7/5 USA vs Colombia Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoodlesMacintosh, Jul 5, 2007.

1. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 7/5 USA vs Columbia Post Match Thread [R]

I hope that wasn't Colombia's A side, because if it was, yikes. We were awful but hell our lineup mixed has been's, never was's, and kids, w/what one starter and it was only 0-1 and we had our share of chances. Uggh. Hopefully they were playing the young 'uns and scrubs too, otherwise I'd hate to be a Colombian fan right about now.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--

I need some reassurance. Collectively taking it up the behind for three games is in fact valuable "experience," right? Johnson is now ready to accept that Real Madrid contract!

3. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most people need to step back and take a breath. I guarantee most people on this thread demanded that we go to the Copa knowing that we were also going to have to deal with 1.) Gold Cup 2.) U-20 WC 3.) MLS Season 4.) European clubs wanting their players.

We played well for an hour against Argentina and Paraguay with guys who never had caps or had less than 10.

How anyone can say this tournament was a waste is beyond me. What exactly was wasteful about it?

4. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite

Brutal, absolutely brutal! I guess I'll have to watch the torrent of the US Poland U-20 game again tonight to wash the bad taste of this game out of my mouth.

5. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

An attack that couldn't generate quality scoring chances against an exhausted, 10-man defense with a field player in goal?

6. skaman

skaman Member

Jun 26, 2007

I wasn't impressed with the Argentina match.

7. deek_md

deek_md New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Orange County

Have we finally learned that EJ will not produce?

yikes..

8. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

Yeah, but that 1558th minute we would have been REALLY dangerous

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just want to know if Eddie Gaven has nude pics of Bradley's wife. I can't see any other reason he'd be on the field.

11. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--

blah blah blah blah?

EJ sucks, get over it. When Nguyen came in, someone held the ball, faced the opposition and moved forward.

Davies brought the goalie out to the freakin sidelined and EJ was still tempted to back pass.

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

I've never been so pissed off as when I saw guys ON the field smiling and laughing at their mistakes (Pearce, for example) while we were losing tonight.

Gaven is USL level. Maybe he can go tie his shoes and miss easy traps there.

The difference in heart between a guy like Ben Olsen and losers like Eddie Gaven or Heath Pearce is enormous.

13. kkmmtt

kkmmtt Member

Jun 2, 2005

Why EJ got the start today?i don't get it. Davies should have started instead of EJ.
    US played a lot better when EJ came out. Nguyen was all over the field in the last 15 mins. He should be started today!

14. jerseydan

jerseydan New Member

Jun 5, 2005

Well it was a waste for us fans...what the hell are sports for, if not the fans?

15. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Certainly it was a disappointing tournament.

But how anyone can be worked about today's match is beyond me. When Rico Clark and Eddie Johnson are your dependable veterans in the lineup you should not expect a lot of composed play.

Kleistan showed some promise. Clark looks good until he runs out of gas. Ngyuen showed something as well today.

Pearce looked poor. Moor looked poor. The central defense was shaky, which is too be expected. Mapp looked good but, as with everyone else, no end product. Gaven actually showed a little today as well.

Oh well. Time to get ready for friendlies and the WCQs.

16. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe Sigi asked Bob to call him up so he wouldn't have to play for Columbus.

17. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nguyen's a winger/A-Mid, not a forward, and if you think the EJ experiment is over you're gonna be enormously disappointed.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All I can say is experience. Good or bad it was an experience for our players. We may not see the results right away but these games are going to have some impact. What that impact is, we simply don't know yet.

As to the game, lackluster at best. Never really in the game, never really out of it. Just bland. Defense was fairly solid. We still gave up too many fouls in dangerous spots. We left our feet a little too early but all in all the denfense held together. Califf and Boswell are a bad combo. Pearce and Moor, I would liked to see get into the attack more but they didn't have that luxury. The looked fine with their positioning and maeking. Giuzan showed he will be in the mix behind Hahnemann and Howard. Nice dive the Colombian had to earn a penalty but just was served on the easy save.

The midfield I'm not sure how they played. I'm still thinking. Mixed results are coming to me. They were average at best. The attack, Eddie tried but he had no help. Hell it took me 25 minutes to realize Gomez was on the pitch. Nguyen and Davies were a bit of fresh air. Davies showed some quickness and a willingness to move forward quickly and eventually the decision making progress will catch up. Lee showed he was quicker that last game and I loved when he broke up that breakaway. He makes short quick passes and limits his touches and you can tell that's Dutch influenced. Like Davies his decision maiking needs to speed up.

19. skaman

skaman Member

Jun 26, 2007

EJ didn't know what to do when the defender dropped off him. He really wanted to shield turn but hesitated.

20. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando

Not even Guzan? Or is he excluded?

21. DmaulNdc

DmaulNdc New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Washington D.C.

Glad to see more of Davies, Nguyen out there. Guzan did okay out there too. Not too much love for anyone else out there. I think it sucks that they lost to such a crappy colombia squad. Way too many giveaways by both teams. The first two loses were easier to accept than tonite's Experiement over, hopefully this will pay off down the road. Ah well...

22. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Davies and Nguyen had fresh legs against a tired Colombian team. Even with that advantage, Nguyen couldn't match the Colombians' speed.
    Davies had his moments, but we'll only know his true value as a Nat when we can see him perform as more than just a sub.

23. skaman

skaman Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Guzan was MOM.

24. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

What I can say is there is bad soccer played in Alabama.

A recent conversation about how to improve the quality of our Alabama club teams to the point where we could compete with the better states in Region III turned to how Oklahoma clubs were able to be competitive with the better and more populous Region 3 states.

One answer is sheer number of registered players. In Region 3 the state of Oklahoma gets about twice as many registered USYS players from a state population of a million less people than Alabama.

Number of registered players in 2006-07: (rough estimate)

Alabama: 19,000

Oklahoma: 38,000

Total Population: (Estimated 2006)

Alabama 4,599,030

Oklahoma 3,579,212

So what is Oklahoma doing that results in so many registered players and what else do they and similar state organizations do that allows their quality of play to be at so much higher a level than Alabama?

Oklahoma is a good case study for Alabama because they have proven to be competitive in the Southern Regionals while Alabama seldom has a team make the quarterfinals. The size of the state, number of urban areas, clubs, etc. seem to be similar to Alabama's.

25. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

Guzans distribution alone keeps him from getting a 5...that was worse than kellers distribution.

Nothing he could do about the goal though.