8/17: Freedom v Charge [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Congratulations to the Freedom. Great turnaround this year.

2. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    wow who'da thunk it? The 7th and 8th place teams from 2001 in the final! But we will prove once again that we belong ahead of the Courage!

WAR FREEDOM

3. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    It is great to see the two bottom teams from last year in the finals this year. The Freedom has shown the Courage what they can do (Think back a couple of weeks). Let us see it again!

4. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Great to see the Freedom in title game. I thought the Philly team played better, at least offensively. The playoffs should be best of 3 in semis and final. A team could have one off game and be eliminated . All the hard work through the season down the drain.

Why do the soccer playoff structure suck in this country? The guys should go to 4 teams in playoffs instead of 8 and women should go best of 3 series. Get your act together.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  6. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
  7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So how is Mia suppose to be used in FC2? Second half sub or play the full match? If she is subbed in..does she play in the midfield like she did today or does she go up top.

8. foudy724

foudy724 New Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Hartford, Connecticut
    They should play her up top, coming off the bench after halftime. I think she's a lot more effective up there, and Freedom's offense is more potent; I think the Charge played an overall better game.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  10. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    Jacqui makes an impact every time she comes into the game. I think everyone knows that the Freedom got the better end of the deal on this trade.

11. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CyberRays fans are about ready to say goodbye to Pretinha from the sound of it. As for Freedom fans, I don't think too many of us cried over the trade - it was the principle of trading an international for a benchwarmer that rubbed the wrong way. But I think Jacqui's made believers out of everyone by now.

12. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I, for one, NEVER had a problem with this trade! Didn't even know much about Jacqui, just happy we got rid of Pretinha and her salary without losing a draft pick. Jacqui isn't a 90-minute player in this league, but is a perfect 30-minute sub and her presence may have helped Skylar's improvement this year as well. I think we got a 3rd round draft pick this year as well.

I was frothing mad at the Frenchie-Cook trade though, not so much any more. Cookie's contribution is the most underrated on the team. I watched her closely yesterday, she made a lot of good things happen for the team that will never get written up - goes for much of the season. Can't believe she came back just two weeks after knee surgery as well.

Still would have preferred to keep Cromwell and waive Gerardo - I think Amanda is the more complete package - but Monica made an intelligent run and took her chance well yesterday to even shut me up about that for awhile.

:D

13. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Bravi to the Freedom! Brava to Monica! Brava to Carrie! Great game. The Charge's formation finally caught up with them. Carrie Moore should be given some type of award for her marking on Pichon in this match and the one in Washington back in July. Jen Grubb is great and quite underrated. Also Gerado's goal was quite good. Wambach, however, was too agressive and probably should have received another card along the way. But the Freedom deserve it and Bravi to all of the Freedom fans who made the trip up to Villanova which felt quite hot indeed.

14. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Thanks Dennis - very sporting of you and it's nice to see a Charge fan not blaming the league ;)

I was wondering about the formation you alluded to - why hasn't Clemens been starting up front with Pichon? Seems she's a far more natural forward than midfielder and that she would compliment Pichon pretty well.

15. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    There was no doubt about it, the freedom won clean and put up the best game ive seen from them, they won every inch and disirved to win as much as we did. Ill represent the charge fans since the rest of them are on mars right now...you earned your spot in atlanta and enjoy it, to go from 7th to the finals is an accomplishment to savor

Congrats!!!

16. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida

well not all of us are. I like what Pretinha does for the Rays. There are a few players on the Rays that I would definitely want to let go before her. She has been great for the Rays in her midfield role this season.

17. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Well, not exactly

Actually Pretinha's done quite well for us this season. Jacqui was a super-sub for us last season, as she is for you guys this season (when you're at full strength), but Pretinha's been a consistent 90-minute player for us. From our presective we traded Jacqui's 4 points (regular season) for us last year for 11 (regular season) points from Pretinha this year. Pretinha also has been playing solidly in midfield for us, which will be of benefit to us when Sissi or Tisha retires (as Tisha has said she might do before next season). While Pretinha did not become the striker (Julie Murray replacement) we thought we would be getting when we traded for her, we've gotten a valuable midfielder instead. Pretinha does a lot of dirty work in the midfield and works hard the whole game, which might suprise those of you who only saw her last season. She's filled a ball-winning midfielder role for us (Pretinha with the slide-tackle in mid to poke the ball to Sissi or Tisha is a common sight these days), and has made some crucial defensive plays in our defensive 1/3 (yes, I'm talking about the same Pretinha you had last season!). I think she's really enjoying her role in mid for the 'Rays. The only reason most of us figure the 'Rays would consider giving Pretinha up is that we still need aother solid starting striker, and she and Alagich are more expendable at this point than Sissi or Katia should we need an international.

Also, as everyone knows who read the Washington Post article, Jacqui was apparently miserable here last season, so the trade was good for her in that regard. I really like Jacqui, and I'm glad that she's gone to Washington where she's been happier and able to play up to her full ability.

In retrospect, I think both teams got something valuable out of this trade, and it's really a wash as to who got the better end of the deal.

Even though Ian Sawyers was a dumbass and benched her for a few games partway through the season, I still think the 'Rays getting French for Cook was a steal. (I like Cookie a lot...I just like Frenchie more.) :D

Good luck in the finals, Freedom! I'll be cheering for you.

18. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    The Charge's formation of 4-5-1 caught up with them. Because Pichon was marked so well by Tribewoman Moore, the attack was stifled. We never really have too many good breakaways to begin with. We should have changed it around especially since Moore had covered Pichon before. We should have had Clemens upfront or add another forward for a 4-3-3. This or a 3-5-2 which we have done before. Our left and right backs in Mitts and Benson with the exception of Chastain(when she's not in the middle or upfront to begin with) French, or Slaton, the most offensive(especially passing-wise) in the league. We should have utilized this more. Also if we had won this match and next week we would have Pichon doing the trans-Atlantic flight would we had her start in the second half with the 4-5-1. Or just as bad would we had stayed with the 4-5-1 and had Clemens, or Martin or Koleski instead of Pichon. Pichon is a great player but with the heat and the coverage. It just didn't work and it should have changed for sure in the second half. Instead we stuck with the 4-5-1 which had been more or less working for us. However, it didn't on Saturday. Also Tullock should have started with on of the Chinese players on the bench for the first half. More subs because of the heat was needed. Still the Freedom played well but I am upset with the Charge.