any airtime devoited to soccer fans gripes about lack of airtime.

99% of all the griping I hear about is on here. And NO One at Jim Romes show or Sportscenter has the time or interest to come here.

My point is - yes soccer fans complain. No one is listening. How would a SVP even know we complain?

14. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Absolutely correct.

And all it does is alienate the rest of soccerfans who after a while get a little tired of hearing people complain about the same things.

15. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    for those that didnt see it, you can see the goal at

http://www.goal.com/es/G/index.shtml

on the middle of the page in the white part with black letters click on the link "El estéril golazo de Beckham ante el Chelsea en la Liga inglesa 24 Agosto" its the 6th link on the list

once the photo gallery loads click on the button "foto siguiente" (next photo), "foto anterior" (previous photo)

16. conquerant

conquerant New Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 8/25/02 - espn play of the day

Not ESPN, but this PROVES there's an anti-cycling bias in the media! (The author's probably some lame soccer fan)

http://www.msnbc.com/news/785267.asp?cp1=1#BODY

17. Thats classic. I think its really John Anderson though.

18. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    First, So Fla Whatever, if you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd still be dumber than Mike Segroves. You ripping me? That's precious!

Secondly, I work in the media. There IS a bias in the media that I run into quite often. Far more than you, or Mike, or so many others of you who don't mind being fed crap and asking for more. I am tired of it, and try to do something about it when I can.

If you want to get on SOCCER FREAKIN' MESSAGE BOARDS berating fellow hard-core fans of the beautiful game because you need approval from some baseball fans at ESPN or Little Jimmy, expect to be dealt with accordingly.

19. You said it. There's bias in the media towards everything from politics, religion, entertainment, and sports. it just so happens that soccer comes up on the short end of the stick in this bias. I think you should be polite, but you should make your voice heard if you don't agree with something.

20. BallStateMiddie

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    As another member of the media and actually studying media theory/telecommunications at one of the strongest programs in the country, I concur there is definitely a bias against soccer, although it certainly is a little more subtle than it used to be even 4 years ago.

As for this writer, he is a complete chode, and I can't tell you how relieved I was when I put in my "disagree" vote and saw that 97% of 46,732 felt the same way. That means only 3% of people who voted are as ignorant as this guy. I really can't believe MSNBC would even print that drivel, considering Armstrong has kind of become an American hero, albeit a minor one.

21. BallStateMiddie

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas