8/17 Freedom at Charge PRE-MATCH

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Freestyle2000, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    blogspot predictions for Saturday

Washington vs. Philadelphia – Washington’s unquestionably the hottest team in the league right now. Seriously, what other team could afford to sit Mia Hamm for the first 45 minutes? Philadelphia has struggled recently, but many believe that’s because Coach Krikorian has rested some of his key players to help them rest up from nagging injuries. It’s a move that might backfire if Philly struggles out of the gate on Saturday. Washington tied Carolina for total goals scored with 40, so the Charge’s defense will have their work cut out. If it’s a close game, Philly has the edge. If it turns into a shootout, they won’t be able to keep up with the Freedom. I like the team with the hot hand going into the playoffs, so I’ll go with Mia and company.
    Washington 3 – Philadelphia – 1

Atlanta vs. Carolina – The Beat were on fire down the stretch as well, and soundly defeated Philadelphia this past weekend to secure the 4th and final playoff spot. Tom Stone’s got some great weapons in Charmaine Hooper, Cindy Parlow, and Homare Sawa, but Carolina’s awesome trio of Fotopoulos, Prinz, and Riise is almost unstoppable. This should be a high-scoring affair, with the Courage’s defense giving up a few less chances than Atlanta’s. That’ll be the difference.
    Carolina 4 – Atlanta – 2

For anyone who wants to read the entire article, which is pretty good, go here:http://my2cents.blogspot.com/2002_08_11_my2cents_archive.html#80193279

It discusses the best 11 in the game, and talks about awards like MVP, ROY and Coach of the year. Sadly, the best 11 required the player to compete in 80% of the matches, so Mia wasn't included. I'd put her in there on merits alone. A goal ever 63 minutes is just plain phenomenal.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any word on how Mak is doing with her ankle?

3. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    From the Washington Times:

Hamm Will Come Off the Bench Again
    By Ken Wright

"In women's soccer, there are stars like Julie Foudy, Brandi Chastain, and Tiffeny Milbrett, and then there is Hamm, who has no equal and has been playing like it."

4. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    from USA Today by Beau Dure:

Time for a few predictions:

#3 Washington at #2 Philadelphia, 1:30 p.m. ET: Mia Hamm as a second-half sub? That's been her role since returning from injury, and she's one reason why the Freedom avoided another disappointing year. Other reasons: rookie forward Abby Wambach wasted little time establishing herself as a top scorer, and Siri Mullinix regained the form that made her the goalkeeper for the 2000 Olympic team.

If you still don't know the Charge players, introduce yourself. They're missing injured English star Kelly Smith, but Marinette Pichon is the league's second-leading goal scorer (14) and Melissa Moore is the league's leading goalkeeper (1.00 goals-against).

Hamm and Wambach will make sure the Freedom gets at least a late goal, but Pichon needs only a couple of chances to lead the Charge into the final. (I know, that's awful, but it's impossible to write about this league without doing the cheap puns.)

PHILADELPHIA, 2-1
    ----------------------------------

My problems with this prediction: Well, obviously, the score. We'll get to that later. First of all, how many players are on this team? Did I hear three? No. I think the correct number is eleven. Also, the guy who wrote this has obviously never seen C.Moore shut down Pichon, or he'd sing a different tune. I'm looking forward to this match. I know I'm biased toward Washington, but I truly believe they're going to win this one.

5. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Jim's quotes looks like he hopes to bring her in for the second half but if we are in trouble he will make the move before that.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no

"As the road team, the Freedom will be allowed to dress the usual 16 players for the game. However, the full roster will travel and sit on the bench, so Gabarra does not have to choose his 16 until lineups are due."

Sounds like a decent compromise to me.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  8. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Charge are in Freedom's way
    By Dan Lauletta

Oopsie, I see Kevin has already posted this article. Sorry! I'm gonna leave it up just cuz I'm too lazy to take it down. ;)

9. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
  10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  11. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Soccer America prediction:
    Philadelphia 1 Washington 2

I think that's the second Washington win prediction I've seen. I don't give my credence to predictions, but they do make me feel a little better.

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fear's bigsoccer prediction league is almost unanimous in predicting a Freedom win, which actually makes me more nervous than anything.

13. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Scary aren't they? Predictions are sneaky creatures, because taken on face value, and given unbiased, they're typically accurate. If said team plays the way they should, then they win, but so many variables are thrown into that. All I hope is that Washington does indeed play how they're capable of playing. If they do, I'm very happy with any winning prediction I see.

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    That New Attitude article has one of the best pics I've ever seen. LOL, look at the grin on Abby's face. I love it.

16. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
  17. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    weather

Weather Forcast for Philly is:

87 F but feeling like 92 F. It will get as hot as 94 F. It is mostly cloudy with 57% humidity (ewww...) The wind is blowing at 5 mph.

There is a 30% of rain (isolated T-storms)

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: weather

No worries for the Freedom. I think they are use to this type of weather.