7/9 Gold Cup: US vs. Canada Post Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 9, 2005.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    US win 2-0. Still not firing on all cylinders - hopefully we can improve as the tournament progresses.

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want my two hours back.

3. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    it wasn't pretty, that's for sure.

thought Dolo had a great game though.

agree about Gooch too.

4. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    gooch just destroyed anything near him. MOTM

5. F.C.D.

F.C.D. New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Dallas
    I didn't follow the pbp so forgive me if this was covered but was it impossible to see the actoin on the near side of the field due to the shadows on the field?

Or do I need to adjust my TV?

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The thing about Gooch is 1) when he's being physical, it hardly seems like it 2) he does things so fluidly that we forget that a guy his size shouldn't be able to do them.

Agree MOTM.

7. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    no need to adjust

8. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is that 3rd forward on the USMNT is completely up for grabs and nobody seems to want it.

9. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    I thought Noonan looked fairly decent. A bit unlucky but had a couple of good looks. Him and Dempsy seemed to help their causes in this tournement so far imo.

10. Teleplus

Teleplus New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    San Francisco
    Gooch and Dolo were definitely our two best players today. Great run and cross by DMB.

11. reddog694

reddog694 Member

Jun 1, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been said, but I will repeat it, and I hope it will continue to be repeated:

Oguchi Onyewu is a BEAST.

Physically, yes, but defensively even more so. He has a lot to learn at the international level, but man is he impressive.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it kill the mids to learn a cutback move? The Beasley-Donovan connection in the 90th was pretty. The boys are going to have to pick it up a couple of notches if they want to go anywhere in the GC this year.

13. El Jefecito

El Jefecito New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Monroe, LA
    Do We Have Anyone Other Than Donovan That Can Finish???

14. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    Not positive but I think the next game is not important at all. Here is a schedule of competition play in PDF form:
    http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/goldcup/2005/downloads/GC2005_english_scheduleV4.pdf

As it is, we are through so we'll either finish B1 or B2. That means we will face (A3 or C3) or A1 respectively. IIRC, Colombia didn't bring a strong team right?

So it looks as though the game against CR is a great time to test some players like Marcus H. as had been suggested by Andy.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

In this tournament, not really.

16. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Boy, Ralston served a room service sitter for Noonan. Noonan gets disqualified for missing that one.

17. Teleplus

Teleplus New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    San Francisco
    He was.... ok. I really dont remember him doing anything of note in the match but then again the Spanish commentary was the only keeping me awake at times. He probably should've buried that header off that classly run and cross from Ralston.

18. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    Yeah he should have burried that one. But i couldn't disagree more with the disqualified part.

19. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    We definitely played better all-around in this game than we did against Cuba. Of course, the line up had a lot to do with that. I thought we were in clear control of the match except for a couple little sequences by Canada. Keller wasn't really challenged until they started throwing everyone forward in the last 10 minutes. We dominated possession for the most part.

I was very impressed with Onyewu, O'Brien and Cherundolo. Donovan had a quiet game, but could have easily ended with a brace if he gets a clean shot off on that one beautiful build up in front of the goal...flick on by Ralston or Wolff.

Ralston did some nice things, but could have done much better. I'll be extremely happy when we get EJ back because he seems to be the only forward we have, other than McBride, that can get a clean shot off most of the time. Noonan was non-existant in the first half, and almost redeemed himself with a sweet chip effort off the crossbar in the second. Wolff made some outstanding passes. Definitely more of a set up man than a scorer.

As a team, I thought we played well but we obviously need to capitalize better on our scoring opportunities. The game wasn't the most exciting in the world, but I never sensed a real threat from the Canadian side outside of a couple De Rosario runs.

As far as our top strikers are concerned...here is who I think our biggest threats to score are...

1. Landon Donovan
    2. Eddie Johnson
    3. Brian McBride
    4. Clint Dempsey
    5. DaMarcus Beasley

and obviously John O'Brien when he's completely rounded back into form. Earth-shattering list, I know ;) .

20. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I thought the US looked completely unconvincing. They just couldn't keep possession of the ball - it was stripped away by Canada almost every time. I hope this isn't the team that's going to Germany that's all because whoever is in that group stage is going to be a LOT tougher than Cuba and Canada!

21. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    My thoughts exactly! We can't finish for the life of us. Donovan early point blank. Noonan flubbed a training ground move on the ball that was put right on his head in the 2nd half.

...sweet chip in the 1st half though.

22. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Massive case of sleepwalking. Another case of when the other team sags back and gives us too much space in midfield, we play the ball verys lowly. Very slow ball movement allowed Canada to sit back int he box and defend.

23. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    That Beasley-Donovan connection was nice. I have a question are any Gold Cup games shown on webcast?

24. mathiaslg

mathiaslg New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Noonan's problem is that he just doesn't have that extra bit of pace that is needed at the highest level. You can see he knows what to do with the ball, and his field vision is quite good, but I am not quite sure his speed of play is at the level required for international matches.