7/9 Gold Cup: US vs. Canada Post Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 9, 2005.

1. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    On the other hand, with all the talent they've sold so far, there's less chance of PSV going as far next season as they did in the CL this year. But I wouldn't knock the chances of a Hiddink-coached team...

I think Bruce should roll out the B/C team for Costa Rica. We just pasted them 3-0 a month ago, and we have to play them again in August in a WC qualifier, so you probably don't want to throw your best squad at them here, esp. since we're more or less into the next round, right? (CR and US = 6 points each; Canada and Cuba = 0 points each)

Noonan and Ralston are good MLS players, but a little too slow for the international game, IMHO. Noonan won't be able to get shots off at the WC.

I like Wolff as a backup at the WC, but he needs to be paired with a pure finisher.

Speaking of finishers... other than EJ (and Mathis before he flaked out), we need some clinical finishers. Bruce has gotta teach these guys to ATTACK, esp. when they clearly outclass their opponent. They're still playing too tentatively against CONCACAF teams, which drives me nuts!!!

2. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    i second that.

3. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I hope he takes the best from games 1 & 2 and doesn't play them in game three. We're through, and there's no way we face mexico until the finals either way (unless they finish 3rd) so why not let the core players rest for the quarterfinals?

4. ray of light

ray of light Member

May 14, 2003
    somewhere in this beautiful world.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT USA!
    Go Landon go USA!

5. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    if we can sign up that canadian guy to net us a goal every so often, this team will be much more potent on offense

6. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA
    To all those who mentioned Beasley looked lost in the midfield, I have to disagree. After watching him at PSV all last season (seeing him in person at the Vitesse game) I have to say he is the best or second best player (Donovan is also quite good) you guys have.

Maybe he looks lost because his teammates aren't making the runs or clearing space to help him out. I'm not trying to be contentious but Ralston is no Van Bommel and Wolff is no Farfan. I saw that he wasn't getting much help. That's why it seems like he and Landon "click" because Landon has a good football mind and knows where to go.

Just an opinion....

7. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    I agree with your assessment. The US dominated until perhaps the 65th minute when Canada created some chances but Keller was stellar (again).

Hard, clean shots on frame from outside the area would force defenses like Cuba's and Canada's to move out of the box. As it is, we do try too often to move the ball almost to the six yard box and other countries know this now and defend accordingly.

That's why Cuba stayed with us so long on Thurday. England would have sprayed cannon balls on them from 25-30 yards out and probably bagged a couple.

Still, we got the result that we deserved and I think this tournament could prove entertaining even if it's not seen by many as important.

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the most likely quarterfinal team we will play....could be anybody?

how bout the USA gets in the quarterfinal game on Univision so everyone can watch it, damnit

9. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    If we finishe first in the group, we play one of the third place teams that qualifies [either from Group C (Mexico, Guats, Jam, or SA) or group A (Hon., Panama, T&T, or Colombia)]. If we finish second we play the 1st place team from Group A.

10. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    didn't catch the match. happy to see the results. happier to see a healthy EJ, after reading the posts in this thread.

can anyone tell me todays line up?

also can anyone explain who the likely teams will be for the Reliant Quarter final games?

C1 v. A3 or 3B 2pm

C2 v. A2 5pm

still in the air on a 3 hour drive and $25 ticket plus parking to see a Jamacia v. Panama game. Costa Rica and Jamacia could be a fun match.

Thanks Orbie

11. J_Ibarra

J_Ibarra BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 5, 2005
    Bravo!! Onyewu! Bravo!
    Cherundolo, Ralston and Pablo Mastroeni played great.
    Most important, I'm happy to see John O'Brien back. He gave the team stability holding the ball.

It's early to say but I believe this is what were going to see in the future.

-----------------------KELLER---------------------

--------------GIBBS-----------ONYEWU--------
    CHERUNDOLO-------------------------------?????????

--------------------------MASTROENI--------------
    --------------O'BRIEN------------------------------

---------DONOVAN---------------------BEASLEY--

-------------JOHNSON--------MCBRIDE-------

GO USA!

12. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm still predicting Mexico to win group C (with SA finishing 2nd and Jam being one of the 2 qualifying 3rd place teams).

Group A, who knows. Panama will probably win it and Colombia will come in 2nd.

But we'll know more after tomorrow (when group C plays their second games) and after the Hurricaine moves out of Fla. allowing group A to play their next 2 games.

13. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
  14. Teleplus

Teleplus New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    San Francisco
    You're right, that is a big part of it. He makes very smart runs and is great at combining play but a lot of times no one is looking to play the ball through or making the extra run into space. Still, he shouldn't be played in the middle of the field.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised to see people not liking Vanney todayy. I noticed #3 early on, but couldn't figure out who it was (I was watching on a small TV far away at a bar) and when I did finally see, I was shocked. His crosses were pretty impressive. maybe not as good at the back end where he needs to earn his bread and butter (not much going down on Dolo's side, that's for sure!), but going forward I was impressed.

16. ray of light

ray of light Member

May 14, 2003
    somewhere in this beautiful world.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    JOB could be our Cocu or Van Bommel delivering long through balls to our attackers.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I think?

Our best player is Landon.

Our most valuable, least replaceable player is Eddie Johnson.

19. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Anyone else think it likely that Bruce will try to sit as many of the six YC-carrying players as possible? LD, DMB, AKA Pablo, Gooch, Sanneh and Heydude. Not sure what options that leaves at the back, plus not sure if Pope (who sprained an ankle?) will be able to go.

Dolo-Conrad-Vanney?

Just wondering ....

20. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed.

Ralston served a fat one to Patrick Noonan and, man, did he come close but, sheeit....that should've been buried!!! Argh....

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is (and continues to be) that Vanney is fundamentally not fast enough to play left back in international football. I mean he is absolutely glacial out there.

I don't even want to fathom Cristiano Ronaldo or Kaka running at him.

22. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only wish his shot was a bit heavier....he's got most of everything else under control...he's still lifting his game up too. Exciting to watch.

23. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

JOB was moving well, nice to see. Bracamonte was commenting about how the Netherlands schools solid futbol...while we're watching JOB.

He's going to get stronger...we gotta hope someone gives him the minutes....he's becoming more&more important as this squad gets into final shape.

24. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Gooch, LD, Pablo, JOB all looked good!

Overall, I guess I am happy about the win. Should have been 4-0. Damn Noonan...finish will ya'?

25. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The videos we've been fed from PSV seem to show a pretty confident DMB flowing and getting it done....agreed.